How reliable is the MX3?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Bmr4life

How reliable is the MX3?

Post by Bmr4life »

I'm thinking about purchasing a v-6 model and was wondering how reliable they are. i currently have an 88 Honda CRX with over 170,000 miles on it and the engine still runs great. I don't have a lot of cash to spend on the car either, so I would need it to ruun fine the day i buy it. Most of the MX3's i see for sale have 90,000-130,000 miles on them. is it okay to buy one with this many miles?<P>Also, what problems seem to haunt these cars? Just so I would know what to look out for, Thanks a lot
Brainless

Re: How reliable is the MX3?

Post by Brainless »

The 4 cyl. is very reliable.<BR>The V6, from what I've heard, have a few problems but is still good in overall.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Sent over $2000 within the last three months and the spending has just begun. Time to get rid of this piece of s---. You cant push these cars like civics, they give up on you and things start to break on you very quickly.
hi
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

Oky well we all know what opinions are like....can I say that I have had my MX since I bought it off the lot in 93? to date just regular maintainence and a few other non-major things to fix....but I have never been stranded and when i have the beginnings of a prob. it get's fixed right away....the trick I would guess, is to take care of the scheduled stuff--->like oil changes, flushing radiator etc...when it needs...these cars you peeps are picking up with 100,000 miles or so.could have beaten to shite..how would you know any different?--->one irritating "old age" prob is a rough idle..that nobody seems to have one kind of fix for...it's tolerable tho... :roll:
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

Oh ya my ride is a 92 RS with 101,000 miles and she still runs strong :D
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
Gruneun

Post by Gruneun »

A nasty coolant leak from a cracked head (the engine's, not mine... which would have been cheaper to fix) had my V6 off the road for a bit, but I was averaging at least 800 miles a week for several years. Part of me knows I'll be putting off a KL-ZE swap to avoid dumping new parts (sigh). <P>Odometer reads about 145,000 and it's still rolling, though it's starting to whine about a new clutch. After that many miles and my style of shifting, it's perfectly reasonable.<P>I wouldn't say it's the absolute most reliable car, but I paid $7500 for it many years ago and it's been worth every penny and more. It also doesn't hurt that I rarely see another one in the sea of Civics each day.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”