KLZE AWD Swap Research!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: KLZE AWD Swap Research!

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:Try to stay unfocused Mike...ok?
I'll try, but no guarantees!
se7en wrote:Okay, I m going to thread jack this one....but do any of those cars with AWD also include the v6?

v6 awd turbo 5-spd mx-3 would be great!
We've known for a while that they came with KLZE's, but apparently to they come on the FS i4 and/or the KF v6. We've always known they came in automatic, but we've never found any info saying that there's a manual gearbox version of the AWD that makes to a KL.
onlytrueromeo wrote:I WILL be designing and building my own car someday, I hope it happens sooner than later - I just need to graduate so I can make money to fund my wicked ideas...

Manual CVT AWD car w/ LSD, powered by a turbo diesel w/ gobs or torque anyone? (This clearly wouldn't be the mx3 - but since we're off topic anyway!)
CVT, really? :?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Might as well overkill it...one engine per wheel...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

As long as there wouldn't be too much frictional loss in the CVT I have sketched, it would be far stronger than a standard tranny, and more fun than a regular auto CVT - not to mention it wouldnt be computer controlled so it'd be easy to build.

Pre-set "shift points" for specific RPMs to keep the car in the power band, this would be done by pushing the shifter forward 1 click to upshift, and backward to downshift. It's actually rather simple! My grandfather and I designed it when I was like 14. I have since improved upon the design.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

Flyer wrote:Might as well overkill it...one engine per wheel...

yeah, mounted outside the car for optimal interior space/comfort.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^ and cooling!
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

I always thought it would be interesting to do a front-engine, rear motor design. The rear motor/battery could be totally self-contained, charging itself using a regenerative braking technique while coasting/stopping. During acceleration, they could act as torque assistance whenever they detect front wheel-slip (or WOT), up to 60km/h. After that they shut off, since the front wheels have likely regained traction, and the motors have reached their peak power output.

At cruising speed, they charge the battery pack by loading the engine (drag from rear wheels). They could adjust the throttle slightly (drive-by-wire or IAC valve) so the driver doesn't feel the extra load. You could have an override switch to temporarily disable the charging system (ie. while racing). Could also use an alternator link for continuous trickle charging while idling.

Bam.. simple, instant hybrid. Plus if you had big enough battery packs, you could leave the engine off entirely except for range and top speed; just leave it in neutral. Perfect for gas-tree transportation around town (assuming you have somewhere to plug in). Also good for sitting in traffic; you could kill the engine, and crawl along with the electric motors. When it clears, press a button and the engine fires up.

The entire system wouldn't add more than 100lbs to the car, including a 1.5kWh battery pack, two 10kW motors, and the charge/motor controller.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

One Idea that I had been intertaining for a while very much along the lines of a
porsche 944, though using a transfercase to take a second drive shaft forward
for the front wheels, thus giving good weight distrubution.

Nissian must have mind readers ( or good drugs ) as thats what the underside
of the new R35 looks like to me.

I was intertaining the RWD option for the mazda as doing the sheet metal work in
the back is easier than the front firewall. also weight distrubution

Return to “Transmissions”