Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
monstar-mx-3

Re: Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

Barry- How's it comming? Can we get some photos?
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

Hi there guys, good thread we've got going here, I'm eagerly awaiting the pictures of the prototype.<p>Just to comment about using a scratch proof coating on polycarbonate (LEXAN). I actually work for GE Specialty Materials...my company makes LEXAN, and as it would happen to be, Specialty Materials makes the special coating that gives LEXAN its scratch resistence, and I'm one of the 'technical marketing engineers' for the mid-west. I'm pretty familiar with the production of car headlamps using our materials, and as it stands...making a limited production run and then coating them would probably be kinda expensive.<p>To apply the coating, (I'm going to refer to it as AS4700 from now on, since that's the product name, the same product that most of the US car manufacturers use), you need to have the part already molded. It's not possible to buy sheets of AS4700 coated LEXAN and then mold them, as it would introduce far too much stress into the AS4700 hardcoat. Once the part is molded, generally for a smaller operation like this, you'd probably want to spray coat the parts and then go through the other normal processing steps. A normal automotive air brush can be used to apply the coating, given normal safety precautions.<p>I think that's about all I have to say on it, if you guys have any other questions about hardcoating LEXAN, feel free to ask.<p>[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: UoMDeacon ]<p>[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: UoMDeacon ]</p>
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

how about a discount :)
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

How much does AS4700 cost(per gallon)? and what is the process of applying it to the lexan?
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Taras

Post by Taras »

How about MR-10 Lexan?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

Taras

Post by Taras »

Ok, I looked at the site and found references to Lexan and Mr-10. Are you trying to say that Mr-10 already coated with As4700. As far as I know Mr-10 is already coated with scratch protective coating and UV filter. Confirm?<p>I think if the lights will use Hella 90 mm projectors, they will not need the outer clear polycarbonate shell.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i think the lights will look out of place without a shell....
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Hey, <p> Have you seen the Projector Headlights for the PT cruiser??<p> I know that the housing is bigger, but its basically the same shape.<p>Just a thought.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

i would love to see angel eyes like the civic ones for our car! ... i guess the hella lights are basically the same? i dont like the photoshopped black mx with the mp5 bumper tho.. i find those lights extremely ugly..<p>just my two cents.. angel eyes :D
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I really dont have a point...i just want to be the 100th post :)
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by xXx_OTEP_xXx:
i would love to see angel eyes like the civic ones for our car! ... i guess the hella lights are basically the same? i dont like the photoshopped black mx with the mp5 bumper tho.. i find those lights extremely ugly..<p>just my two cents.. angel eyes :D <hr></blockquote><p>If you want angles eyes, just make them yourself after you get the projectors.<p>And, that black pod on that black car is the one being made, so too bad for you.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> And, that black pod on that black car is the one being made, so too bad for you. <hr></blockquote><p> :shrug: Should still be better than the stock lights..
and im hoping maybe a real picture will look better than that photoshopped version? <p>is this plan definitely going to happen?
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
mx34u2nve

Post by mx34u2nve »

Is this going to come in carbon fibre or are we going to be able to match the colour to our car?<p>So its just the pod.. no bulbs is all the wiring going to be set up so we just have to plug in the bulbs??? <p>What is the estimated price for these and where will they be coming from
Turbo 2.5l mx3
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx34u2nve:
Is this going to come in carbon fibre or are we going to be able to match the colour to our car?<p>So its just the pod.. no bulbs is all the wiring going to be set up so we just have to plug in the bulbs??? <p>What is the estimated price for these and where will they be coming from<hr></blockquote>

Not trin to be an *** -hole but try reading at least some of the info in this post. I understand there may be alot to read and there is over a hundred posts here, but I know this cant be the first time you seen this post. If this is the first time well I suggest you read a bit befor you post again. Like I said I am not tring to be a jerk but the truth is nobody will answer your question if it has been asked befor, and if it has been answered more than once.<p>[ April 24, 2003: Message edited by: NEVER ENUFF CUSTOMS ]</p>

Return to “Appearance”