when putting car in gear, idle goes up in rpm??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

Re: when putting car in gear, idle goes up in rpm??

Post by wytbishop »

Now that would be interesting. Stick a 93' ECU in there and see if it goes away.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

What's interesting to me is that dyno testing of unconventional mods is considered a waste, but buying a '93 ECU to replace a perfectly functional '92 ECU for the sole purpose of testing a slight RPM quirk isn't...

I say this because I'm getting rather frustrated with some general attitudes about mods... Nobody seems to care at all about learning something new. It's always "ZE it, bolt this on, bolt that on, go fast and don't ever find out how or why"

There's nothing wrong with using a ZE, and there's nothing wrong with using a DE. Headers and high flow filter are almost always beneficial, so that's a no brainer. As for other ideas being shot down just because they haven't been done by EVERYBODY else, that's just ignorant to me.

I'll continue to answer people's questions when I have an answer, and I'll continue to do it without trying to force my opinions on them. I'm able to answer questions about things I would never in a million years do to my car... and I can do it without saying "Do this, it's better because everyone else has done it a million times already and we know it has X results."
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

wytbishop wrote:Check again and tell me....does the RPM change when you depress the clutch...or not until you put it in gear?

If nothing happens until you select a gear that is a total mystery to me. There is no sensor or mechanical device of any kind that senses the position of the gear shift lever or the shift shaft inside the tranny.
thats not true. On the transmission, there is a plug which connects to the main wiring harness on the V6. Could this be a 92-93 kind of thing?? Maybe OBDII cars dont raise idle.

Anyway, that plug is probably what lets it know when to raise the idle.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

MrMazda92 wrote:What's interesting to me is that dyno testing of unconventional mods is considered a waste, but buying a '93 ECU to replace a perfectly functional '92 ECU for the sole purpose of testing a slight RPM quirk isn't...

I say this because I'm getting rather frustrated with some general attitudes about mods... Nobody seems to care at all about learning something new. It's always "ZE it, bolt this on, bolt that on, go fast and don't ever find out how or why"

There's nothing wrong with using a ZE, and there's nothing wrong with using a DE. Headers and high flow filter are almost always beneficial, so that's a no brainer. As for other ideas being shot down just because they haven't been done by EVERYBODY else, that's just ignorant to me.

I'll continue to answer people's questions when I have an answer, and I'll continue to do it without trying to force my opinions on them. I'm able to answer questions about things I would never in a million years do to my car... and I can do it without saying "Do this, it's better because everyone else has done it a million times already and we know it has X results."

I agree. I picked the 1.8 cause other than it being a cheaper engine swap, I like having a 1.8 v6 under the hood more thinking its more reliable.
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

MrMazda92 wrote:
wytbishop wrote:The little allen screw is the throttle stop. It's just there to prevent the butterfly from slamming closed against the throttle body. back it off, close the throttle and then screw the stop in until it contacts the throttle linkage and moves it just slightly. The butterfly should still be fully closed, but resting on the stop not the housing of the TB.

Then adjust your throttle cable so that it is slightly loose. You should be able to deflect the exposed part of the cable about 1/2-3/4" without affecting the idle. Any tighter than that and it will prevent the throttle from closing fully.

Do that first...then adjust the TPS using feeler gauges and a multi meter, then adjust the idle.
wyt, I did these in this order and had an issue.

After I was done, a CEL tripped. I haven't had one on this car before, but the code was 12(TPS). I re-did the process per Daninski's instructions in one of his posts, and the CEL still goes off. Is there a special process to clear the codes on here, or does fixing the issue clear the code? Thanks.

I had this too. If you back the throttle screw off a bit (while in mid timing mode) it will go away. But now, when u start the car up when its warm, you'll get an incredibly low idle.

I just have had this happen to me a few times this month.
mikeetown
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

MrMazda92 wrote:What's interesting to me is that dyno testing of unconventional mods is considered a waste, but buying a '93 ECU to replace a perfectly functional '92 ECU for the sole purpose of testing a slight RPM quirk isn't...

Woah, what's this all about? I already explained to you the idle thing is because it's a 92. That's the why. I wouldn't replace the ECU either. That's just how they are, nothing wrong with it. Plain and simple.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:

Woah, what's this all about? I already explained to you the idle thing is because it's a 92. That's the why. I wouldn't replace the ECU either. That's just how they are, nothing wrong with it. Plain and simple.
It wasn't targeted at you, nor any individual. It was a general statement about something that greatly bothers me, people are anti-research on here; Preferring to stick with conventional or "tried and true" methods, and being utterly against anything new... It should remind the older members of something.

NOBODY BELIEVED THE 2.5L SWAP WAS A DIRECT SWAP!!!

There were trailblazers that ignored the bulls---, ignored the assumptions, and made it happen.

Where would we all be if they hadn't done this?

This being said, you guys can give your opinions without trying to force them on somebody, or make them feel like an idiot.

I can not count the number of posts I have seen, where this was the entirety of a post: "Too much work, just ZE it."

Seriously everyone, the KLZE is a great option... Try telling people the cost/benefits of a ZE as opposed to what they're planning, if you even know their plans. Do it without trying to build their car for them.

We all say it sometimes, and I know we've all read it, but you all need to THINK about it.

Mods are up to the owner of the car, because it's his/her car. Let them build it as they wish, advise but don't dictate.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

If someone comes on here with a decent concept of the engrish language, speaks like they know their way around a wrench, and has done some research, I'd give more thought to their topics than "ZE it"

Now, if you get cool man Bitchen'_BKitt_dude69 on here with his terrible grammar, stupid ideas, and generally insulting-to-the-name-of-humanity level intelligence, yeah, I'll say ZE it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan, I haven't seen many examples of you telling someone to "do it because it's easy".
Also, your work logs are testament of the fact that you'll do it right, despite what's "easiest".

I don't see this 100% of the time, but I have seen several new-ish members post 10 or 20 things and then stop due to overly harsh criticism, or their ideas being trashed on without explaining their error. People don't join a forum because they know everything there is to know about their chosen topic. They join to learn, to advance themselves, and to connect with people who share common interests.

I've suggested stupid things repeatedly, and I have on occasion received advice or criticism that I didn't feel was constructive or even remotely helpful. I've even been foolish enough to dish it out before. I'm pretty tolerant of it personally, but not everybody is. There are so many people out there that are afraid to ask a question because they might sound like an idiot... They wouldn't be afraid of that if they weren't treated like an idiot.

I just don't feel we should be treating people poorly just because we're more knowledgeable than they are. If anything, we OWE them an explanation if we're going to crap on their ideas.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Ive been s--- on on this forum before. Once because i was still learning about mx-3's. 2, because I was too poor to DE it. 3, becuase i dont spend all my loving time on my mx-3. I shy'ed away fro a couple months but I realized after that the guys shitting on me can eat there own s--- cause in the end, its my car.

So i swapped a 1.8 k8-ze in anyway cause it suits my everyday needs. I have tons of fun driving mountain passes and roads in Kelowna B.C. canada revving to 7500rpm.
mikeetown
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mikeetown wrote:Ive been s--- on on this forum before. Once because i was still learning about mx-3's. 2, because I was too poor to DE it. 3, becuase i dont spend all my loving time on my mx-3. I shy'ed away fro a couple months but I realized after that the guys shitting on me can eat there own s--- cause in the end, its my car.

So i swapped a 1.8 k8-ze in anyway cause it suits my everyday needs. I have tons of fun driving mountain passes and roads in Kelowna B.C. canada revving to 7500rpm.
I respect that wholeheartedly. I just wish more people would shrug it off, so many new members just fade away and sell their cars. People complain about the old members leaving... and the crowd thinning, while they help thin it. I don't get it -.-
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

See... I've been around long enough, not as long as many of the other members... but I remember threads like this:

goosenberrier:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=neon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm having issues organizing my thoughts, or even remembering why that thread is relevant to this topic, something about new members needing to be put in the place a little, to realize they don't know anything and to buckle down and use their brain before they ask a question, or get an attitude.

But you get guys like this, who I wholeheartedly respect:

electric conversion: brilliant guy, gotta love it.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... conversion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fiero: sounds a little redneck, but at least he's got a brain
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=fiero" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there are other examples...

Just trying to compare and contrast, why some of our members lose patience prematurely, and all at the same time why we shouldn't...

I was shot down when I was new(er) too. I asked why we couldn't put KLZE cams into B6's. Duh, anyone?

I try to be nice for the most part, but some people really push my buttons... cough, goosen, cough hack wheeze...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”