Running a ZE on 87 octane?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
killerpickle

Re: Running a ZE on 87 octane?

Post by killerpickle »

what if our opinions are based on the "fact" that we drive our klze powered vehicles and have tried 87 and 94 octane fuel and noticed a big difference? As for the k8, it can't really hurt to use 94 octane fuel could it? I put 87 in always and seemed fine so in my opinion I wouldn't waste the extra 2 bucks to put 94 in my old k8.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i aint talking about putting 87 in a K8-DE, were talking about a KL-ZE, put what you want in the K8 but the dont be so cheap and whatnot comes from the fact that its a high reving, high compression, high performance motor meant for 92+

and just a side note, my K8 always ran better on 89 or higher
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i wonder sometimes if anyone reads the links i or others post on this forum.

no, running higher than 87 octane will only hurt your wallet if its not necessary. just considered your k8 spoiled or if u had to run it to feel the same performance all of us do on 87 it coulda been that your motor has tons of carbon build up, or was developing a cooling issue causing detonation. engines dont detonate if they are fine and tip top condition.

high reving does not mean high octane is necessary the ze revs as high as the klde/k8.
bikes run higher compression than many high performance engines for cars and do it well on 87 not to mention they normally rev almost 2 or 3 times as high as our v6's.

would also say since a 1.6 d16 can rev out to 8k that it must requires 91? my point is there is more to octane than high reving and high compression. detonation occurs largely from high intake temperatures. obviouisly, there is a reason causing your high temps. it could be a thermostat that needs replacing, or maybe u live somewhere miserably hot like arizona or texas.

if u truely can "feel" the difference, please take a ride in my car and tell me how much hp i have so i can save some cash and time of going to a dyno.

bottom line - detonation is the only reason for running higher octane. you run higher octane with nos and retard timing why? to prevent detonation. timing and fuel curves are tuned differently on turbo'd or sc'd or all out super n/a cars vs stock or bolt ons, why? so they dont detonate. either use higher octane fuel or add more fuel or in some cases both. on a stock car or one only bolt ons u might want to run a cooler spark plug. i doubt higher octane would do anything. getting way off topic and keep going on what other factors can contribute to detonation but i doubt it will make a difference to you guys.

u all who dont believe me, go surf around on honda-tech.com f/i forum. ull find many people are running the conventional low compression + boost all the way to stock itrs on 10.6 compression. sometimes ull find a nice hardcore tuner that did the whole shebang and did something insane like 12.5:1 or 13:1 compression with boost on top. if u check out the n/a forums ull find some people run insanely high 13 some compression on 10k rpm daily drivers. all this insane tuning is possible on 91 fuel so what makes u thing your ze is starving for 91 or 94 for some of u?

ive had enough of this thread. driving a car and "feeling the difference" is still "feeling the difference" nothing more than opinion still. if someone can prove that it makes a difference, im sure ian and i both, among others would gladly give our engines the best to get the most performance. otherwise anything above manufacturer stated requirements is just burning a hole in your pocket.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

okay :) put 87 octane in your klze powered mx3, drive the crap out of it. Then put 94 and drive the crap out of it. And then you tell me Im stupid and there is no noticable difference. If Im not mistaken the klze is tuned to run on 104 octane in japan...not sure what that converts to in our formula? However, on that point, I agree that above manufacturer suggested octane is a waste...

<small>[ January 04, 2004, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: killerpickle ]</small>
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Originally posted by killerpickle:
okay :) put 87 octane in your klze powered mx3, drive the crap out of it.
i did or i wouldnt tell someone else to do it. i wouldnt tell someone else to do it so i can find out... that ****ed up... :shrug:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”