MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
WhiteFinish

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Back in business

Post by WhiteFinish »

Nice update... good that you're moving onwards
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Thefez
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Thefez »

you wont be disapointed in thos tires there amazing! but they do wear rather quickly
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thank you WhiteFinish!

Thefez,
They had excellent reviews, and seemed comparable to the ASX model they succeeded(thoroughly enjoyed, briefly, before blowing one in my wreck), so I figured I would take the plunge. :) I absolutely LOVED my stock size Hankook K106s, which survived 60,000 miles to this day, and still bear around 15% tread life!

Woooh, 5K posts. It is official, I have no life...
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

I had a set and man where they like glue to the road. It was my first "mod to the MX3 a brand new set of "good" tires I enjoyed them so much. They just wore quick thats all but at the same time I never got an alignment done when I first bought the car either which theres a good chance this was a major contributor, even tho there where no signs of needed one.. but they where great tires!

Glad to see this project back on track man keep up the good work!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

MS6 brakes under FD wheels:
FD Wheels wrapped in 225/50-16 Kumho 4X:
My little helper: He doesn't do much right now, but hopefully he will share my love for cars before too long :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Having a hard time getting my hands on pistons... May end up sticking with factory 10:1 comps, but I have a line on Colt 210s ATM that should be within my $250 budget.

Progress is slow, but buying the cams will allow the shop to shim the lifters properly, and ill be a short block away from completion.

Planning to run a DE tune until I get my wideband and reserve a dyno session.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Been without internet for a while, aside from my cellphone.

Anyways, I have made a little bit of headway on this project:
- Block is ready to go, as soon as I finish paying off the shop that rebuilt it.
- I found a set of heads that fit the bill for my project... Just need to hammer out the arrangements for delivery.
- Decided to use the Kl31 straightneck manifold, which now has a fully worked over plenum neck... Knife edged divider is sharp enough that I damn near cut my finger off. The outer rim of both chambers is radiused and mirror polished, and the 65mm TB is cleaned up and ready to be bolted on after I finish the plenum.

I am debating acid porting the manifold, as a few PT members have done with moderate results.

I did spend about 2 hours modifying and polishing the driver's side Speed6 caliper. With little work it cleared the FD wheels by a good 2mm, but my goal of 4mm took quite a bit more grinding than previously thought.

Now that it's polished up, I am trying to decide on a color for all 4 calipers... Thinking about going with green accents, now that I have decided to paint the car white.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Update:
I now have a Millenia KL on the stand, fresh gaskets from the heads up.
The passenger side Speed6 caliper isn't quite finished yet, but the date by which I have to move the car just bumped up...

Working in foul weather isn't fun, but at least I can keep the engine in a garage.
Now that I have everything together, it's just finding the time to wrench it all into place.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

What didn't fit again with those ms6?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

What happened to the block at the machine shop?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The Speed6 calipers require modification to clear FD wheels with any spacers below 18mm in thickness. As that was thicker than I felt compelled to go, I decided to modify them instead.

Thefez,
That block is a money pit, which I am slowly throwing money at while still attempting to get the car road-worthy. I decided to take it slowly, so it will actually suit my needs later on... The endgame plan has changed for it, however.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Clearance problems solved!

Post by MrMazda92 »

ImageImage

The final clearance between the wheel/strut is around 15mm, and the tire/strut is 12mm. Even with the tires flexing under hard cornering, I should never see a rubbing issue... The other issue was clearance between the tire and the factory strut perch, this was resolved here:

I hit the perch with a sawzall, and hand filed the rough edges to a smooth finish, so as to protect the tires in the event of tire roll.

I'm a single camber plate away from a rolling MX-3...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's a stupidly slow process, but the car is finally coming together as I have always hoped... Too bad money has made it a slow venture, I really do miss driving it. :(
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mini update:
The new KL is ready to drop in, along with all new: clutch/throwout bearing/pilot bearing, as well as a resurfaced K8 flywheel.

New timing kit, manual belt tensioner(made by me), valvecover gaskets, water pump, and EGR delete.

I'm debating whether or not I will use my curveneck IM for now, or spring for the straightneck immediately... Without having WBO2 sensors, I would honestly rather use the KL47 ECU and the curveneck for now, just to avoid adding more to my already overfull plate.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

MrMazda92 wrote:Mini update:
The new KL is ready to drop in, along with all new: clutch/throwout bearing/pilot bearing, as well as a resurfaced K8 flywheel.

New timing kit, manual belt tensioner(made by me), valvecover gaskets, water pump, and EGR delete.

I'm debating whether or not I will use my curveneck IM for now, or spring for the straightneck immediately... Without having WBO2 sensors, I would honestly rather use the KL47 ECU and the curveneck for now, just to avoid adding more to my already overfull plate.
Use your G4, so much cleaner when it comes to vacuum routing....

As for your egr delete whats your plan on dealing with the check engine light? Ive tried just the sensor hooked up but its only good for 1/2 the time :cry:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”