rear brake dragging. please help

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Doreago

rear brake dragging. please help

Post by Doreago »

For some reason my rear brake on the passenger side has started dragging while I am driving. I checked the pad thickness and it is fine. Anyone know why the brake would be doing this or know how to fix it? I've got dust from the brake pad ALL OVER that rim and it looks like s---!! Please help me out.
Doreago

Re: rear brake dragging. please help

Post by Doreago »

btw it is disk brakes on the rear.

Post by Guest »

i dont know if its the same problem but i have a problem with the drivers side rear caliper. what is hapining to mine is every time i ues the e-brake the meckinism on the caliper is sticking open ( the brake is engaged) and i have to manually rlease the meckinism on the caliper hith my hand. solution try to use a rust penitrant or a lube to free the mecknism up if that dosent work replace the caliper or dont use the e-brale. if thats not the problem i dont know what to tell ya. but i hope that helps good luck man
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

so it was the e-brake mechanism causing it to hold? I will check that out tommorrow and see if I can fix. I'll let ya know how it goes.
white fish

Post by white fish »

Its the Sliders in the caliper
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

*cough* SLIDERS *cough*<P>believe me... they only "slide" when they are brand new<P> :eek:
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

I dont know much about brakes, other than to change the pads. ummm what and where are these sliders?? I was looking at the online manual and didn't see sliders in the calipers. is there another name for it? and how can I get it to stop?

Post by Guest »

all right guys i dont want to seem like i know every thing but i have been a full time profesional mechanic for about 5 years now and i know that sliders play a big part in the barking system but unless the caliper is locked up it wont cause the brakes to "hang up" it will only ware the in board pad faster that the outboard. but its all ways a good idea to check that stuff when u do a brake job. didnt u just do brakes on your car? any way the sliders are the two pins (top and bottem) that the caliper slides on to or bolts to.
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

Ive been messing around with it for about an hour now and I am puzzled. One of the pads is totally gone and the other one is pretty thick. I took the top pin out of the caliper and tried to pivot it down but the brake line was too short to get it all the way off. Every time I spin the wheel it drags off something. I guess I am taking it to a shop tomorrow to get it fixed. Just wanted to know if anyone has any idea what the problem is so the mechanic doesnt rip me off. Thanks for the help guys.
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

is there a slider in the bottom of the caliper?? Or some other type of pin in the bottom??

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”