Custom Projector light (01-03 Civic Aftermkt) pics

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MrMX3

Re: Custom Projector light (01-03 Civic Aftermkt) pics

Post by MrMX3 »

just thinking out loud here. I picked up a set of these projectors, and have one of the pulled completely apart. They seem to be VERY big with the back housing on and everything together. Now with it apart, taking the frontmost 2 pieces (The lense and the actual black housing) it seems to fit easier with just the 2. Now if there was a way to fit the light housings to the black housing and seal that with the lense, it would make things fit much better with very minimal cuts.... would there be any downside to this?
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

i honestly dont know. what is the black housing made of?
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

basically the light is comprised of 3 pieces. The lens, the middle "housing" (for lack of better terms) which is black and made of plastic, and then the rear housing which the lights bolt to, etc... It's the rear housing which seems to give it most of it's size depth wise. What I was thinking was mounting the lights to the middle piece, and sealing the middle piece and the lens instead of the back housing and the lens... It seems to make things fit 10x easier but I don't know if there are any dangers in doing it this way in case it's raining, or dirt, etc.. etc..
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

that back piece is the part that actually gives the housing its weather protection, so you might be able to get a decent seal with just the 2 but its higher doubtful. I am currently in the phase of doing these and this is no walk in the park. Gregory christian is right its an extreme tight fit. but it will fit. And your probably gonna have to do a little fiberglassing
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

that's what I was afraid you were going to say. I wasn't worried about sealing the lens to the middle piece, that wouldn't have been a problem, i was worried about the weatherproof element of it, mainly the back of the lights.... Back to the drawing board.
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

well here's an idea for you:

Depending on how serious you are about wanting better lighting, here is an idea, Hella's projectors come Weather Proof so you dont have to worry about them hell you could mount them on your hood (dont do that)
ther projectors are about 50 a piece you can get rid of the back piece my using hella projectors in place of the stock ones (ones that came with the civic projectors)
now your only problem is sealing 2 front pieces togeather so that you dont get the evil water vapor in.

But you could take some good ol polly and fill the gaps that you have with that and that should provide a good seal.

but still your looking at lets say 120 for a set of civic projectors shipped.

then 4 projectors 200 bucks +shipping

so almost 350 bucks for a set of projectors, that are easier to install

then you have to custom make your brackets to keep them in place
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Taras

Post by Taras »

If you are going to put Hella 90mm's in that civic headlight and just seal the front lens with the "middle part" Make sure you build a few vents in the housing. Although Hellas themselves have vents built into them, you will still need them for the entire housing. Good luck modifying.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

will this also work with the chrome effect or do ya think it would look crappy?
Taras

Post by Taras »

I would use black housing.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”