Will Thomas 93 BPT-Tuning

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Will Thomas' 93 MX-3 BPT Flat Black Finished

Post by Josh »

Will Thomas wrote: You can't duplicate a factory finish with a can. Shiny does not work with a can. You need to use a paint that cures with a catylist and not with air drying. Spray bomb will just not cure properly. Thats why we do flat and primer.
Do not mean to jack your WL but this statement above is completely false. If you can't get a glossy finish with a can then you are doing it wrong. I have blended entire quarter panels with no issues. Its all in the prep and technique.

Your car looks great BTW, very nicely done.
Will Thomas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Will Thomas' 93 MX-3 BPT Flat Black Finished

Post by Will Thomas »

Josh wrote:
Will Thomas wrote: You can't duplicate a factory finish with a can. Shiny does not work with a can. You need to use a paint that cures with a catylist and not with air drying. Spray bomb will just not cure properly. Thats why we do flat and primer.
Do not mean to jack your WL but this statement above is completely false. If you can't get a glossy finish with a can then you are doing it wrong. I have blended entire quarter panels with no issues. Its all in the prep and technique.

Your car looks great BTW, very nicely done.
You are not jacking my thread :) Your statement is 100% accurate.

Ok, let me rephrase what I was trying to say. I do not believe that you can get professional results, professional shine, or durability out of cheap Wal-Mart spray paint, the supplies used and a $40 budget. It does not cure with the strength of a typical automotive finish. In a short time, it will become porous, lose shine and stain (don’t touch it with a greasy hand).
Now, there are methods of improving the quality of a spray can paint job. Assuming you have prepped the surface properly (which should be done regardless of the quality of the paint), you can use a high quality sealer that will prevent the paint from soaking into areas where primer was sprayed over Bondo, or where the paint is really dry and powdery .
Using a high quality paint will assure better results as well. I use Krylon, Rustoleum and Wally World paint and they all spray differently and I prefer Krylon for shiny stuff ( It’s what I used on my IC piping). I haven’t used Dupli-Color to paint a car because it’s $8 a can and the cost to “Spray Bomb” a car can easily get into the hundreds of dollars defeating the purpose of the DIY rattle can job.
As mentioned by Josh, technique is paramount and I couldn’t agree more. It’s important with a can that the paint flashes between coats but is not allowed to dry completely. Also, you don’t want the can too close as you will have stripes if your overlap is not correct. Worse yet is to create a run the length of your door or quarter because you are not overlapping correctly. If you hold the can too far back, you will be spraying dry and will never develop a shine. You may think that dumping 12 to 15 cans of color onto an MX-3 is excessive, but 30% or more of that will never find it’s way onto the car and you won’t even be close to the film thickness of a single stage automotive paint job.
I think the best bet in increasing the durability and shine of a rattle can job is to wet sand the car once the paint is cured and then clear it. I would wait two days and wet sand it with 900 grit (1200 or 1500 if you are nervous about busting through the color due to inexperience or lack of film thickness) re wrap the car and unload another 15 or so cans of clear onto it. If you really want to get it to shine, you can wait a couple more days, wet sand and then polish it with a buffer.
As far as performing a blend? Yes, with the proper prep, well matched rattle can and a high quality clear I could do the job better than a lot of the bodyshops in our area. But, it would come out better if I used my Sata Jet 90 and a top notch paint system. Oh, it would last longer as well.
I love reading other people’s worklogs and the quality of work I see is top notch. I have no doubt that I could make a car look better with spray bomb than a lot of “budget” body shops and I have seen proof in other worklogs that there are people here that can do the same. I could not however do it for $40 like I did my rat rod flat black. If I were to do a shiny job, I suspect I would spend 250 to 300 on paint and sealer and clear to get a result that would truly make me happy and it would never have the durability that I could get out of a professional paint system.
In the near future, I will be doing what I consider a “correct” paint job and will share it all here.
William
The Beast Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79327
93 MX-3 BP+T all kinds of fast stuff
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
Will Thomas

Re: Will Thomas' 93 MX-3 BPT Exhaust and Spark Plugs

Post by Will Thomas »

Well, I am back from vacation and I needed to do a couple things to get her back on the road. The day before I left, I went out for a ride and about 10 miles from home as I was crossing a bridge, an exhaust clamp scraped a raised lip of asphalt and my exhaust was separated just behind the resonator. I turned around and headed home, but noticed what seemed to be a spark plug fouling under boost. I parked the car and went on vacation and thought nothing more of it.
Fast forward two weeks and this morning I set out to fix the issues. First thing was to put the exhaust back together and that was fairly straight forward. I went for a quick spin and immediately noticed the issue with the plug. I removed all the plugs and the only thing I noticed was that the gap on one was much smaller so I cleaned them up, re gapped the one plug and put them back in. Now, it ran fine so I went down to the auto parts store and got some NGK platinums just a tad cooler than stock, checked the gaps and screwed them in. Much better now. Idle is smoother and she pulls better under boost.
Up next is to replace the passenger side front knuckle and install the disk brake rear subframe from Sleeper6's parts car. Also, while I was under the car, I noticed that the bushings at the shifter/linkage connection are shot and this is where my shifter play is coming from. I am going to order a short throw shifter and was thinking B&M. Anyone reading this have experience with the B&M, or is there something else better? After these items comes the fun stuff as I will be MegaSquirting her. I am going to opt not to do a PNP because my current harness is spliced up with the AEM FIC wiring and I want to remove it complete with the two computers and wideband and sell it all as a turnkey setup for someone wanting to turbo a BP.
Stay tuned, more to come this week.
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
mx3matt

Re: Will Thomas' 93 MX-3 BPT Exhaust repair and spark plugs

Post by mx3matt »

for short shifter i went twm and i'm more then happy, you can even stick with the stock shifter and just use their shifter bushings at the shifter and 3rd link.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Bushing are bronzoil, brand new last year. Just need to be tightened up probably
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

If you can source a pacesetter adjustable shifter that's the best one you can get IMO. Problem is you can't really buy them anywhere anymore.

I'm not sure if you can use the bronzoil bushings with the B&M. For some reason I'm thinking you can't (I had one at one point).
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Mooneggs wrote:If you can source a pacesetter adjustable shifter that's the best one you can get IMO. Problem is you can't really buy them anywhere anymore.

I'm not sure if you can use the bronzoil bushings with the B&M. For some reason I'm thinking you can't (I had one at one point).
robmihas had a tough time but i'm pretty sure he got it work, not positive on this but he'll probably see this and reply later
Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

nos92mx3 wrote:Bushing are bronzoil, brand new last year. Just need to be tightened up probably

The connection between the shift lever and linkage is tight in that the bolt and nut are tight. It could be that the bolt is the wrong diameter allowing all the play.

I did check out the TWM and it comes with the bolt and all bushings. It's more expensive than the B&M, but looks to be more complete.

I will put it on the lift tomorrow and see what's up with the bolt. Maybe it just needs a thicker bolt.
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

TWM IS MUCH BETTER QUALITY THEN MOST, AND IS IT THE MORE COMPLETE OF THE SHIFTER KITS ON THE MARKET.
Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

mx3matt wrote:TWM IS MUCH BETTER QUALITY THEN MOST, AND IS IT THE MORE COMPLETE OF THE SHIFTER KITS ON THE MARKET.

I like their shiftknobs also. Pricy, but sweet. I will go with the TWM unit, but will have to forego the knob due to budget restraints. After all, one of the type R in black pearl is 25% of my megasquirt...lol. I'll order it up tomorrow and bring the camera with me to work when I install it.
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I've got a B&M shifter with corksport bushings, I had some trouble getting everything to line up for the bolt that attaches the linkage and the shifter but that was probably from my retardedness. It's really nice and I enjoy it, I have yet to have any problems with it.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Will Thomas

Re: Will Thomas' 93 MX-3 BPT TWM shifter install

Post by Will Thomas »

I ordered the TWM shifter on the 18th and I got an email from UPS saying they dropped the package off at 11AM this morning. I rushed home to grab it and went back to work. I forgot my camera and for some reason, my flash doesn't work on my phone. Needless to say, it's a very easy install. Just follow the supplied instructions. TWM claims a 50% decrease in throw. In my case, it feels more like 75%. I love it and plan on adding a weighted shift knob soon. I just have a hard time paying $100+ for something I can turn out on my lathe with a piece of scrap stainless.
I am putting the money away for the MS EMS and hope to have the components ordered in the next two or three weeks.

I will keep you posted
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm enjoying your worklog.
I have a TWM shifter with bearings instead of bushings, and it has been great. I haven't used another short shifter, but I'm very happy with it. I made a short knob, which made the throw even less. It's only about 1" above the console.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I love the PaceSetter adjustable, but the bushings suck. :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

fowljesse wrote:I'm enjoying your worklog.
I have a TWM shifter with bearings instead of bushings, and it has been great. I haven't used another short shifter, but I'm very happy with it. I made a short knob, which made the throw even less. It's only about 1" above the console.

I saw where you were making the knobs. I have a factory knob on it right now and the height is pretty good. The throws must be insanely short with it that low. :D
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”