matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: matts 94 mx-3 gs build. NOW WITH FLAT BLACK PRIMER

Post by mx3matt »

That mx3 is my battery hold down, gauges are actually from princess auto. Ill eventually replace them with better gauges but I like how they look and they are accurate and that's what counts lol.

The one on the far left that isn't illuminated is my wideband, which I'll replace with a uego that I can datalog when I finalize my shopping cart extravaganza on. Can't wait to start tuning, I'm really interested to see what I can squeeze out of the k8 before she dies :)

Planning and building has changed but for the better in my opinion, I started out rushing to get things I wanted to do(ie. polishing manifold, polished valve covers, replacing pulleys and idlers, water pump, timing belt) and half assing or bouncing around half finished project to half finished project and it's costed me more in time and expense redoing s---.
So now we have about 6 weeks of Saturdays on a stand in the middle of my shop to rework and properly reassemble a sad looking de, followed by another 6-8 weeks of Saturdays rebuilding and and massaging in the msp diff, and hopefully upgraded 3rd and 5th at least(possibly new syncros if $ allows).

Ive already purchased msp diff, mx-6 transmission, timing belt and pullies, accesory belts, gaskets(head,v/c, oil pan) I got a good bit already done, and hopin nothing serious happens I've allowed a total budget of $400 outsourced labor, $750 parts. This doesn't include megasquirt which I have something in the works.

Also it's almost tax time and half of my return will be a vehicular bonus lol, I've talked way to much and my head hurts so I'm going to bed.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

So my seat brackets arrived, bolted in to the floor fine but my seats wouldn't line up so I've spent the last few hours redrilling everything and hopefully I'll have em in by tonight.

This car loves to be my worst enemy!
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i dont like my seats and have an oppurtunity at picking up some really nice old school recaro's out of a old suzuki swift, what do you guys think? i love the ugly beauty of them. the color pictured is the same but instead of the checkered pattern they have a bride-ish stripe pattern.
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Post by DeadMaker »

If you dress them with leather they will look great.They have a good design but awful liner...:)
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

ya i love the design of these seats and they are almost 2 inches shorter then my existing aftermarket. which is beyond perfect cuz its tight for headroom these days.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so today got a call from a friend looking to clear some of his old protege stuff, so off i went and stumbled across a set of knockoff te37's that are in need of a proper respray, i've decided to respray the car a new color but still matte. looking at a slightly darker subaru sti blue or gunmetal matte finish. not sure on the wheels finish yet.

picked up three hvlp's from princess auto last week, went for a mig welder but it was out of stock(rainchecked) so bought parts washer, engine stand, and the guns. nice weather has got me jump started, play my cards right and i could have the respray done by mid april-may leaving me plenty of time to enjoy the car.

honestly this car has me beat like a dead mule...... approaching 20 years old i really should have replaced suspension components before throwing the coils on, as it sits i am starting to hear wheel bearing noise from the r/f and l/r wheels, both lower ball joints are started to get a bit of play, inner tie rods are getting pretty rough. i can feel some sloppyness in the rear but havent even bothered looking at it. looking at picking up a local set of wytbushings, i'll probably spend the next month picking that up with a new set of bj's and get the front up tight again. ill be replacing my bad d/s cv as well.

getting tired of busting knuckles every weekend........
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so the volks are 17x7 40et.... looking to run a a nearly new set of bfg g-force sports in 225/45

am i pushing it that much? i have 3mm spacers already sitting here. i know i'm gonna have to roll my fenders but i dont wanna push it much past 35et.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i scored big time today......buddy of mine was doing some spring cleaning and found a brand new twm shifter :shock: :o :D 1 case of brew had it in my possession. i will need to pick up some shifter bushings and hardware. but thats not a problem.

wednesday is the first day of spring rebuilding for me. if the weather stays like its been i'll have most of the car ready for summer before i even planned on originally tearing her down,
i'll be replacing ball joints, d/s cv axle, and probably front pads and rotors as well as a rear brake service( started to sieze up a bit about a month ago). also have a lot of work to do to the suspension really need to pick up that wytbushing kit.

Its really begun to show its age as of late, i've got a pretty ugly creep up of rust on the d/s rocker, bought a sandblaster and hopefully its not too far gone to save, i've decided to stick with the flat black theme just havent decided what color to go with on the wheels yet.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

hey matt great car! is that blue cable a extra ground for your starter? If so any real benefits?

*EDIT i just looked through the whole work log and seen the re-grounded battery...did you do any more grounds?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

too much reading not enough pics i'm off on wednesday so i'll be updating with some pics.

as for the grounds i did the battery the main ground off the battery to chassis and to motor, still need to do the alternator.....but i'll do that when i rebuild the alternator(starting to show signs of dying).
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i'm in need of a bit of assistance...... ss autochrome headers-catless 2.25inch-cheapy twin tip= really really loud. want to quiet it down a bit without adding the cat back into the mix( i have a test pipe and magnaflow high flow cat pipe).

i've been looking into resonators and i'm liking the vibrant ultra quiet, but i dont want to lose all the sound so im a bit stuck at this point.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

The vibrant wont get rid of the sound by any means. It will just make it tolerable. I believe the best following quietest exhaust v would be no the vibrant ultra quiet5 and a twin loop muffler. I havnt had a chance to be try it but it should sound nice and tolerable
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

cherry bomb? its the smaller resonator of choice. but will quiet you down a bit. i got pace setter headers, 2.5" piping cherry bomb resonator and flow master muffler n a single 3" tip. sounds awesome, is quiet when you want it to be. but super loud when you giver. if u wanna see what it sounds like lemme know and ill go make a video.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

what you guys think?
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I LOVE those :love2: :love: i actually was thing about those or MS-01S's when i was looking for a larger lightweight wheel
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”