KLZE how much?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE how much?

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
Originally posted by Eggo:
synap I think u can get a KL62 ecu to run the ZE and keep your stock wiring harness. I read on the board the KL62 is OBD2
If I wasn't so tired right now, I'd go slam my head into the god damned wall right now.
I know what you mean - why don't people search???

The KL62 route has been well written-up on this board. It is a JDM ECU for a late model Millenia, so it is NOT OBDII, and it uses a MAF. It is compatible with Probes/MX-6s provided the harness is modified to suit the MAF, but it will not just plug into a MX-3 because, although it uses the same connectors as the OBDII cars,
the OBDII MX-3 is 100% pin-incompatible with OBDII KL engined cars
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I thought they got rid of the 6 in NA and made the GS package with the 4 cyl only
In the US they got rid of the v6 in 94 and up if i remember correctly, but they kept it in Canada
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
No crap. Here's what I could do, even with all thse crazy upgrades people want to do at the same time:

KLZE - $850 (drive my *** 5 hours to Arizona to pick up = no shipping costs)
RR-Racing Stage 2 clutch on ProbeTalk bulk buy - $235
Urethane to fill stock motor mounts - $30
Get K8 flywheel resurfaced - $40 locally
Timing belt kit $140
Mazda timing belt tensioner - $141
New accesory belts - $15 for both
New accesory bearings - $10 for both
Brand new waterpump with lifetime warranty - $70
Royal Purple tranny and motor oil - $70
KLZE ECU - $250

That's all analogous to the stuff listed above. $1850 U.S. Based on today's exchange rate, that's only $2100 Canadian. And that's assuming you don't maintain your existing K8. I've already got all new timing and accesory junk, newer water pump, so that's $370 worth of junk I don't need. As well, my spark plug wires are less than 6 months old, and my distributor is only a year old. So when I'm ready for my swap, I'm getting a new clutch, and that's it. And even then, I'm just getting an OEM Exedy clutch and a reman driver's axle since mine needs replacing anyways. That's all I need without going forced induction or nitrous. If you look on Probetalk, the newest N/A 1/4 mile champ was using an OEM clutch with lightening the car. Our cars are already 250 lbs lighter than a Probe, so I don't see the point in going higher than a Stage 1 unless you're going to be going to the track every weekend and dropping your clutch at 6,000 RPM.
Labour wasn't included. I got my parts at reputable shops, i didn't care about nickle and diming the whole thing, i wanted good parts, and the right parts, but also, i'm sure the market here may be different here for parts. And i paid $1600 ($1200 before taxes and shipping) cause i got it from engineland cause i've heard alot of good things about them and their engines (lazzyie even recommended them), the LAST thing i wanted was a bad engine, especially since my car was my only car and daily driver, even then, Japan Auto, which was also recommended, wanted $2450 for a ZE when i was pricing around, but i guess the market has changed in the last year and a half since i did my swap.

Curt has slipping issues with his OEM clutch and his ZE. After the ZE swap and everything was broken in, i did go the the track every weekend, but i stopped cause i wore the hell out of my tires. When i was researching the ZE swap, people on the board either did stage 2 or stage 3 clutches with ZE swaps, I dont like to do something and regret i didnt spend more money on something better later on, so i played it safe and went stage 3.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

synap I think u can get a KL62 ecu to run the ZE and keep your stock wiring harness. I read on the board the KL62 is OBD2
I read that for some reason the obd2 engine harnesses are different so i dont know if that ecu would plug right in to his harness. Anybody know for sure?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

also if it did plug in you would have to do an maf conversion. I would just pick up a klde vaf. Thats all you need besides the engine. And with the money you save trying to get a ze ecu to run it, you could get a 2.5" cat back exhaust and some headers.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
I read that for some reason the obd2 engine harnesses are different so i dont know if that ecu would plug right in to his harness. Anybody know for sure?
Read my post above (posted November 24, 2004 05:32 AM). I know for sure - I have the N. American 1996 model wiring diagrams.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”