MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Muffler time... Decisions, decision

Post by MrMazda92 »

After over 400 days of playing dead, this car finally cranked over properly... Not under her own power, but with a little help. I finally sorted out the electrical issues, and am now truly only needing a battery to run the beast!! :D

Best part? I actually have the money for a battery right now! :lol:

Now, onto muffler suggestions!!

My price cap is $100.00, but I would vastly prefer to stick with a $50-80 range. 2.5" inlet, and either single or dual outlet, but it has to be QUIET.
I've been eyeballing mufflers, and the Dynomax VT appeals greatly to me.

I do have a question for everybody! My muffler walked out from under my car a few months back, so I have nothing to compare it to at present time; which would fit better, an offset inlet/center outlet? or center inlet/offset outlet?

Going purely by memory, an offset inlet/centered outlet would be the best option in the stock location.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - She cranks! ;D

Post by MrMazda92 »

Okay, I found something else that I want...

*drool*

http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/cablesandbluetooth
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Good work !
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Alright, so this past week has been spent diagnosing and fixing Brandi's car; Disty failure, vacuum leaks, TPS, a dirty throttle body, and now an interesting stumble under light load.

It's mostly worked out, but I have not had an opportunity to work on my own car for a while now. :( The plan is to get my hands on a battery this coming week, wire in my coilpacks and IAT sensor, weld up a Dynomax VT, and street-tune this beast!

After that, it's due for an alignment, a good scrubbing, and 2 more coats of chalkboard!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I finally started wrenching on this again, little by little, and have made some progress.

I decided to yank the curveneck manifold, and drop my modified straightneck in instead. I ran into an issue with the Speed6 brakes, but I believe the Powerstop brand rotors to be at fault. The caliper brackets contacted the rotors, and I removed 2-3mm or so from the inner face of the brackets, residing closest to the rotors. This solved the issue 100%, and gave enough clearance to ease my mind completely.

The car rolls again, and as before the manual steering rack is WONDERFUL!! I can not emphasize how nice it is, being able to roll a non-running car around a sloped driveway, without assistance or powersteering. I can relocate it anywhere that I need to, and the rack turns smoother than any manual rack I have ever used!

Currently, I am waiting on a few items from various members around the country. Scott is building me a custom bay harness, which will bring everything together for me, and make the car 100% operational again!

By the time he has it finished, I should have a muffler in place, and a new battery sitting in the bay. After the harness comes in, she goes off for an alignment!

I still need a few little things here and there, but for the most part the car is good to go. The brakes fill the FD wheels up very nicely, and the ride height is set just so beautifully!! There are no rubbing or clearance issues, and the arch gap is PERFECTLY balanced in the front end.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - She rocks, rolls, and soon she'll r

Post by MrMazda92 »

Next payday will bring about a few changes for the better:
- My new wiring harness should be done any day now, and that will be enough to get the car running with coilpacks, no VAF, and a few other goodies I've been holding off on.
- New battery, after debating which brand to go with for far too long.
- I was able to source a single Cusco camber plate, so I won't be swapping to stock mounts thankfully!
- Muffler shopping time!

That should be enough to get the car rolling down the road again; hopefully all goes well and I don't need to fiddle with much more than that! :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Parts are rolling in

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mini Update:
- My straightneck manifold was finally cleaned out, and is off to the powdercoater with a set of clean valvecovers.
- I found a mid-range Borla muffler for a steal of a price, and it'll go on the car once I get the electrical sorted out.
- Scott is still working on my custom harness, and that is all that I need to get the car road-worthy again at this time!

I also snagged an AC power supply for my MegaSquirt, so I can start fiddling with my tune before the harness comes in. Goal is 200 WHP this go around, and I'm fairly confident that I will meet it.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Update

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm starting to get antsy over this car again; It's summer, and I want to actually take it out and have a blast!
The day my new harness comes in, the car should see the street for the first time in 18 months!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Update

Post by MrMazda92 »

So... I've finally come to a decision on my flip-flop forced induction dilemma.

I am going with a 10:1-10.2:1(depending on which I source first, for the better cost) forged piston setup, mated to Milli S rods, and I'm thinking an M45 will feed the beastie.

Again, I'm in no hurry, so this will be pieced together bit by bit, and I won't be pumping a dime into this build before the car rolls again.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Booooooost?

Post by MrMazda92 »

Borla in hand, battery in hand, and ever closer to roadworthiness!

Now I'm just waiting on my coilpack harness and replacement Cusco plate to get her to 100%. This car will scream, and very soon!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I had a last minute change of heart as to the color scheme of the engine bay.
This exact green for the valvecovers, and simple silver paint for the intake manifold.

My powdercoater doesn't stock this color, so an order must be placed. I'm going to pile up a few more items to have coated at the same time, to offset the cost... First time I'm paying full price for PC work in a while!

Proper update:
Scott Draugelis' was nearly finished with my wiring harness when he wrecked his Probe; Understandably, it's probably going to be a bit before he can focus attentions on a side project like that. If you haven't already done so, please contribute to the fundraiser to replace his Probe! Scott Bassinger and a few others on Facebook have been spearheading the fundraiser!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I took part in a very cool meet and greet with some of the MX-6 guys today!
We drove from Eugene to Crater Lake, took a ton of photos, and somehow managed to make it back before dark!
Everything from a cruise to good food, a bit of dyno time, and even popping off a few rounds in a quarry. Definitely the most fun I have had so far this year!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS

Post by MrMazda92 »

She runs, currently using a "borrowed" harness from my wife's car. The engine tested out just fine, and the car works as it should.

The proper harness is on it's way back from Scott next week, so I can finally make it 100% official. The muffler needs to be welded on, and I need to weld a bung onto the Y pipe for my WBO2 sensor.

Project 99% complete, and I'm starting the next one already. :welder:
If anybody wants to follow the new project, I'll be happy to direct individuals to my worklog on norotors.

I'll throw engine bay photos up here of the KL when I get the new harness into place; I think you'll all like the direction I took things.
WhiteFinish

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Ran under her own power, at last.

Post by WhiteFinish »

Why do you need so much of a special harness ?What is going on with that ?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Ran under her own power, at last.

Post by MrMazda92 »

Scott did the legwork for me, due to my frustration and impatience with all things electrical. He does amazing work, and has duplicated the harness from his own exceptionally clean car; Basically he removed all of the connectors and wiring that I will not be using, wired it for coilpacks, and made it completely plug and play for my entire setup.

All that is left on my side is installation, and fine-tuning my existing tune with 92 octane.

The goal was to make maintenance simpler, remove anything that is not being used, and cut dead weight out of the car; The overall drop in weight will be noticeable, but I do not plan to remove much more.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”