illegal clear back license plate covers

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
fairyangel

illegal clear back license plate covers

Post by fairyangel »

I was just wondering if anyone of you guys know but I was pulled over yesterday and the cop told me that the clear license plate cover that I have on my back license plate was illegal. I had the cover on ever since I bought the car (...4 years ago?) and they had never pulled me over. Does anyone know if this is a new restriction or what? I mean, it wasn't foggy and stuff. I just wanted it to keep my license plate from fading and clear of mud and snow, because you could get pulled over for that too. Do you think it is illegal or the cop just wanted to pull me over just cause I got a flashy mx-3 that he wants?
~ Vrooom! Vrooom! See my tailights flashing...dissin' ya...dissin' ya! R U Ready? ~
Shady469
Supporting Member

Re: illegal clear back license plate covers

Post by Shady469 »

if it's clear and not one of the ones where you can't see the #'s other than if you look at it head on; i would think it should be fine. There are alot of ppl around here that have the dingy a-- yellow lookin ones and i dont think they ever get fused at.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Maybe that police thought you had one of those clear plate you put on licence plate that reflect camera flashes so they can't take pictures of your licence plate. I've seen those on ebay often.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
avino

Post by avino »

I'm not sure about the US. but here in Canada it's not leagal cause they say that it's difficult to read at certain angles because it reflects light. A friend of mine got a ticket for that.
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

I had one of those for two years untill one night I was pulled over, given a ticket, harrased and accused of trying to avoid redlight cameras. I bought the cover from the local Canadian tire. The bastard made me get out and take off the thing in the rain with his shitty-a-- gurber. I'll see that bastard in court.
hi
Skiddy

Post by Skiddy »

I know in New York state, they are completly illegal. When we register every two years, even on document where we have to sign, it says "no clear or plastic piece may be covering the plate" I got pulled over about a month ago for it, and i was speeding too. luckly i didn't get a ticket for either offense. I knew it was illegal but i wanted to keep my front plate from getting messed up. I am not sure how the law is in the rest of the states.
Skiddy
94' MX-3 RS Sparkle Green
Suspension Technique Springs
MS Style Nose
OEM Side Skirts
ke4ldd

Post by ke4ldd »

Sounds very interesting to me- I did'nt know they were illegal, but I guess it makes sence that it could make them difficult to see at times. However, the notation on the registration in NY must be a city thing. I've lived in northern NY all my life and there is nothing on the registration about these clear covers up here.
Greg<BR>93 GS BLAZE RED 5 Speed<BR>onehelluvaFUNcar<BR>"If things seem under control, you're not going fast enough"
fairyangel

Post by fairyangel »

yeah well, guess what? I forgot about taking off the covers on my license plate and a cop pulled to a stop light behind me. He didn't pull me over or stop me at all. I mean, was that other cop just having a bad day and decided to pick on me? Like I said, I had it on there for more than 3 years and never got pulled over. Oh well, just wondering.
~ Vrooom! Vrooom! See my tailights flashing...dissin' ya...dissin' ya! R U Ready? ~
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

Well, I guess I can count on being pulled over..becuz mine is covered, and my plastic is tinted....<i will definately play stupid if this happens>..had i not read this post...i wouldn't of known that it was illegal.<BR> ;)
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
heavenzjai

Post by heavenzjai »

hum...mine is tinted and plastic covered...u think i should take mine off? im in ca. and have never heard of such a thing. man i hope i dont get pulled over. i mean it looks good on my car, blk on blk
916 Blk MX3 V6
fairyangel

Post by fairyangel »

hahaha...just to be on the safe side, I would take it off...because you could possibly get a ticket for it...just play it safe and take it off though it looks good.
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Well the rule of thumb is: Nothing must cover the license plate.<P>Even though it's clear, light from certain angles will reflect off of it and make the license plate hard to see. Cops need to have an "unobstructed view" of your license plates at all times. <P>It's a small detail, so it depends on the cop in the situation. But just to be on the safe side, don't put anything on your license plate (besides a simple plate frame).
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
Edwood

Post by Edwood »

What about a really dirty license plate?<BR>That's even harder to see than a clear cover on a license plate.<P>What about a really rusty plate? Those are a lot harder to see than a covered one. Sheesh, just a bunch of bored cops on quota day.<P>Our little car look fast, but they aren't that fast really. I hate being singled out in a crowd. I have a little friend named "Valentine One" to watch out for me. :D<P>-Ed
"Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are."<BR>-Brillat Savarin

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”