motor oil for summer season

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: motor oil for summer season

Post by MrMazda92 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:You guys are crazy for running anything other than 5W-30 or 0W-30. Even 5W-30 isn't perfect on cold-start but it's the best thing that's readily available. Whoever is running 40 is causing premature engine wear as well as it would take A LOT of CONSTANT high rpm driving for 40 to thin out enough to provide proper lubrication. I dunno where you guys are getting your theories from but it sounds like a lot of you need to read up on oil. I also doubt anyone of you is running oil pressure & temp gauges to back it up.
If the blue section is fact, then the people who created these cars(and many others!!!) are dead wrong, and are all stupid. I disagreed with this, and you got defensive. That's your problem, so stop trying to make a pissing match out of it.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

MrMazda92 wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote:You don't agree, that doesn't mean it's wrong. If you don't like it, don't reply.
Take your own advice. And if you're disagreeing with facts, then yes, it IS wrong.
You contradicted yourself countless times in your ramblings.

Do me a favor, and kiss my a--. ;) I am here to learn and to share what I have learned, not to read your psychobabble internet ego trip. If you have a problem with my posts, that's wonderful. Don't try to pass off your diatribes as fact, when they simply aren't.

You can reply and chest beat on the internet all you want, I won't be a part of it anymore. You already mis-inform people daily, and will do so no matter what anybody here says.

You may know a fair bit about cars, but you act like you know a great deal more. I simply can not, and will not agree with your OPINION on this. That, is exactly what you have given so far.
Is it just me or has this forum been over-run with arrogant n00bs lately? Let me add you to the list along with Inodoro. Bunch of guys acting like hot shots but have nothing to show for it. Give me ONE example of how I misinformed anyone on this forum and I will gladly resign. Whenever I am wrong I admit it. I never give harmful advice to anyone. It is you n00bs that are in fact posting misinformation and other egotistical crap on here and I feel it is my DUTY to protect the forum, which I feel is my home, from it. So much for trying to help you pricks.

P.S. - Now I know why your car was keyed. Karma. You deserve it.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's just you.

You'll resign after 1 example of misinformation? Refer to my last post in this thread.

Naturally, you'll go back on the resignation; I expect that, as you regularly say things that aren't true. There's a word for people like that, look it up.

As for me deserving it, I hope we meet someday. Karma Indeed.

This is a big part of why I don't typically like forums, and it's sad to see it happening here. People state their opinion and try to pass it off as fact. Somebody disagrees, and has the stones to say it. First person decides to get butt-hurt and defensive, because they take it as an attack against their knowledge.

There are FAR more knowledgeable people on here than me, and I can admit that. Most of them will also take the time to think over their words before spitting them out, and I respect that. Nightshade has put up positive information in the past, as well as incorrect information. We all have, but not all of us get butt-hurt and try to thug it up on the internet. Thankfully this forum has friends and foes lists, I'll be using that from now on.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on November 21st, 2010, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Sheesh guys, I mean, a pissing match is fun every once in awhile, but lighten up, eh? Lay out some solid facts and then there can be no arguments...

Oil has been, and always will be a preference thing. No one has the capability to test every oil, so its accepted that there is no 'magic oil'. Just use what works for you, share your opinions, but everyone in the end needs to find out what works for them. Unless you're using lawnmower oil, you'll be fine... The most important thing is regular changes.

If you want to fry your brain, go join bobistheoilguy.com
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Ryan, there is no magic oil, you're right about that. But considering the fact that every engine at its operating temperature is designed to have oil of a particular viscosity running through it for best performance and last, it doesn't leave much room to play around with. I'm not sure why certain individuals on here with no knowledge on the topic, it seems, feel like it makes more sense to support one guy that ran 10W-40 as opposed to the masses that use 5W-30.
MrMazda92 wrote:As for me deserving it, I hope we meet someday. Karma Indeed.
Oh I would love that.
MrMazda92 wrote:This is a big part of why I don't typically like forums, and it's sad to see it happening here. People state their opinion and try to pass it off as fact. Somebody disagrees, and has the stones to say it. First person decides to get butt-hurt and defensive, because they take it as an attack against their knowledge.
Sounds like a perfect description of yourself.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:. I'm not sure why certain individuals on here with no knowledge on the topic, it seems, feel like it makes more sense to support one guy that ran 10W-40 as opposed to the masses that use 5W-30.

I could think of a few reasons...

#1 Oil technology has come very far since 1992.
#2 If you live in a hot climate, 10W is acceptable, as per the manual.
#3 40 is supposed to perform just as well as 30. The way I understand it, is the first number is the cold performance, and the last number is the hot performance. 0W100 should be just as effective as a straight 30 weight oil, at the temp that corresponds to whatever 30 means.

So.... if it works for him, great.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Lulzzzz

Oil fight ftw
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
_-Night-Shade-_

Ryan wrote:I could think of a few reasons...

#1 Oil technology has come very far since 1992.
#2 If you live in a hot climate, 10W is acceptable, as per the manual.
#3 40 is supposed to perform just as well as 30. The way I understand it, is the first number is the cold performance, and the last number is the hot performance. 0W100 should be just as effective as a straight 30 weight oil, at the temp that corresponds to whatever 30 means.

So.... if it works for him, great.
#1 - It sure has, not sure what you're getting at though. Elaborate. Viscosity ratings haven't changed.

#2 - Our engines operate around 180F (thermostat fully open) which is way hotter than any climate on the planet. Don't see how climate is relevant.

#3 - At the same temperature 40 will be thicker than 30 so no, their performance will be quite different in the same engine.

At the end of the day, it's your engines not mine. You can choose to decrease their lives by running oil of improper viscosity if you want.

@ mitmaks: Those charts are contradicting each other and make no sense. Where are you getting this stuff? You already posted one from a BMW bike forum. They need to be relevant. The proper oil viscosity/temperature combo is relevant to the application, we're talking about MX-3s here.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Climate does have a big impact. The car runs at climate temperature for quite awhile. Engines rarely have oiling problems when at operating temperature. Its when they initially start up, and when you're running them hard. If you're doing to argue, don't over simplify. You should know that the initial startup is the main concern of many oil gurus.

How can you say climate doesn't matter... if is -40 outside, like it gets here quite often, the car runs sub zero according to the coolant (any not by unreasonable extension, the oil) for 5 minutes or more.

Are you sure that 40 weight is thicker at whatever temperature corresponds to 30 than a 30 weight? I have never come across/understood something that said that.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Yeah I'm sure. That's how the whole number thing works. If they were both the same one wouldn't be 40 and the other 30, they'd both be 30. I was referring to the hot part of climate, of course climate is important for cold starts. But that's the more reason why you want the FIRST number to be as low as possible. 0W-30 is hard to come by and only comes in synthetic, so 5W-30 is more practical. But my point is this: if there's two oils (5W-30 and 10W-30) and they are exactly the same except one is better for your engine in the cold, why wouldn't you get it? I wouldn't even care if I was in Australia, 5W-30 still better corresponds to the temperature vs. viscosity relationship for our engines than 10W-30.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm about to go research on my own, but I was sure that 5w40 and 5W100 would work the same at whatever temp corresponds to a 30, or 40 weight.

that the number wasn't is "prime operating temperature" but its "max prime operating temperature".

Any links or ideas to help me understand?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ryan: did you read the info at the link you posted?
I did. Most of the questions you're posting now are answered there.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

bobistheoilguy is a massive site, and I trolled it excessively a few years ago...

But I did find in multiple sources that a wider spread (via polymers) is a bad thing, because the polymers are what break down and cause sludge, etc...

so, pick the smallest range you can, with the lowest rating you need. 5W30.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ryan wrote:
But I did find in multiple sources that a wider spread (via polymers) is a bad thing, because the polymers are what break down and cause sludge, etc...

so, pick the smallest range you can, with the lowest rating you need. 5W30.
Or use synthetic. No VIIs there.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”