Improving Attendence At The Meets?

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

Not in the right thread but its relevant, I think John suggested a meet in Brantford I can host it if people are willing to travel out here theres actually quite a few decent spots to meet with heavy flow traffic if you want gawkers plus we wont get invaded by rice rockets haha most of the spots are like a 5 mins drive from the 403 offramps (easy directions tho) if there is enough interest in a meet out here I can schedule one for thursday or sunday
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Personally, I'm not much of a "leader", but I step in when needed. After reading about a closing of a chapter in the MX-West club, and the low attendance in our meets, I was thinking, could the TO MX-3's be next? For those of you who don't know, the Toronto Mx-3 club was created about 2 years ago, maybe just over. After hearing that the main person who (and did a very good job) organised most events in 2004 was getting discouraged by our turn outs to not even come out to the meets themselves, I figured something needed to be done, but meet attendance is a catch 22 situation; if the meets are low in attendance, people don't show up. :?

Now my opinion for the meets themselves, two a week can be alot, but it depends on the amout of meeting location, if we do them too often, people will get board and start to not show up, we want meets to be enjoyable and worthwhile, and not make it a chore. People have lives outsite their cars, and that should be expected as well. But if the people at a specific location wanna meet at that spot weekly, than that's fine, but each location should be tailored to suite those local to that area, and whatever conviniences them the most.

Personally, this is a car club, and cars are for driving, and people in this club that are enthousiastic about their cars (otherwise why would you be here), it should be safe to assume that they would be enthousiastic about driving as well. Myself, I can't just drive wherever, I need a reason, an excuse to drive, and the meets are perfect for that. But people don't seem to want to drive. Now, it's not my place to ask, so I won't, I just find it ironic, thats all, but everyone has their reasons, people have lives and other interestes as well, fortunately, I'm not the only crazy person this year that will drive anywhere, so I don't feel so bad :D

Now, what we did yesterday I think works well, meet at one local location, and drive as a convoy to another. Although we really need to work on our convoys (and communication so people don't get lost ;)), it makes it more enjoyable to drive with other people.

Myself, being almost central to Toronto now, as well as still coming home to Niagara, I can basically come and be at any meets in any area, unless I post otherwise. If I'm suppose to be there, don't be affraid to call me on my cell: 905-329-6491, names Mike, for those that don't know. Honnestly, only 2 years ago, I was just a newbie with a stock car with an "interesting" ICE setup. My car was basically stock when I started to go to the meets, and thanks to the ideas and guidance of those that had more experience than my gave me ideas and influenced that could be done to my car, and any help or questions that I had could be answered, hopefully we can continue to provide the community with the same type of environment. It's actually nice to see stock Mx-3's at the meets. When I first bought it, the only thing i had planned was to fix the window moldings and a CarPC, now look at all the other mods I've done, man, I still haven't fixed the window moldings :oops: ;)

We'll play around with meets and meeting locations for the next while, and hopefully if the meets go well, and people start to get to know each other, and the weather gets warmer, and it stops frigging raining, we can start to plan some events after the Mississauga Mazda Meet. The problem with me and events, in order for me to attend, they have to be in the evenings during the week and the weekend, my days off are Thursday/Friday, and the rest of the normal working people work during the day on those days, so my ability to plan and organise active events is limited. One thing I had in mind, especially with a good chunk of swapped Mx-3's is a dyno day, which I'm sure will interest a good amout of people, but that may have to be a weekend-during-the-day event, which I cannot attend untill it's after 6pm, so I may be SOL on that, but just to throw an idea out there.

Nothings set in stone in anyway, anyone have any suggesions/idea, please, throw them this way, the more the better.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I've got my own rant along the same lines:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=15

In future I think I'll be bringing my FRS radios with me to the meets. An excellent thing to have if an impromtu ride occurs and we can keep in contact with each other. A necassary and invaluable item as those of us who went to Ottawa already know. They're not expensive and crappy tire has lots with various options/functions and occasionally they go on sale too. I will bring mine to the next meeting.
Note: Those that do organize/post a meet, if a dedicated FRS freq/channel # is also posted, that would be an excellent idea for those to make contact with others if they get lost enroute or need the final directions to a specific place.
Opinions????
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I am DEFINITLY getting one of those radios :D
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I'll give you my thoughts on this and I'll say it again.

Weeknight meets are a bad time to have meets. People have work and school the next day. I for one cant go galavanting around meeting up with other mx3 owners because its pointless for me to show up. If the meets are in woodbridge they usually dont start till 8ish at which time I would have to leave because I need to get to bed so I can get up the next morning. So I'll say it again weeknights are a horrible time. I am a rare exception where I only have saturdays off but most people have the whole weekend off.

Try planning the meets for early/mid afternoon on sunday. I'm sure most people are availiable then. Church goers are usually out around noon so their afternoon is empty.

Also I think once a week is a little much. How about once every 2 weeks or maybe once a month. Why does everyone insist on getting together once a week, some people dont even see their relatives that often. How about hosting events at each meet as well. This would justify the cutback in meetings.

Change the woodbridge meet to a day at Dave and Busters. Have a BBQ in hamilton. The same old coffee shop doesnt seem to be working so lets get some variety. With a BBQ you could host it on a sunday afternoon. I'm sure theres a park out there that has BBQs. Someone takes the lead and plans it all, going out and gathering all the costs (food, drinks, park rental, etc...) and comes back with a price. Then he or she takes a tally of whos coming, divides up the cost and everyone chips in. I'm sure it would only be a couple of bucks. This way everyone comes and has a great time. I've been thinking about hosting a BBQ in centennial park in toronto but I just dont have the time. We'll see how July/August is and maybe I can arrange something.

Theres tons of different things that can be done.

We could even have a Canada's Wonderland day. Someone buys the tickets (with a slight increase to buy mx3.com shirts) and people meet up there and get their shirt. I'm a mountain of ideas but I just dont have time for meets. Work keeps me too busy.
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

it makes no sense to me why our mx-3 peeps are not making the effort to come to at least one meet a week.... Convoys are fun. we have to all come together though... even if its just for an hour... we all take great pleasure in seein our sexy cars especially the CID's done to the max, like John's or Melissa's those are the only extremes I've seen but I know there are more....

Come on guys lets get together, take some pics.... enjoy a cruise on lakeshore or something... even if its for an hour or two, we dont mind...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pearl-JapSpec

Post by Pearl-JapSpec »

when i get my ride back and done ill be down.
events are always a good way to bring the family together, go-karting in 03 was fun. Maybe a day at wonderland followed by a cruise through doodbridge? haha just an idea.
hell ill come in my Benz if the time and place havent changed.
Car Out Of Order For Now...
2 weeks In counting till re-incarnation!!
New G-Force Front Bumper!!
-_-_-_- Pics On Site -_-_-_-
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3_junkee
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

ggrrr a benz lucky guy
ImageImageImageImageImage
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

johnnyb wrote:I can see how a lot of you like west end meets but this isnt good for the east end people. Thats why I'm making an amendment to my earlier post.

Week 1: Whitby
Week 2: Hamilton
Week 3: Woodbridge
Week 4: Barrie

This would cover most of southern ontario for anyone that would like to meet up
Yay for Whitby meets 8)
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

i think the lakefront in burlington would be an awesome meet spot since its almost right off the highway and fair driving distance for peeps in the GTA as well as Niagara, wont mention anyone further west i seem to be the only one alive past hamilton lol

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”