Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Evo_Spec

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: Got $5,000 in scholarships!!

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote: like mike and ethand said, you can get them back on the road but the inspection it has to go through is pretty tough and probably not worth it.
on that note, what color is it? if it's emerald green i'd like to buy some parts off it too =D

*edit* i see which one your talking about, the silver one right? so yeah, i won't be needing parts then =P
Correct, however if you dig even deeper there is a guy with a green one selling it for 500 but the engine is shot, I can hook you up with an email if you're down.
no i'm alright, the car's not gonna be drivin for a little while so it really doesn't matter
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

Fair enough Evo.

I had to help my buddy who locked his keys in his 2008 Mercedes C230's trunk. It was painstaking, we ordered a key from Merc and they sent us one but unfortunately the lock for the trunk was seized and we couldn't get to it. So we had to cut a hole in the firewall between the trunk and the back seats in order to reach through and hit the button to pop the trunk. Such an infuriating car and it took almost seven hours to get it done.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I've found another guy selling his car for parts, it's a blue 95 RS with lots of aftermarket goodies. CF hood, side skirts, some kind of front bumper I'm not familiar with, as well as a custom rear bumper I believe. He's got some funky seats and a steering wheel as well as a dual exhaust. I have a feeling he's gonna want a lot for it but I'm hoping that he'll sell it for cheap, because I want a lot of stuff from it. i wouldn't mind taking a hit worth as much as those parts but he hasn't gotten back to me. My assumption for why the cars not runnig is engine or transmission problems but my guess is that this guy won't know unless he went to a mechanic. If i do go down to take a look at the car, what do you guys think i should look out for or look at specifically?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
ethand

Post by ethand »

Sweet. My assumption is that if its just a tranny, the car will at least still start, and probably move somewhat. Engine... well... who knows what to expect, as it could be anything!!
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

Hey Rob if it is a tranny I do have an F-series just sitting at my house collecting dust!! All you would need is a clutch for it!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Ok so I hit up the car yesterday, the car started when i turned the key but there was some funky sounds coming from the car so I killed it. The side skirts and bumpers were all a one piece body kit so I passed on it. There was also a full custom exhaust but I really didn't feel like getting under and cutting it off, also there were definitely some aftermarket coils in there, but once again it was too much work for me yesterday, I just didn't have the time. I took six very nice aftermarket speakers, altezzas without the lens, the CF hood, a reverse gauge cluster along with one of those coloured in gauge set ups(I just took the whole thing out), I grabbed the cone filter as it was free. They wanted $250 for it all but after some negotiation and the guy who's selling it's wife finding out she was from the same village as my dad(It's an east indian thing where we're practically family now) she gave it all to me for $80. I'll post up some pics after cause I know you guys love them.

I realized something as I was leaving though, the wife was in her forties and fifties and her husband sounded that old over the phone, and this car was a very young person car ish. There were all kinds of switches and what not on the inside, some I didn't recognize but I believe there was some type of underglow set up at one point, interior lights, some nice seats that unfortunately smelt like smoke and were light blue. Some other things that didn't make sense for it to be the guy I was talking to's car was that there was a crazy stereo system set up, a condom wrapper in the passenger seat wheel well. Also the vin thing was ripped out and there were ontario plates on the car which when I got there were covered with garbage bags. Another red flag was that this car was a car where you'd be messing with it a lot, so you'd need tools, and they said they had no tools. Another red flag was that when I asked why he was getting rid of the car the guy avoided the question, the same thing when I asked what was wrong with it. After some reflection, I think this car may be stole, but at the very least it didn't belong to the people who sold me the parts. It also seems like the guy didn't know the value of the parts either.

Some goodies I didn't take that are maybe worth getting are:
The coil over set, I'm not sure on the drop but it was noticeable, I'm sure you could get these off of them for $100-$200, just be firm on the negotiation and they'll cave in.
The body kit, there was now little ding on the passenger rear quarter panel, can probably be taken care of easy. It's all one piece though, and it seems like it'd need to be taken off then lifted over top of the car and you'd need a large truck to take it home with. you can probably get this off of them for around $200
The dual exhaust, it's a custom one that was done by a muffler shop, it fits around the spare wheel well so it'd be no problem to fit onto a stock MX except for the left muffler, I think it may conflict with our tow hooks, I'm not sure though. Probably can get this for around $100
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So the number the guy gave me is no longer in service........
My CF hood :D It's an invader style hood although you can't really see in this picture.
Other goodies: Steering wheel, six MTX audio speakers and pod filter + couplers.
I got the steering wheel mostly for the boss kit, which I broke during extraction however :(
The speakers I got because they'll fit right into our stock spots.
The pod filter because i wanted the couplers, just because I don't' trust my filter and my MAF are airtight.
I originally got the tail lights so I could give them to Tavman, but since they have CF and the there are no lens I think I'll throw them on my car so that they'll match my hood. :D Tav, buddy, you can get my old ones hahah
And as for the gauge cluster, I had to cut two black cables that come from the back right part of it in order to get it out, I cut them far back so that if I need them to repair I can, I don't want the blue part I just want the reverse glow gauges, anyone know of an easy way to get in without damaging anything?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:And as for the gauge cluster, I had to cut two black cables that come from the back right part of it in order to get it out, I cut them far back so that if I need them to repair I can, I don't want the blue part I just want the reverse glow gauges, anyone know of an easy way to get in without damaging anything?
i can't believe you got that for $80, that's insanely lucky.
as for the cluster, it's super easy, if you look at it closely you'll see plastic tabs you need to push in to get it off and its like that for both the clear lens and blue part. text me if you have problems
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

Nice job on all the stuff!! $80 bucks thats rediculous!! I might take you up on that offer for the tail lights haha
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

yo man, this is not going to work out. I can not allow the same colour mx, spoiler, projectors and hood in the same city.

Some things gotta go. Sorry about your luck.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:yo man, this is not going to work out. I can not allow the same colour mx, spoiler, projectors and hood in the same city.

Some things gotta go. Sorry about your luck.
I guess you're gonna need to sell your car to someone out of the city then :D
Evo_Spec wrote:
RobMinhas wrote:And as for the gauge cluster, I had to cut two black cables that come from the back right part of it in order to get it out, I cut them far back so that if I need them to repair I can, I don't want the blue part I just want the reverse glow gauges, anyone know of an easy way to get in without damaging anything?
i can't believe you got that for $80, that's insanely lucky.
as for the cluster, it's super easy, if you look at it closely you'll see plastic tabs you need to push in to get it off and its like that for both the clear lens and blue part. text me if you have problems
Sounds good boss, I'll try it out.
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

The raised spoilers are awesome!! Mine looks great in white!!
ethand

Post by ethand »

WOW nice score!!!! Sheesh!! Well the gauge cluster is almost as simple as Evospec said - there are 3 black tabs on the top, 3 on the bottom, plus 1 clear tab on each side & two clear ones on the bottom. Just get a flat-headed screwdriver & push down & out on them & they'll pop out. Before you do this, though, you'll need to unscrew the top screw (or both) on each of the metal mounting brackets on the top of the cluster (they're the ones painted blue that we can see in the pic). You'll then be able to take the whole front section off, & then you can remove the blue front cover, or swap the whole lense + trim over from your existing gauge cluster. While you're at it, change the colour of the internal flasher lense to match the colour of your gauge's backlighting! It looks so much cooler than green! I changed mine to red, I just bought a transparent red File folder/letter file & cut out the shape of the existing lense (I made mine two of the red lenses thick, then hacked up a pair of old 3D sunglasses from the cinema to put as my front lense, giving it a more OEM look :D )
I figure while you already have it all out & in peices, you may as well do it! Haha :)
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I put on the hood and the tail lights, its unfortunately too dark for me to take decent pictures though, so I did what I could.
There isn't enough weight from the hood to keep the bumper bra on properly so I had to remove it.
I took apart the gauge cluster like you guys said, I removed the lens cover over it and snapped a pic.
I'm thinking maybe I'll just swap this bit in straight up, that way I have less disassembly, I also cut the wires that lead to the gauges that light them up, is that easily fixable? For anyone who has these, do they wire up to a switch? Or is there a way to wire them to your daytime runners?

And a correction, this isn't an invader hood, it is a pakfeifer.

@Ethand, I ike where you're going with that, I'll definely consider it.

@Tavman_1213, true that, you're spoiler looks great. I just need to do another proper rattle can coat and primer on mine some time haha
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I washed my car and got moisture in the bulbs :'( I have access to them so I can dry them out hopefully. I guess this means I'll have to cover them up to wash my car :(

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”