matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

Post by mx3matt »

no not yet. gotta buy a ac adapter so i can bring it inside
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so this weekends starts with a probe disty swap, and a reflash of the firmware and a fresh start hopefully.
been carless for almost a week now and i'll be buying another car early next week if this doesnt fix the problem, i'm out of options and require a vehicle and only have space for one so part out is beginning to seem inevitable.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i'm hoping you guys can help me get this thing up and running.

i'm trying to figure out exactly what i need to install to make coilpacks work, i emailed stratified with no response at this point and i cant keep waiting.
today i yanked my current disty out and went to install the spare i had and realized that its got a different disty cap and i'll have to make another external coil type cap.

i'd much rather just go straight to coilpacks......this was the last response i got from stratified and i was happy to find out that i didnt need to do too much to get a coilpack installed.

"The ECU you will need to open up and change how some of the jumpers are setup and add wiring. In terms of components inside the ECU; no, the MS has the logic level outputs that you can choose to drive the coil packs. Take a look at the documentation in terms of what I/O is available.
Alex"

so based off what he said i started trying to search forums and the different megamanuals to see if there was a good write up anywhere. part of the problem i'm finding is my skill level is definetly not up to par and i'm just not finding myself able to wrap my head around this.
if you look at the above pick there is a spark a/spark b/ spark c.
what my take on that is that each spark output runs 2 cylinders.

i'd like to run ford coilpack cuz its extremely cost effective for me as i work for ford, but the ford edis system also uses a ignition module to drive the coilpack.
but would i require a module if the logic level ignition outputs are driving the coilpack?

theres just so much information and different setups out there i dont even know where to start.

hopefully someone can lend a hand and help me move on to the next issue lol.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

i should also add that to begin with i'll have to shave a tooth off off my existing k8 crank pulley as i havent located a 36-1 626 pulley yet.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I know what you're saying... so much information.

I'm trying to get it started on the regular disti first, than move from there.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

well with the stratified, hook up a stock disty is actually pnp and really straight forward. when you ready to run i can give you a hand with the intial setup as i've got that down pat now.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

WhiteFinish wrote:I know what you're saying... so much information.

I'm trying to get it started on the regular disti first, than move from there.
and just to add. honestly that was my thought also, if i was to go back and do it over again, i'd get all the components required for the coilpacks and just install that from the beginning and just skip the disty.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

For me the hooking up wasn't a problem.
It was/ is understanding tunerstudio and all the settings.

Worklog
Worklog click
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i havent been able to get it running.

i went ahead and soldering every connection that had been previously butt connected, and i should be recieving another power tower today so i can mod the cap on the swapped disty.
my honest opinion is that the crank sensor in the original k8 disty bit the bullet, so once i get the cap modded and swapped over hopefully it'll start up again. then i can get the tooth and composite logging done to see if i'm getting noise in the vr sensor.
i've spent 3-4 hours a night researching noise and ignition sync loss issues, once thing thats popped up a few times is the fact that the gm 4 pin hei module doesn't do computer timing so it's got me wondering if i've got a problem there as well.

i went back over all my datalog's and i've had sync loss issues since day 1. i've been in contact with stratified and alex has advised me to stick with the disty awhile longer and try to work the bugs out before introducing coilpacks.
i'm just stressed that i'm not smart enough to have this figured out lol. and taking the bus sucks balls.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so the mx is getting parked for who knows how long. bought a beater 2001 grand prix gtp n/a to get around for now.

disappointed i couldnt get it up and running.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Keep it up and don't give in !

Worklog
Worklog click
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!

got the probe disty installed and its almost started on the first crank.
its been outside running for about 15 minutes.

must have been the disty crank sensor cuz as soon as i swapped it in boom started right up.
idles beautiful and revs hard all the way up to redline so i'll have an update after i take it out for a drive.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

stills pulls nice!
i've still got some issues with sync loss, but over the span of about of an hour and a half i only had 3 sync loss events with a reason 11(too few teeth). once i figure out how to upload my datalogs and compostie loggers i'll get something posted up.

throttle postion sensor still is giving weird readings, cycles between 1-4% even when the engines not running. so i've got more to figure out there but she runs and doesnt feel much different then before i began having the issues.

i think i've got some electrical intereference and i noticed alot of the little fluctuations began after i followed megasquirt instructions to ground my wideband directly to the ecu to avoid ground loops, but i've been chasing bad wiring and bad grounds since the back when i had to install the high output alternator.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Worklog
Worklog click
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

So I had a couple days of noproblems, but today the cutting out started again. Im starting to think it has something to do with the hei module and stock dizzy module fighting each other.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”