Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project> AEM installed.

Post by youdirtyfox »

:D its a neck breaker thats fo sure, just go as low as you can for your surroundings, no point trapping yourself in :lol:

25mm dump valve, 18mm IACV & 5mm boost gauge spigots on the cold pipe done.

atmos dump valve spigot to be blanked and just there incase I want to do big whhooooshhh :love:
youdirtyfox

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.

Post by youdirtyfox »

Got the new 10spi wastegate actuator with stainless steel rod connector spacers and adjustable rod arm, and have mocked up for the bracket. Just not sure what to make it from? Do I use 5-6mm aluminium plate which I can cut and shape easier or do I have it laser cut from 3-4mm stainless steel?!

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nice, I never made mine for looks, only function. I have several modified OE mazda and Subi brackets :) If you want it to go with the rest of your theme I would go with the SS. with all the heat from the turbo an aluminum bracket may warp a bit.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

ar yeah good call didn't think about the warpage! stainless or coated mild then it is. Tried to mod both brackets I had but to no avail.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I could dig some of mine out, they are pretty hack, I was going for function only and by looking at them most would not even think they were functional. :freak:

I am trying to figure out how to spin my cold housing on my new one. It is not like my other IHI's it will be tricky and a one off bracket for the WG

Keep the updates commin!
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

ha no worries Josh its cool I'll sort something out through work no doubt we have a local laser cutter who might do it for a drink.

Got all the oil return kit sorted now, bought another flange which happens to fit the 1/2 NPT 45 degree I bought previously, so I got a choice now, probably which ever one I can make shallowest to get a good drop down to the sump.

youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Seeing as you wont see all this work that's gone into this cross-over pipe once its installed though I would share a pic now.
Was quite amusing today as it actually took 3 people to swage the curved end as we had to manually wind the belts of the lathe
while someone else crushed the bead in and I manipulated the pipe round and round, well pleased with hows it turned out and chuffed
I managed to turn the 5mm boost gauge spigot from a piece of solid square bar held in the 3 jaws!
All the welds were then pickled in acid to remove the scorch marks and washed down with water and neutralizing solution.

compressor outlet welded and cleaned.

Just about to order all the parts for the oil feed line, then I will probably halt the turboing parts buying to concentrate and save for some
dent removal, proper welded debadge/deariel etc then the whole car will be off for a fresh coat of red paint :D
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Few more parts bought:

25mm silicone end caps to block off recirc valve ports for now.
By dirtfox at 2012-09-15

M10 > 4AN oil connector for turbo feed out of block.
By dirtfox at 2012-09-15

4AN 90 Degree speed flow stealth elbow.
By dirtfox at 2012-09-15

4AN stealth black nylon braided line.
By dirtfox at 2012-09-15

M11 > 4AN with 1.5mm restrictor for conection on turbo.
By dirtfox at 2012-09-15
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

yummy yum!!!!!
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Yeah buddy you knowz that!
Scored the last few pieces of silicon too after the holiday.

Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

perty
mazdamx3bds
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mazdamx3bds »

Nice going keep it up, I want to see this car up and running.

Hopefully I should have an update on my project, considering going full management with Megasquirt 2 using RX-7 460cc injectors. Just trying to locate someone to install and tune first, car is no longer a daily driver so we are looking to tune for VP109 racing fuel which is available here from the local racing groups.
Supertech Forged Pistons, ARP Studs, ACL Bearings, Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, T3 50trim Turbo,Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Custom Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, Megasquirt V2, RX7 460cc Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Been quite busy recently decorating some of the flat which involved moving my 400L aquarium! but with the aid of some youtube videos I have managed to construct the oil feed hose today for the turbo out of the parts I bought, unfortunately the union that goes into the engine block I got wrong as its not M10 x 1.5 or x 1.0 so I have 1/8 BSP and NPT straight unions coming so will update the info further up the thread with the right info for yo'all.

youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Ok so I think its time to think about the only part of the exterior aesthetics I have not touched yet and that's the exhaust. Not into massive fart cans or the dual tip so I'm thinking about running a 4" 2.25" inlet/outlet universal silencer straight along the back edge of the bumper so alot of shiny stainless is on show, already looked and a 4" unit would tuck slightly as long as I removed some of the rear lip on the bumper and didn't run the reinforcement bar! The tailpipe could then exit through the bumper somewhere?!

youdirtyfox

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.> Rear bumper lip!

Post by youdirtyfox »

Had this poly. Civic rear lip in my Garage for a couple of years now and never really tried to fit it properly, but today as part
of the exhaust backbox upgrade I thought I would try again and it turned out Ok, needs a bit of tweaking as it looks a bit wonky bit of persuasion needed with the hairdryer sure will be ok.
but I'm well happy with it, needs some proper flush fixings but it now means I can try for a diffuser and maybe oval tailpipes each side like bit like the miata.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”