Spyder/ carpart4u write-up NOW with HID!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Spyder/ carpart4u write-up NOW with HID!

Post by Mnemonic »

onlytrueromeo wrote:I also hate being blinded by other drivers and I don't want to do the same to others. HID's normally have a warmup, right? How long do the HID's take to warm up when you turn them on? Did you mind the 6000k color?
Mine take about 5 seconds in the lexus
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I didn't get the HID kit that ray was offering. I want either a 4300 or a 5000k kit. I've found some on ebay that look nice for around $50-75. I would LOVE HID's but only want them if I can keep the Lows and Highs on at the same time, that way I don't have to keep turning off the HID bulb, and wait for the warmup period. Any news on how we think this can be accomplished?

How much of a difference would there be upgrading from a 35w ballast to a 50 watt ballast? Would it be extremely overkill, and would I render all incoming drivers blind?
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:I didn't get the HID kit that ray was offering. I want either a 4300 or a 5000k kit. I've found some on ebay that look nice for around $50-75. I would LOVE HID's but only want them if I can keep the Lows and Highs on at the same time, that way I don't have to keep turning off the HID bulb, and wait for the warmup period. Any news on how we think this can be accomplished?

How much of a difference would there be upgrading from a 35w ballast to a 50 watt ballast? Would it be extremely overkill, and would I render all incoming drivers blind?
to keep the bulbs always on, you're looking for a bi-xenon solution... that would require all new housings, wiring, actuated shutters... that's a big no-go
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It would be awesome if they had a movable cut-off. They are plenty bright!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

ninjajim4 wrote:
onlytrueromeo wrote:I didn't get the HID kit that ray was offering. I want either a 4300 or a 5000k kit. I've found some on ebay that look nice for around $50-75. I would LOVE HID's but only want them if I can keep the Lows and Highs on at the same time, that way I don't have to keep turning off the HID bulb, and wait for the warmup period. Any news on how we think this can be accomplished?

to keep the bulbs always on, you're looking for a bi-xenon solution... that would require all new housings, wiring, actuated shutters... that's a big no-go

No, the bulbs are wired separately...one turns on for high, and another for low...you should be able to keep them both on at the same time, I just don't want to screw up the current draw and burn them out. I want to be able to supply power to both at the same time - do they require the same 12v supply, or is there a different line for high/low? (Basically in the stock system, are high/low connected to the same system w/ just a switch, or are they separate?)
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

Jesse, thank you! your guide was straightforward and really made installing these really simple.

I got some pics last night to celebrate:

1992 MX-3 GS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2607936
1995 Honda Del Sol (Current Main until KL-ZE Swap):
http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20662
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

Nice, I like those lights in your bumper air dam... sweet!
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit
andrewlcraft

Post by andrewlcraft »

There seems to be a lot of confusion about how to keep the high beams on with the lows. It's the same concept whether you're talking about keeping the halogen highs on with the HID low on these new projectors, or if you're wiring up a bi-xenon solenoid in an OEM projector retrofit. Hell, with stock headlamps you could keep both filaments of the stock 9004 bulb burning if you wanted to. You just need a simple relay. We're going to reference this picture, even though it's not the best example:
Terminal 5 labeled 12v power is going to be tapped into our high beam wire, which should be a red/white wire at the bulb connector, at least it is on my '94. When you turn on your highbeams, you have 12v at that wire. Terminal 3 in the picture should go straight to ground(ignore the switch in the picture). When you have 12v on terminal 5, and terminal 3 is grounded, you energize that coil you see in the picture. When that coil is energized, it will close the switch you see between terminals 1 and 2 you see on the other side of the relay. Terminal 1 should be 12v directly from the battery. Terminal 2 is going to tap into our low beam power wire, red/green on my '94. So in summary, when you turn on your highbeams, the relay sends 12v back into the low beam power wire, keeping them on at anytime the high beams are on. This diagram is on the body of pretty much any generic relay you can find, although the terminal #'s will be different. You can perform the necessary wire taps right at the bulb connector to keep things clear and easy.

I'm doing a bi-xenon projector retrofit on my MX, and currently have one side wired this way, and it works great. On my wife's Pontiac, she has seperate bulbs for low and high, with an HID kit in the lows. I wired a relay just like this to keep the lows on all the time, since the warm up period is distracting when switching from high back to low. That's all there is to it!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

YES! Thanks! I knew it was simple but I didn't want to experiment and fry something by overdrawing power because I don't have alot of electronics experience w/ anything bigger than toy cars or walkie talkies!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

NorCalMX3 wrote:Jesse, thank you! your guide was straightforward and really made installing these really simple.
You're welcome. They look AWESOME with your setup! Everything's just a hint of blue.
I just got my 2nd set, and can't wait to make projector/ halo foglights out of the Civic set!
Thank you, andrewlcraft for the schematic! I'm going to try that, too.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
andrewlcraft

Post by andrewlcraft »

fowljesse wrote: You're welcome. They look AWESOME with your setup! Everything's just a hint of blue.
I just got my 2nd set, and can't wait to make projector/ halo foglights out of the Civic set!
Thank you, andrewlcraft for the schematic! I'm going to try that, too.
onlytrueromeo wrote: YES! Thanks! I knew it was simple but I didn't want to experiment and fry something by overdrawing power because I don't have alot of electronics experience w/ anything bigger than toy cars or walkie talkies!
No prob guys. I'm definitely a visual learner, and once I was able to see it laid out like that, it made everything a lot easier!

Good luck on the projector fog lights. I've got a little projector fog lamp out of a set of ebay Integra headlamps, but I was only able to salvage one side before the dumpster at work got picked up. It's a good quality little projector, perfect for a set of custom fogs. I've been tempted to pick up a set of those lights just to get another one, but it's hard to justify the money. :shrug:
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

Why don't you get a set of something like these, and slap them on ur bumper for fog or driving lights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAR-BL ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

that diagram is key. I always keep a few of those relays on hand. I actually just wired my work van headlights like that this afternoon, I wanted more light at night when I throw my highs on. It was also a dry run for when my projectors show up.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Jutzi420 wrote:that diagram is key. I always keep a few of those relays on hand. I actually just wired my work van headlights like that this afternoon, I wanted more light at night when I throw my highs on. It was also a dry run for when my projectors show up.
Just to let you know, that's illegal assuming you have a dual-filament bulb, you'll get a nice fine if a cop sees that.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Naw, my van is 9005/9006.

I was kinda wondering about how legal it'd be. Do cars with factory HIDs and separate highs leave the HIDs on with the High beam?

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”