Project O-Ren - Now road worthy!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Beccabob593
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KF with blown head gasket

Post by Beccabob593 »

My boyfriend is going to measure the bore just in case. This car needs a lot of things before I get it running. Hahaha.
Beccabob593

Post by Beccabob593 »

So the bore is 78 mm. Its a KF. Time to email that guy back for a quote for custom copper gaskets. Anyone need a pair of new k8 head gaskets?
JeremyP

Post by JeremyP »

this doesnt look like much fun, but hey, im in the same boat as you..i ordered A k8 ze from tjdm in toronto ontario, and got a KF ze...im assuming your car is running on KF engine block/ internals, but on a k8 intake, injectors, throttle body, and ecu. all of which im in the process of changing over right now. funny thing i noticed was stamp on the KF block said K801. you should try www.torontojdm.com for any parts you may need for it...might be cheaper to ship from canada then japan..in your interested in a little project...i have a KF intake manifold, tb, and injectors...its a start.
94' KF-ZE, 2 Tone black and gray, Projectors and altezzas ( black ), CAI, moulded mazdaspeed mini sides. Raised spoiler.
Beccabob593

Post by Beccabob593 »

Yeah I am already in need of a new crank pulley. I haven't looked at the injectors but I know I have a k8 throttle body. I had to clean it because it was covered in oil.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I was going to say... I don't recognize those pistons.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Beccabob593

Post by Beccabob593 »

Shoot it wouldn't have surprised me if those pistons were from a honda civic. Thats how messed up this poor car is. The power steering fluid looks like thousand island dressing. None of the bolts were torqued and alot of them have been rounded off. It is very frustraiting. I feel so bad for my car. Also there is oil all in the intake manifold and throttle body. How does that happen? I need to make a worklog.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Beccabob593 wrote: I need to make a worklog.
Great idea. And, at the risk of sounding repetitive,l I think, right now, you need to stop and think if it wouldn't make sense, economically (as well as from a reliability standpoint), to swap the whole engine.

For example, you said some head bolts were rounded off. Are the threads on the block in good shape? Remember the block is aluminum... :shrug:

I would do a more thorough disassembly, to see which other parts may need replacing, before starting to sink money on an engine that's not for the local market. That way, depending on what you may need, you can decide what the best course of action is.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Oil gets in the throttle body and intake from a oil burning motor.. all the oil smoke goes out the exhaust.. all the exhaust travels through the intake manifold. and if you have head studs rounded off and all that other stuff i just read. KLZE!!!!! youd save urself a whole wack of cash and youd be 2x as fast. http://www.bestofjdm.com/category-s/155.htm this is where i ordered mine.. A++++ check my work log... my ZE came SOOOO CLEAN it was amazing.
Beccabob593

Post by Beccabob593 »

The main reason why I am so frustraited is because the owner just treated this car like crap. It is such a nice car and deserves the best. I am going to get a quote for the gaskets and go from there. So far those are the only issues we can find. I got this car to just work on as a hobby. I don't have to rush getting it done because I don't need a car.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

ohhhh its a project. then why not just change the motor ladyy. be a lot more fun and a way better out come.. and alot easier to find parts in the long run.
Beccabob593

Post by Beccabob593 »

Well I love a good challenge which I know some people on here think it is a waste of time and money to spend on a k8 or kf when you can get a kl for waay less. I understand this and how much more power the kl has and all that jazz. I am not ruling it out. I just want to fiddle with this engine first.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You get the oil in the intake from excessive piston ring wear. The excess blowby is pushed through the PCV valve (quickly killing it and all replacements just as quick) and then bungs up the throttle body and manifold. A catch can will patch the problem, but you probably need a ring job.

I'm with the rest of them, junk it. Parts are hard enough to find for K8's and KL's, nevermind a KF, which is aobut 1000x as rare in North America.

Is there oil sitting on the valve faces? If yes, you also have a valve guide clearance issue and need to press in new guides and likely replace the valves as well. Sure a guide is only like $3, but with 24 valves it adds up.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Beccabob593

Post by Beccabob593 »

No the valves look fine. The timing belt didn't line up though. All I know is that O-Ren is going to be sitting for a bit so I can make some decisions.
Beccabob593

Post by Beccabob593 »

I should say she will be sitting while I get a pricelist of things I need and save up for it. I am going to let my bf fiddle with it. I forget that is the whole reason why I got this car. So me an him can work on it together. Imma breathe. I will have a worklog up shortly. Im going to call it Project B&E.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Well I love a good challenge which I know some people on here think it is a waste of time and money to spend on a k8 or kf when you can get a kl for waay less. I understand this and how much more power the kl has and all that jazz. I am not ruling it out. I just want to fiddle with this engine first.

yah i hear you there. good idea though. rip apart the motor you have. learn how everything works. all these motors r pretty much the same. maybe a few little differences. but honestly. if i was you id go ZE its alot easier to find parts. alot more people have parts for them just laying around.. Then! keep the kf since your so inlove with it. get yourself a engine stand build the motor out of the car and just go off the chain with it. no slackin. then ud have your self a gorgeous motor for future use.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”