Charlie's no budget mid engine build: *Codename:BlakBishop*

Off-Topic Discussions
marcdh

Re: What's the highest performance FWD Mazda product out the

Post by marcdh »

wytbishop wrote:
marcdh wrote: What's pre-prag anyway? :P

Pre-preg is CF fabric that has been pre-impregnated with heat activated resin. It is kept frozen by the manufacturer, but these days with newer resins that are only activated under heated pressure it has a shelf life of around 12 months at room temp. Even though you're not buying your own resin it is quite a bit more expensive than wet layup and can only be properly cured in an autoclave.
Haha thanks but was just ribbing Ryan for the spelling :lol: Pre-preg/pre-prAg... You can make your own pre-preg so to speak, check it out on youtube, but yea you're still going to need the autoclave to use it correctly. Over here we have a shop called http://carbonmods.co.uk/ which is great for starting off. You've probably seen their instructional videos online already, if not check them out.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
wytbishop

Re: Charlie's no budget mid engine build

Post by wytbishop »

doing a little quick conversion between yards and meters and GBP and USD...CF fabric is almost 20% more expensive over there than it is here.
:shock:
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

There's a surprise... :lol: I imported 6x1m of it a few years ago from the USA for that reason.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm trying to find it, but several years ago, there was a guy who was making his own CF parts in his garage for his fox body mustang. He was doing hood, doors and was even going to do the roof I believe. Sadly I can't seem to find it, guess it's been that long ago. I'll keep on trying to find it for ya.

In looking for it, I've found other similar projects, may give you some good info

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30257
(pics are gone, but there's still some good info posted)
http://forums.corral.net/forums/lounge/ ... oject.html
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Man I've read so many CF threads on so many forums in the past 3 weeks I can't even remember half of it. The volume of educational resources available out there is staggering. I was brousing Demonoid looking for books on composite manufacturing and found a torrent from some engineering student or other who digitized his entire library of engineering literature and uploaded it. Racecar suspension design and chassis textbooks. A bunch of materials engineering texts...some of which are well over my head.

I saw a wicked how to on a Mustang forum of a guy making CF doors for his mustang dragster. he molded the skin and then made a two part mold of the inner structure. Very very helpful.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Did you read about that all-aluminum Shelby Cobra? You'd love the suspension design on it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Well Charlie I have to say so far you've definitely covered your bases regarding composite work. I wonder if you searched your area you might find a shop that wouldn't mind letting you use their facilities for an honourable mention some where on your car and on the internet? Have you looked into kevlar at all. That stuff is difficult to work with but man it's strong when your done. I bloodied both my hands (blisters) cutting the stuff then I heard of water jets. Anyway I'll be watching your progress, you definitely have your work cut out for you. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have read a bit about adding a layer of Kevlar for added toughness and abrasion resistance. Pagani has a new weave CF that includes strandes of Titanium. I have read that the tensile strength is through the roof.

I have to keep in mind that I am very very early in the process. I still have a tonne to learn and lots of design work left to do.

I do appreciate all of your input.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I had a quick look at their website yesterday. I had never seen or heard of this car before. It's pretty cool. A little too shiney for my taste, but cool.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by ethand »

that car looks.... :throwup: It just looks wrong... Considering its a 'no expense spared' car, seems like they skimped a little on the design, and it doesn't even have any mesh in the grilles...? looks munted. I'm sure it drives well, though... haha

As for your design, Charlie... Do this one!
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

ethand wrote:As for your design, Charlie... Do this one!
Not even close. But thanks for the input.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

:(

Ok, here's Charlie's project with the 'moonfinish'. Better?

Last edited by Daninski on January 6th, 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Not funny.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ethand wrote:and it doesn't even have any mesh in the grilles...?
Grills typically look tacky, no matter the car, but also depends on how it's done, but sometimes it's a protection thing, I know I can get them for the 8 to protect the oil coolers, but to consider mesh as part of the styling is, IMO, most of the time not nice looking. The only mesh my MX-3 had was in the small section of the bumper right under the hood, and it was painted black with a touch of teal to make it less conspicous.

Return to “Off-Topic”