antispam: No

Re: Hoodzy's How To: Cold Air Intake

Post by LayZieBoNeLBurNa »

is this legal?
Hendie

Post by Hendie »

It's perfectly leagal as long as you keep the vacum lines for the polution control system hooked in to you intake.
1993 MX-3 GS with 1.8l v6, 5 speed, sunroof, ?hp 130ish
Stage II Clutch, Front strut bar, Ford Probe cold air intake(fit nice with all stock PC lines connections)
Chrome 17's with 150 mph Z rated directionals', Chrome Projectors, Clear front markes, signals
1990 audi 200Q, with a 1989 Turbo 2.2L inline 5cyl., 5 speed, ?hp 170ish(winter car)
1970 Oldsmobile 442, 455 (7.6L) V8, His Hers 4 speed(Not working on this till the MX is perfrect)

Photos at http://www.myspace.com/hendie131/photos[/color]
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I've noticed most CAIs put the filter into the space in front of the tire. Now, I can't see any holes in there big enough to suck in cold air(unless you cut one), so the air must be coming from the rest of the engine bay. So how much cooler can the air be down there?
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
Hendie

Post by Hendie »

It's not so much how cold the air is. But how fast it moves. A CAI keeps the air moving faster with less resistance. Alowing more air flow per second. And the faster the air passes throught the intake the less time there is for the heat from the motor to warm up it intake air.
Stage II Clutch, Front strut bar, Ford Probe cold air intake(fit nice with all stock PC lines connections)
Chrome 17's with 150 mph Z rated directionals', Chrome Projectors, Clear front markes, signals
1990 audi 200Q, with a 1989 Turbo 2.2L inline 5cyl., 5 speed, ?hp 170ish(winter car)
1970 Oldsmobile 442, 455 (7.6L) V8, His Hers 4 speed(Not working on this till the MX is perfrect)

Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

True, the greater air flow is beneficial, but the temperature of the air is also important. Colder air is more condensed, more air = more power. That is why turbos use intercoolers and it is called a Cold Air Intake.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
Hendie

Post by Hendie »

That is all true. Which Intake were you looking at? For the 4cyl or the 6cyl? My 6cly intake puts the air filter about a foot below my starter. Pulling in the air from below the car.

Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

You can make holes in the inner fender if you really want that extra 0.2 HP.

Cold air is more dense, meaning more molecules to react, so you can get more power.

People who want better fuel mileage use WAI, because the air is less dense and contains fewer molecules to react.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Hendie

Post by Hendie »

If you purchase a ford probe intake you don't need to cut holes in the fender well. Because it runs to the bottom of the engine compartment. Not down the fender like the interga intake.

Hendie

Post by Hendie »

The probe intake also has all the vaccum line hook ups. I have about 30-40 pics detailing the instalation prosses and the finished result. I will post some of the better ones on myspace.com tonight. You can search myspace for( Nicholas Scott Henderson or hendie131@myspave.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)You any one here can also email me and I'll send you photos.
Last edited by Hendie on January 9th, 2011, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I've got a ZE and had the PRM intake but the plastic housing on the filter cracked. So I bought a K&N filter and was thinking of modifying the piping or getting new piping to put the filter down in the engine compartment similar to the Probe setup. Don't feel like cutting a hole in the fender for a little more airflow.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
MX3 96

Post by MX3 96 »

ok noob but body paint audio gear all banging. Now some under the hood.

1.6 Dopc 4 banger is there a kit I am told know from basically any shop in golden horshoe i can find on CI.

I like to super charge this lil motor any sugestions and or ideas.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

MX3 96 wrote:ok noob but body paint audio gear all banging. Now some under the hood.

1.6 Dopc 4 banger is there a kit I am told know from basically any shop in golden horshoe i can find on CI.

I like to super charge this lil motor any sugestions and or ideas.
You should trade your DOPC in for a DOHC, 20 HP right there. Intakes are over done. Go on the interwebs and googles. Too many topics on this it is sad.

You can't and won't super charge your mx. Try searching
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tollis »

I've seen some kits on Ebay for both 4 and 6 cyl versions by Weapon R. Weapon R makes some great stuff. I'm going to order one of their Secret weapon intakes the higher level one and post how it performs fits etc.
They also have their Dragon intakes on eBay for about half the price.

Just search Weapon R intake MX-3

Or check out their website
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
charu

Post by charu »

Thank you so much for your ideas... :)
danielmartin

Post by danielmartin »

I have read whole information about which you have mention here. It is an interesting one. Another thing is that you have nicely explain of eaxh part of it which helps to understand easily. I am thankful to your valuable information.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”