Bolt-In, Plug-and-Play Projector Lights

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

The prototype mounting brackets are done! Pics to follow by this weekend...
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

any pics yet?
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

I took a few pics today - I will post them to one of my websites later this evening. These pics are only of the light units mounted in the mounting brackets (and a few with the GTS covers in place over top) - they DO NOT show the moulded exterior part of the housing.

Due to some fitment issues, I had to modify these brackets by hand somewhat, so there are some rough edges. The production units will not have these.

The pics will give you an idea of the placement of the light units relative to each other and to the body work. One thing to note - I will be moving the low beam about 1/2" to 3/4" further back for aesthetic reasons, so the mounting surface for it will be further back as well.

Here's the link to the pictures.

Design work for the moulded exterior part will be underway tomorrow!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Holy Moly Tatsu. I could have sent you that before you ever started working on these at all. That is the same light set-up that I use and offered to sell to you. Except mine is a finished product that is fitted and finished. Then all you would have had to do is make the cover to get the front side look you wanted. I like the look of what I have now, but I see that it could improve with a astetic (sp?) cover.
Anyway, it looks like you still have a bit to go since you will need to attach the cover to the actual housing you have there and then get a way to get the cover to mount to the lense and then get all that to bolt up to the stock bolt holes, or at least some of them to hold the lights in place.
Ps, if interested my design has all that covered, except I use a stock housing to get the lense cover to fit to and I bolt the unit ot the frame rail instead of the stock bolt holes.
Also do not forget that you need a good bit of space from left/right and top/bottom for the aiming of the lamps. This part seemed ok to me untill I actually aimed them and found that I hadn't nearly enough room. Then had to do another months work to get that hashed out. It looks a bit close to the front clip on one of the pics.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Actually, I have already determined how the moulded cover will attach to the mounting bracket, and how the GTS cover will attach to that. The mounting bracket bolts to three of the four stock holes, and the moulded cover then bolts to the bracket in three places and the body in the fourth stock hole. The GTS cover then clips on over top of the moulded cover just like it does on a stock light. Two of the bolts used are the stock bolts, and the other five bolts will be supplied with the kit.

As for aiming, there is tons of room for adjustment up/down for both lights and side to side for the high-beam. The low-beam - well, there is lots of room for adjustment to turn them more outboard, but inboard not much (as evidenced by the picture). However, if the bracket is properly aligned and the lights are installed in line with the bracket, they will be pointing straight ahead, which is how Hella specifies that they should be aligned horizontally anyway.

Thanks again for the offer of buying your design from you, but it would have to be reworked to allow for mounting of the moulded cover anyway. With the added design/prototyping work necessary to make it work, including buying and re-working your mould, it would end up costing me at least as much as the process to design my own mounting system without having to adapt the design of the covers to fit.
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

those are looking great, i can't wait until it's finished
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

looking nice
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

:pimp:

i can't wait. please let us know asap for final cost with and without light units. thanks a lot for this.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

I met with my plastics guy this morning to give him the revised design for the mounting brackets. I was a little concerned about the rigidity of the light-unit mounting surfaces with that design in polycarbonate, so I made some changes that will require a new prototype.

I should have the revised bracket early next week. I will check fitment with the new part, and then we can start designing the moulded piece.

As for pricing, I will have an update for you guys in the next couple of weeks. I am still trying to find a supplier for the necessary electrical connectors locally, and I am trying to work a deal on the light units themselves with my local vendor.
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

I just found this thread today, and must say, I am very much impressed.

With the kind of reception you recieved when you first started months ago, to what you have accomplished now is amazing.

I must say that I will not be buying a set, as I can't even get enough cash together to completely repair my engine, but I'll throw many kudos in your direction for your great work.
Vroooom
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Honnestly, at first, I didn't care about getting projectors, but the more I think about it, and the more i see this project starting to get realised, the more I'm tempted to get them. Can't wait to see the finished product.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I just gotta say I love the pics, and I'm down for a set the second they're available. Tho I haven't been active at all around here in a long while, having done most of the major mods to my car I planned on. I still stopped by once in a while to check for news on projectors. Since I found out about these I've been followin the progress and I gotta give you your props tatsu, people have been waiting for these a long time and I'm glad to see now that they're finally getting done that they're gettin done right.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

looking great...i'll more than likely be in for a set too!
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

do these lights have blue glow to them like on luxury cars
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
PeaCheZ

Post by PeaCheZ »

whatever these lights are i want a set the second they are ready....but i would luv 2 see pix just 2 make my final decision, and when u say xenon lights that means blue glow right??

Return to “New Product Development”