Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: Got $5,000 in scholarships!!

Post by RobMinhas »

So I found an inverter box for my Glow Gauges for $20, I'm probably gonna order it at some point. I've also been mulling over wether I really want to keep my projectors, or sell them and just pick up some HIDs. Also, does anyone know from which cars seats can bolt directly onto MX3s? My drivers side one has been messed up for a while, and PickNPull has their half off sale this weekend so I'm hoping to maybe find some nice seats.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:So I found an inverter box for my Glow Gauges for $20, I'm probably gonna order it at some point. I've also been mulling over wether I really want to keep my projectors, or sell them and just pick up some HIDs. Also, does anyone know from which cars seats can bolt directly onto MX3s? My drivers side one has been messed up for a while, and PickNPull has their half off sale this weekend so I'm hoping to maybe find some nice seats.
are you that intimidated by wiring? or are you just not sure weather or not you really want them?
if you do actually want to install them i would be willing to take some time out of my unemployed day and help you install them, let me know. (we'll do it at my place btw)

have you seen the 92-93 seats? they'd probably fit you really nice.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:
RobMinhas wrote:So I found an inverter box for my Glow Gauges for $20, I'm probably gonna order it at some point. I've also been mulling over wether I really want to keep my projectors, or sell them and just pick up some HIDs. Also, does anyone know from which cars seats can bolt directly onto MX3s? My drivers side one has been messed up for a while, and PickNPull has their half off sale this weekend so I'm hoping to maybe find some nice seats.
are you that intimidated by wiring? or are you just not sure weather or not you really want them?
if you do actually want to install them i would be willing to take some time out of my unemployed day and help you install them, let me know. (we'll do it at my place btw)

have you seen the 92-93 seats? they'd probably fit you really nice.
I am very intimidated by wiring. I have never done any real wiring with the exception of very basic speaker set up in my car(and its a very ghetto set up by the way). And I was hoping to chance upon some good condition seats(aftermarket or otherwise), although the 92-93 seats seem alright. I;m very comfortable with my current seats, however they've had a rough life. And sure thing if you can help me out, I'll buy you some lunch for the help.

Anyway, my computers going in for repairs tomorrow, so I'm gonna be going "dark" on the forum for the next few days. I'll still try to check up on other computers though and I'll have my phone, also all PM's go to my email which I can check. Hopefully by next week I'll have some gauges set up or some PickNPull goodies.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So i kept my computer around a little longer and I now have plans for getting my projectors in thanks to Evo_Spec. i'm also in talks with a family friend to get some much needed paint touch up done to my car, which most likely means removing my CF hood for a while while I get the stock hood primed up as well. I've also had my buddy mention that I should consider CF vinyl wrapping my roof and hatch. Have you guys got any opinion on that? I'm considering it but I feel like it might just be too much CF for an MX3. I also replaced all of my rear bulbs today because the lady at auto value gave me the wrong bulbs last time so I was driving with brake lights only on my third break overlay, something I couldn't find out because I could't see my tail lights and press my break at the same time. I also picked up some cheap red LED bulbs that fit the reverse lights and signal lights but I've decided against using them as either, because I need my reverse lights to be noticeably different from the rest of my lights and I don't know if I'm allowed to have red signals, and they could possibly confuse someone if I have my hazards on, they may think I'm just breaking. I believe there are different coloured ones at prunes auto that I might pick up instead.

Also I have an Ebay quick release hub en route because i had some credit to cash in with a certain Ebay store. I'm gonna see how much I like the quick release set up before I invest in something more pricier.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So, I put my stock hood back on for now. I really missed the sprayers haha, and I was getting annoyed by my hood pins, they need a little bit of work to get them just right. I also put some red LEDs for my rear turn signals. My signals now blink like maaaad, something I don't mind. Only thing is the clicking sound is a tad bit annoying, but my guess is I'll get used to it eventually.
Theres been a very interesting development as well, on my current tank of gas, I'm about a quarter in and I've gone 130 KM. This is an upgrade from the around 80 KM I was getting before in a quarter tank :) just gotta do something about my brake booster cable now.
ethand

Post by ethand »

you gotta get some of those wiper arms that have the nozzles built in! I'm pretty sure it was youdirtyfox (Sam) who had them installed on his red MX3, from a Merc Sprinter or something, from memory. His write up was pretty comprehensive, too :)
Haha the mad ticking was enough to drive me mad, too... only mine was due to another electrical problem. I ended up getting so fed up with the noise that I started indicating with my hands out the window (thankfully it was only my driver's side that wasn't working) until I got it looked at by an auto electrician!
Does CF hood make that much of a difference to gas mileage?! :confused2: :lol:
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

ethand wrote:Does CF hood make that much of a difference to gas mileage?! :confused2: :lol:
no, fixing a extremely leaking intake pipe does XD
ethand

Post by ethand »

Evo_Spec wrote:no, fixing a extremely leaking intake pipe does XD
Ah. Well, one would certainly think so haha
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote: I've also had my buddy mention that I should consider CF vinyl wrapping my roof and hatch. Have you guys got any opinion on that? I'm considering it but I feel like it might just be too much CF for an MX3.
also picked up some cheap red LED bulbs that fit the reverse lights and signal lights but I've decided against using them as either, because I need my reverse lights to be noticeably different from the rest of my lights and I don't know if I'm allowed to have red signals, and they could possibly confuse someone if I have my hazards on, they may think I'm just breaking. I believe there are different coloured ones at prunes auto that I might pick up instead.
I think maybe CF on the roof might be ok but i don't think it really flows through to the hatch because it "flares out" if you look from the top of the car. Overall i don't think its a great idea because CF vinyl is always completely obvious.
Yeah you wouldn't want red reverse lights as it'll just look like brake lights and legally they should be white. You are allowed red signals as a lot of American cars just use the brake light as both a brake light and signal light.
RobMinhas wrote:I also put some red LEDs for my rear turn signals. My signals now blink like maaaad, something I don't mind. Only thing is the clicking sound is a tad bit annoying, but my guess is I'll get used to it eventually.
Theres been a very interesting development as well, on my current tank of gas, I'm about a quarter in and I've gone 130 KM. This is an upgrade from the around 80 KM I was getting before in a quarter tank :)
The reason your signals are "hyper flashing" is because the load for LED's is A LOT lower than regular bulbs, it was also kind of an unintentional way to let drivers know their signals were out.
Anyways the fix for it is super easy cause you just wire in load resistors, because i know you loooooove the idea of wiring!
http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?actio ... c2f6222048
I'd actually recommend just switch back to regular bulbs since you don't like electrical work but that's up to you. Also there's a small chance a cop will pull you over for hyper flashing if he feels like it but that's uncommon

When you come over to do the projectors remind me about the spark plug wires and we'll throw them on and maybe your mileage will get even better.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I think you're right on the CF Evo_Spec, it does flair out and would look a bit strange.

And I got pulled over on the way to school today for the lights :( I was let off with a warning because I offered to change my bulbs right then and there, I had my original bulbs and a screwdriver in my car. So I'll go back to the stock flashers.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:I think you're right on the CF Evo_Spec, it does flair out and would look a bit strange.

And I got pulled over on the way to school today for the lights :( I was let off with a warning because I offered to change my bulbs right then and there, I had my original bulbs and a screwdriver in my car. So I'll go back to the stock flashers.
yeah, i think the idea on the 240sx looks like because the top lines are straight from the hood to hatch.

and wow really? that wasn't even 24hrs! i had my LED's in for like months and i was never pulled over, not to mention my 3" exhaust on top of that
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Cops are out in full force right now, its insane. He said it was a distraction and therefore dangerous for the road. i don't think he knew what to ticket me with which also helped with the warning received. My exhaust is a little obnoxious too, however my idle is nice and quiet or he might've been tempted to ticket me haha. i think the LEDs also fit in the third brake overlay thing so I might just keep these bulbs for a bit then put them in when those bulbs eventually burn out.

I'm gonna try to locate some CF to make CF eyelids thought, so I can match them up with my hood :)
ethand

Post by ethand »

LOL!! That's crazy how long that didn't last!! Hyperflashing is the only thing that's stopped me from putting LEDs in throughout my car, too. I also hate wiring, so have given up on the idea of wiring in some resistors :? Do LEDs work ok for brake lights, etc. as is, or do you need to wire in some resistors there, too? I wasn't sure if they'd just burn out quickly if you leave it on the stock resistance, current & voltage...
Glad you've decided against CF to the hatch - never been a fan of it on the hatches, and Miguelitto's piano black roof is the first time I've liked the look of the roof being a different colour to the body on our cars. I just think it tends to look awkward because the hatch kind of blends into the roof at the top, meaning there will still be a strip of the stock colour on the top... just looks awkward to me :shrug:
The eyelids could look sweet, though :)
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

ethand wrote:you gotta get some of those wiper arms that have the nozzles built in! I'm pretty sure it was youdirtyfox (Sam) who had them installed on his red MX3, from a Merc Sprinter or something, from memory. His write up was pretty comprehensive, too :)
Haha the mad ticking was enough to drive me mad, too... only mine was due to another electrical problem. I ended up getting so fed up with the noise that I started indicating with my hands out the window (thankfully it was only my driver's side that wasn't working) until I got it looked at by an auto electrician!
Does CF hood make that much of a difference to gas mileage?! :confused2: :lol:
That post ninjad its way in there! I didn't even see it! And hahah the leaky intake was awful.

I believe my brake booster "area" has something still defective with it, although I've been unable to take a look at it yet. My RPM pulses when the brake pedal is pressed and the car is warmed up.

ANd I swear i've seen at least 30 Cop cars in the last threa days.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

ethand wrote:Do LEDs work ok for brake lights, etc. as is, or do you need to wire in some resistors there, too? I wasn't sure if they'd just burn out quickly if you leave it on the stock resistance, current & voltage...
Glad you've decided against CF to the hatch - never been a fan of it on the hatches, and Miguelitto's piano black roof is the first time I've liked the look of the roof being a different colour to the body on our cars. I just think it tends to look awkward because the hatch kind of blends into the roof at the top, meaning there will still be a strip of the stock colour on the top... just looks awkward to me :shrug:
The eyelids could look sweet, though :)
LED's work for brake lights and do not require resistors as long as they're ment for automotive use since those are made for 12v-14v. i have all LED bulbs on my car but need to get resistors for my signals but none of them are burnt out.
i don't mind CF stuff, well i LOVE CF but i hate cf vinyl on the exterior as it looks cheap but goes nicely on interior pieces.

cf eyelids you say? like these? muwhahahahahhaa

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”