Josh's 94' GS - Updated 08/11/13

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Josh's 94' GS - Updated 9/24/12

Post by fowljesse »

If you have the G4 IM, I recommend P&P. I port matched my IM, thermo spacers, and heads. I used the spacers to transition the ID from the ported IM to the heads. I think it made a difference. I'm looking forward to hanging out again, when I'm more clear-headed.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yep, that is exactly the plan! going to do a very nice port match and making my own thermal spacers so I will be able to tailor it nicely. and from what I have read is the most gains to be had from the G4 on a ZE is by porting the crap out of it :)

The only thing I am worried about at all is going to a 2" mazdaspeed muffler, so I am going to be 2.5" straight through to the MS box. It should be ok, and create a bit more TQ but my HP may suffer a bit.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

It may be blasphemous, but you could always attempt to modify the MS muffler, I have no doubt you would do a quality job, so just do it on the hush-hush :wink: Nobody'll know the difference, until you dyno her!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well truth is, the headers provide all the back pressure needed for the exhaust and are only 2" or 2 1/4" where they merge, so whatever I do wont effect it all that much unless I go too small. 2" is the smallest I would go and it is only the back box so it should be fine, as I am straight through 2.5" with 2 resonators. I will eventually do a complete mandrel bent SS system and I will probably eventually rebuild the back box (ms muffler) to a real 2.5" but not anytime soon. I am looking forward to the sound and the lowering of the DB levels in the cabin. since I took the cat out it has gotten kinda loud.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Back pressure :throwup: You meant vacuum scavenging, right? :wink:

Remember, smaller exhaust closer to the engine isn't a bad thing... tapering to larger piping farther back isn't a bad idea either!

The collectors for the headers are small, true, but that'll help keep exhaust velocity high as it leaves the combustion chambers, and then the increased flow farther downstream will "slow" the exhaust slightly, but at high RPMs the space will fill more adequately. I know you know this, I just like saying it :freak:

I agree for the reduced noise level, I hate loud exhaust... I LOVE the stock sound, but I know it's far from ideal for performance. :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

the stock muffler on my k8 was a whiny sound. The OBX twin loop i had was LOUD! The magneflow i have on my MX6 is ok but ti has that 3/4000 rpm drone :( :( The MS muffler is a nice burble at idle and when you step one it it becomes a a deep scream but you can still listen to the radio at a decent volume or have a conversation with screaming. You will love the sound josh. It sounds very nice for those tired of the K series drone :love2: :love2: As far as performance a guy on the german forums has a MS back box he got from EBAY on his ZE and he lost little to no HP when he dynoed it at SPS motorsports ( 2 or 3) and that could of been other things not the sports mufflers fault. In the catalogs the back box for the MX6 (which was klze equipped from factory as you may know lol) and MX3 are the same inlet pipe diameter. Its the tip thats different and i bet 100000 euros that matters none.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Thanks, that was the next step is to find someone with a MS box for the MX6 and measure it. Honestly i am not too worried about it. It may reduse top end hp but should make up for it in the low, since right now I am free flowing. what sux is the shop that put the exhaust together put the resonator in backwards... it is a cal inductive corkscrew baffles in the inside and its in backwards... So I am going to flip it and bolt it in where the cat goes, then run my 0 back pressure free flowing resonator "muffler" towards the rear and the MS box should be nice. And if I ever need to go to emissions I will bolt the cat back in :)

Eventually I will either make my own full length headers, or mod the ones there and turbo it, but I have not decided yet :) Goal is to get the RS up first. You want to talk about drone the KL with straight threw exhaust and a magnaflow style muffler in the rear is nothing compared to my RS... It is LOUD as F**K... for a while it would give you headaches
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Do we have some slammage going down? 8)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yes, I will get some pics up soon. Dropped it almost 2" and put 10mm spacers in the rear as well. Played around with the camber. it was all funky the drivers front was at like -6deg and passenger was at like -2 rears were -1. right now the entire car is set at like -2.5 not a lot but not too much either. one thing I noticed that i did not before, even though I have the cusco camber plates all the way around the struts are slotted as well, if I was into the HellaFlush crowd you can throw wicked camber. the strut alone slides like 3 or deg. throws the bottom edge of the wheel out like crazy.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Cool sounds good look forward to seeing it. Yeah I wouldn't really want to go any further than like -2.5-3.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Just messin around it was kinda cloudy so cant get the full effect of the snow covered mountain but oh well.

This is the new badging that will take place this spring... mmmm OE MazdaSpeed... makes me giddy. BTW this is like 300 buck in emblems sitting right here. Stupid I know but worth it for the right look.

This white round MS emblem will be the closest thing to ever finding the emblem that is on the front of the MX-3 in the MS catalog. The one in the book just does not exist.
kulluminati777

Re: Josh's 94' GS - Updated 10/29/12

Post by kulluminati777 »

so your the bastard that bought the white emblem i wanted lol j/k :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah i dont think the one in the catalog ever came out but It looks like the black rotor one but with a bottom part to it. I was reading in one of the mazdaspeed catalogs i have that there was a ornament and then an ornament base......mostly MX5´s got that white one. I only wanted it because it shows up better on a black car the the rotor one
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

kulluminati777 wrote:so your the bastard that bought the white emblem i wanted lol j/k :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah i dont think the one in the catalog ever came out but It looks like the black rotor one but with a bottom part to it. I was reading in one of the mazdaspeed catalogs i have that there was a ornament and then an ornament base......mostly MX5´s got that white one. I only wanted it because it shows up better on a black car the the rotor one
Yep, I called it when he posted a Pic of what he was getting on FB lol. He posted it and I was like hey its mine!.. It was listed for less than a day. The Rotor one was widely used. There is a company that makes aftermarket emblems and they are very very similar to that of the one in the catalog and they could reproduce them for us. but I am going legit homie, and want the real deal, no fake $hiT for me. lol The rear plastic red MS badge is from earlier 323 :) I decided that red will be my accent color since I was able to get the rear MS badge. I let one go a while ago and regretted it. figured that if I came across another before I did my accent colors then they would be red. so red it is :)

Big brakes will be on the to do list next
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah it was gone before i could even get to the post reply button :crying: :crying: I hope another pops up one of these days.

But im with you on the legit but if i could get a replica oh boy i tell you what. I mean i got so much official Mazdaspeed gear that I could get away with it lol.

Yeah i noticed in some cataloges that red MS emblem was on the B pillar of RX7´s as well but it was the grey version. Im sure the red popped up on a grey RX7 or 2 :shrug:

very nice finds though. I love when others have the thrist for rare collectables (only of value to the community of course :lol: :lol: )
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

So it's time to take my DD to the next level, getting rid of loud obnoxiousness exhaust... since I am not running a CAT and don't have to I am swapping out the Magnaflow muffler to a more sophisticated gentlemans exhaust a legit MS back box.

So I will let the barrage of photos start

The MS muffler got dropped in shipping and dented the tip and marred up the end so after I repaired that stripped the paint and hit it with a fresh coat here she is.

Now the MS muffler had a inlet pipe diameter of 1.83" the MX6 rear box is 2" for reference, and I am running 2.5" . So what I found is that the inlet on the muffler is actually 2" so with the excess tig welds on the box I was able to attach a 2 1/4" to 2.5" adapter and welded that to the rear.

I also took this out for my none baffle screw style resonator. the problem with this one was that whoever installed it installed it backwards so it was doing more harm than good.

While it was out I decided to wrap the chincy heat shield with a nice coat of peel and seal. With AMAZING results.

Final install pictures and sound clips of before and after I will have up tomorrow :) stay tuned.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”