Charlie's no budget mid engine build: *Codename:BlakBishop*

Off-Topic Discussions
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Charlie's no budget mid engine build

Post by ethand »

Haha I thought you might like that design idea, Wyt! :lol:
See, I think that if a grill is going to be that big & prominent, it NEEDS mesh to finish the car off, otherwise it looks too raw/cheap/unfinished. Its all about choosing the right mesh fr the job, though. If it doesnt have mesh, it just has a massive gaping hole straight into the engine bay... not cool, IMO...
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Daninski wrote::(

Ok, here's Charlie's project with the 'moonfinish'. Better?

Better.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

:D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Since you've broadened the original question a bit, it begs the question, have you considered anything from the Duratec lineup? Some impressive numbers being spouted about stock engines, I haven't even put much research into it myself, but it's interesting stuff.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I haven't really ever given any thought to the Duratec engine at all. I have a fairly deep seeded disdain for all things Ford...it's irrational I know, but there it is. I chose the VG30 Nissan engine because it's very well known (old) and I can literally call my local JDM importer guy and order a Fairlady front cut for $4000ish and it's easily capable of making 600hp. I don't need or want 600 but I don't want to have to work too hard to get 450.

I have completed the sketches of the car's exterior. It's pretty basic actually. So many custom cars I see just look like an amateurish attempt to make something exotic looking and I really want to avoid that. The car will be very understated. I have the main tub pretty well modeled. I will be moving on to the subframes next.

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on carbon fiber structural stuff. Trying to find examples of other chassis and how many layers, what sandwich core material they are using etc. Most don't publish that sort of detailed information. If you look at pictures of the Lambo you can see the holes in the front bulkhead it looks to be 1/2-3/4" thick whereas other "supercars" i've read about they say the monocoque is 12 layers thick at the highest load areas. That's a very large difference. To get a final thickness of 1/2" even using a layer of core material you would need 20-30 layers of CF. I think before I do any large scale building I will have to do some small test pieces and destroy them to figure out exactly how strong they are.

That's where I'm at. I'm not a very good artist so I'm not ready to post any sketches. Soon maybe when I am satisfied.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ethand

Post by ethand »

Sweet, thats still some pretty nice progress, good work (not that we can see anything much just yet ;) )
Do keep us posted, I'm reading every post with interest! :D
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

After 6 weeks and without any real artistic talent I have finally gotten something on paper that I am comfortable showing to people. It's not intended to emulate a "supercar" or to have a particularly exotic look. I want something that looks like a car...but sexy.

There is a definite Porsche influence.

These are some basic perspective views. Clearly my artwork is not the greatest but you can see what I'm working towards.

Input is welcome.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I assume the side door cutouts are for rear brake and engine cooling? Looks good. The thing is aggressive without being overkill. Classic clean.

Love the profile, except the "dip" from the roof to the rear hatch transition.

The only thing I'm not particularly a fan of is the rear window/shade. I know this is very close to some muscle designs, and even looks a bit losus-ish, but I think it will not work well, functionally.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't see much room for an engine?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah there will be a huge demand for fresh air. 2 Turbos, 2 intercoolers and I want to cool the brakes as well. Plus I think I will need to get some heat out of the engine compartment as you say. Radiators will be front mounted but the turbos will generate a lot of heat.

This is another option I've considered which encorporates an actual hatch with a window. Come to think of it I am pretty sure I like this better myself.

The VG engine is very wide for a V6 but not very long and not extremely tall but you're right it will be quite tight.

In the picture from the previous post the deck lid would be open to allow clearance for the intake manifold. I'm just not a good enough artist to illustrate it effectively. I may also have the B-pillar a touch farther back than it actually needs to be.

Here it is moved a bit forward with the basic outline of the engine.

My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:Yeah there will be a huge demand for fresh air. 2 Turbos, 2 intercoolers and I want to cool the brakes as well. Plus I think I will need to get some heat out of the engine compartment as you say. Radiators will be front mounted but the turbos will generate a lot of heat.
Front-mounted turbo's? heh
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Turbos will be above the transmission along with the exhaust system. Airboxes will be in front of the rear wheels, intercoolers will be behind the rear wheels. I haven't started yet but my idea is to redesign the intake manifold so that the inlets willbe at the back of the engine.

Radiators will be in the nose, The water pump and accessories will be modified to be operated by an electric motor so I can get rid of that huge crank pulley.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Made the rear window bigger, removed the background, moved the B-pillar forward.

My Worklog
My feedback thread
ethand

Post by ethand »

Wow, coming along nicely! I quite like that rear aspect, looks fresh
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I can already tell you're "modified" version is much better! The bigger hatch should also allow some more room for the engine compartment.

Return to “Off-Topic”