Ze failed missions testing (Still Failing, Help Please)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Ze failed missions testing

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I may pull things out of my a--, but I don't talk out of my a-- :P

When it comes to my car stuff, I'm fairly organized and try to document everything.

Nah, you made me have to take out my external 3.5" external drive (1tb frommy old desktop, which I haven't been able to use or being with me since being in the army) that was tucked away in my second laptop bad thankyoueverymuch :P
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Like you have anything better to do. :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daninski wrote:Like you have anything better to do. :P
Of course not, I'm in the military! :P
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
carizle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by carizle »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Daninski wrote:Like you have anything better to do. :P
Of course not, I'm in the military! :P
Ha I know how that goes! Four years and if we weren't deployed or in the field it was loooonnnng days of sitting in the shop till 5-er-I mean "1700" and trying not to fall asleep...
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

i finally got around to throwing on the oem exhaust with my larger magnaflow cat. i also just threw in a bottle of that guaranteed to pass stuff and filled the tank with some chevron 89. o2 sensors are in the mail but it doesnt look like ill get them for another week or two. im thinking of going in for another try on monday and see how the it goes.

does anyone know what kind of gas i should use? almost everyone i talk too says to use high octane, but iv read a couple threads on the net saying that its better to use lower octane fuel. something about the octane rating being more related to the speed at which the fuel burns (higher octane = slower burn) and if the car isnt designed for higher octane fuels the excess fuel that isnt burned is basically dumped down the exhaust raising hydrocarbon emissions.

i also found this statement
I had gutted the cat in my 91 Jeep Wrangler. Some one suggested I put Dry Gas (water remover/anit-freeze)in the tank. I put 3 bottles in the tank and it passed better than it did the first time with the cat, when it was new. I had my old emmision test to prove it. I have a friend that worked at a different emmision place, I showed him the test and told me he had never seen numbers so low.
has anyone tried this dry gas stuff? im going to see how it does as is then ill try some "tricks" with the new o2s, im just curious on everyones opinions on what octane gas i should use?

P.S. oem catback is horrible, very noticeable difference in power going from 2.5" catback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mazda manuals apparently list using 91-equalavent octane gas (Jap uses a different rating than here in North America). It' a high-compression motor. I never ran anything lower than 91, I tried to run 94 religiously.

The higher the octane level, the more the fuel resists igniting when compressed. The higher the compression, the higher octane fuel is required so that it doesn't pre-detonate under the compression cycle, causing pinging or worse, detonation.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Mazda manuals apparently list using 91-equalavent octane gas (Jap uses a different rating than here in North America). It' a high-compression motor. I never ran anything lower than 91, I tried to run 94 religiously.

The higher the octane level, the more the fuel resists igniting when compressed. The higher the compression, the higher octane fuel is required so that it doesn't pre-detonate under the compression cycle, causing pinging or worse, detonation.
good to know. ill be sure to run 91+ from now on... any negative effects i should look out for with this 89 octane? assuming my knock sensor is working properly, the ecu should retard timing and prevent damage if pinging occurs? the car actually has 1/2 tank of 91 and half a tank of 89 so we'll call it 90 and it should be ok (fingers crossed)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeinaus wrote:any negative effects i should look out for with this 89 octane? assuming my knock sensor is working properly, the ecu should retard timing and prevent damage if pinging occurs?
It'll retard the timing to prevent damage (really should only be a major issue when pushed hard) but if your ECU had to retard the timing, you'll fail your e-test since it's not combusting properly.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

91 in Japan is 87 in North America so don't let the manuals fool you. I've been running 87 since my swap without any issues so don't waste your money!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:91 in Japan is 87 in North America so don't let the manuals fool you. I've been running 87 since my swap without any issues so don't waste your money!
Japan uses a RON octane rating system, while North America uses AKI, which is (RON+MON)/2).

The recommend ZE fuel isn't 91RON, but as far as my memory serves, was about 98RON, which people would think they need race gas in their Mx-3 since in North America the best we got at the pumps is 94, but 98RON is about 92AKI, so about 91-92 Octane.

Every motor is different. Mazda's new SkyActiv is going to be 14:1 and designed to run on 87. Some cars are smart enough to get a powerboost when running high-octane. I can't remember exactly off hand, but my buddy's old Accord gained about 20hp if he ran hi-octane. The S2000 is 11:1 and requires "91 AKI / 95 RON (98 RON recommended)" <- As quoted.

The generic math of Octane vs Compression doesn't apply that generally to all motors because, as I sad, the design make a significant difference, but it's a really good guideline. I would honestly say that they're rating the octane level required a tad too high, but it's just a mathematical guideline.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Pre-detonation can be caused by using to low an octane rated fuel (and not having or a bad anti knock sensor) OR carbon build up on the pistons (SeaFoam :D ). I find using high octane fuel on the hwy greatly increases the mileage I get so I think the cost is off set by increased mileage. Igor you spend too much time p*ss assing around town to know any better. :P
On the issue of adding alcohol to your fuel be carefull. Too much can cause burned valves. Gas line antifreeze is only a few ounces, when you get up to liters of alcohol in your fuel your asking for trouble. Acetone is what some people swear by for passing emmisions and improving gas mileage but then again we're only talking a few ounces per tank. The in house expert on this is that Fowljesse guy. :D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Stfu old man, you spend too much time at 8,000RPM and forget there's no more gears after 5th! :twisted:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Owweeeee, that hurt and sorry I'm just a 6 speed wannabe. :lol: That has to be some kind of retort record. I barely just posted that and you came back all most immediately. :P
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

so... i failed again :(.

things i tried:
new oil/filter
bigger 2.25" cat
smaller oem after cat-back
new disty cap/rotor
"guaranteed to pass"
fuel anti freeze

my hc went from 192 to 251, leading me to believe theres still a bunch of that guaranteed to pass s--- in my gas. the bottle says to goto an almost empty tank (minimum 250k). i went 250k then filled up and i had only used 25l of gas so the tank wasnt very close to being empty. the cat was extremely hot if anyone is thinking that, i went for a 2 hour drive on the highway and after i filled up with gas i idled at 2500rpm at every red light and while waiting 2 minutes in line.

im gonna use up all the gas in the tank and try going back when my o2s arrive. ill rig up both of my cats in line and if that wont pass it i dont think anything will.

can a cat go bad without being clogged? the cat i used this time is from an exhaust i had made around a year ago, which passed on my k8 with a working egr.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

im still failing... lastest test was with and produced the worst results:
2 new o2 sensors (one sensor is throwing the heater code 15 randomly, would that cause hih CO?)
2 high flow cats inline
new cap/rotor/wires
oil/filter change
high octane/low octane gas at different tests
1 gallon of coleman camping fuel
"guaranteed to pass"
stock exhaust piping

ive taken the test a total of 4 times so far. each time my HC emissions were about the same with a low of 192 and a high of 266. my first 2 tests i passed the CO by a fair bit (.50/.53) but for my last 2 tests my CO has gone up by almost 6 times to a failing grade (2.92/2.42).

aircares website says high CO is caused by incomplete combustion. with my rotor/cap and wires all being new wtf would be causing the fuel to not burn? car is running great and i havnt noticed any lack of power, other then throwing on the stock exhaust. Solo_Ryder (cars previous owner) says the spark plugs are newer and shouldnt be a problem.

as for the HC, nothing i have done to the car has had any kind of improvement in the readings. am i just car retarded or shouldn't the things i have tried lowered my emissions not raised them...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”