Ryan needs a soundboard for KL build

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Ryan needs a soundboard for KL build

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Hmmm...2 good builds at the same time...
This is starting to get interesting... :welder: :2thumbsup:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I agree that the "oil prime" idea you got going on would help an engine run longer, but I personally wouldn't put the effort into it.

Even shitty engines last 150-300k without it. Good ones have gone past the 1 million mile mark without a rebuild.

How long will you own your MX-3? another 5-10 years before it rots to death. Not enough to put on those 300+K that these motors run.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:I agree that the "oil prime" idea you got going on would help an engine run longer, but I personally wouldn't put the effort into it.
If you're doing an electric oil pump, that's easy. Remember that the fuel pump primes when the key is on ignition, the oil pump would naturally do the same,it would be up to you on how much time you want to let it circulate before you decide to start it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

:roll:

9k posts and you don't know that the pump only runs when the engine is turning? (pump is triggered with NE1 signal)

Thats gotta be my worst pet peeve on this site, lol.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Ryan wrote::roll:

9k posts and you don't know that the pump only runs when the engine is turning? (pump is triggered with NE1 signal)
:lol: :lol: And 14K posts between the 2 of you, and neither one got it right. That goes to show post count means nothing... :lol: :lol:

The fuel pump starts working the moment the key hits the "ON" position, and works for about a second, to pressurize the circuit. Then it stops, and won't start again until the engine starts turning, or until you turn the key off and then on again, in which case it will repeat the same routine.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

That doesn't make any sense, Inodoro. The manual states to represureize the system using F/P and GND after doing fuel system work, and does not mention this mysterious prime. Not to mention I've never ever noticed it in any of my MX-3's. All four, that is.

I challenge you to prove it with an ammeter or a pressure gauge. I'd do it, but its 20-30 below Celsius.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

I'd gladly prove it to you (I do have the ammeter and the pressure gauge, and right now, it's 12 Celsius in Miami), but unfortunately I'm missing the most important piece of the puzzle (I don't have a car anymore).
Anyways, you can easily prove it yourself. Just take the rear seat off, and you will hear the pump running.

Either way, I want to make something clear. That is NOT the pump priming, but pressurizing the fuel circuit. Priming is the process of filling a pump with fluid. That's just not the case here. This little routine is meant to insure that once you turn the key there will be enough fuel pressure at the injectors for the engine to start.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Now you're just getting picky with the English. :P

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

:lol: :lol: I wish I could... Most of the time I'm not even sure people will understand what I'm typing... :P

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Meh, in every language, you can never communicate EXACTLY what you mean... because everyone learns every word in a different context and their brain treats it differently because of that...

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Hehe...of course. Just like one of Murphy's laws says: When you say something in such a clear way that no one should misinterpret it, somebody will anyways. :mrgreen:

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:I agree that the "oil prime" idea you got going on would help an engine run longer, but I personally wouldn't put the effort into it.

Even shitty engines last 150-300k without it. Good ones have gone past the 1 million mile mark without a rebuild.

How long will you own your MX-3? another 5-10 years before it rots to death. Not enough to put on those 300+K that these motors run.
The experience won't do me any harm, nor the engine ;) Worst case scenario, I'll learn from it! Fail or succeed, I'll learn either way. As for how long I'll keep the car, time will tell. I haven't found another car I can enjoy as thoroughly, not even close... That being said, 5 years isn't a stretch of the imagination. Longer if I'm blessed by circumstances. I've yet to find the cancer that Canadian MX-3s are plagued with, anywhere on my car. I've torn the suspect areas apart repeatedly, and my BIGGEST concern on the subject was a little standing water in my driver's side door after a week of the car sitting. 2 paper towels took the entire volume, but it reminded me to get new seals for the window! Anyways, I could keep the engine for posterity if it did come to that.
Nd4SpdSe wrote:If you're doing an electric oil pump, that's easy. Remember that the fuel pump primes when the key is on ignition, the oil pump would naturally do the same,it would be up to you on how much time you want to let it circulate before you decide to start it.
That's EXACTLY what I have in mind, the length of time will depend on the viscosity of the oil I'm using... I'll have a fun time finding out exactly how long it takes the moving parts to be ideally saturated in oil, that's the biggest challenge I foresee in the project. I can't imagine it would take a terribly long time though, especially with a higher pressure oil pump.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”