ganue (daughter and sons) 1993 MX-3 GS-SE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
ganue
Supporting Member

Re: ganue (and sons) 1993 MX-3 GS-SE

Post by ganue »

OK - update - the KLZE came today and it looks really good - curved neck, KL31-1A1 on heads and look under the valve cover!!!

And the final assembly (sort of) with the LSD transmission:

The rusty mounts look awful....luckily the car is in better shape the what the mounts indicate....

OK - for all of those following this story, the LSD I received has the CORRECT splines for our cars. So that issue is avoided.

More to follow after this weekend...and to see all the pix so far go here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33771555@N ... 762633636/
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Motor looks minty! Looks alot like mine did. It will run nice, hopefully the LSD works out, PM me if you got sometime with what you did to get it to work!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That's the cleanest used JDM engine I've ever seen. Congratulations. Where did you source the LSD tranny? What did you pay for it?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Waited patiently on eBay until the right combination popped up and did an engine and trans deal from http://jdmenginescorp.com/. Took a risk on the LSD but it looks like it'll be fine.

This is NOT a plug for them yet until the engine is in the car running but so far all looks really good....both engine and trans are really clean. They did not come from the same vehicle. The clutch that came on the trans was barely worn. Assuming it wasn't replaced it was a real low mileage application - both the engine (obviously from the pix) and the trans.

Two little issues:

1) Anyone know of an easy way to lock the engine from turning so we can get the timing belt exposed and swap the engine mount located behind the timing belt cover?? We have the trans mounted already so we don't have access to the flywheel bolts. [UPDATE - 6/6/2009 - SOLVED we used an air wrench to take off the crank pully and a steering wheel puller. Crank pulley needed to come off to get access to the engine mount that is bolted to the block behind the timing cover. We swapped the K8 mount wuth the ZE mount]
2) I'd like to use the 110A alternator but I've got three pins on the K8 90A alternator low current connector and the ZE 110A has a three pin. I don't mind splicing the harness together but there is an extra control line. [edit June 29 - did the reccomended upgrade in the wiring and the alternator is working great. Just ran an ignition feed from the fuel injection relay in the relay box located underhood. Easy splice and clean up]
Last edited by ganue on June 29th, 2009, 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

To lock the crankshaft install 2 of the flywheel bolts and use a long bar to brace the crank against your engine stand. Just don't jump on it and it'll be fine. If you're not mounted on a stand you can install a third bellhousing bolt to brace the bar against.

The third wire to the 110A alt is a 12+ve for the Regulator. There is a write up in the V6 FAQ. Millenia Alternator Swap Pt1 and ZE 110A Alternator Wiring
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Perfect answers....thanks for finding the post...wouldn't have had the luck to find it....will find an ignition feed to run to the new alternator....

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

They're in the FAQ section. There's a lot of cool stuff in there...worth browsing.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Just wanted to document (so far) what is generally missing from everyone's ZE installation list (reminder - We have a curved neck ZE from an automatic trans installation, LSD trans, and a KL36 ECU):

1) The engine mount behind the timing belt cover from the K8 needs to be transferred to the ZE (remember I've got a curved neck one so this may not apply to all ZEs). The ZE one can be made to work but the threads on the fasteners are not low enough to tighten the nuts and I wasn't willing to take the risk of the mount not being in the exact vertical orientation as the K8. This was a pain because I had no plans on removing the timing cover due to the low mileage on the engine received. It was fun - I can't imagine replacing a timing belt with the engine IN the car.
2) Reverse location of the knock sensor (grey connector with orange inside - NOT the crankshaft position sensor) - need to remove the IM to do this - thanks to wytbishop to point this out. Again, a pain but very useful. Love getting those nuts out of the V6 valley when the fall - because you WILL drop them.
3) Unique to us was that the P/S pump pulley was plastic (cost save??) and cracked. The K8 had a metal one that we used, thankfully.
4) We decided to use the "new" power steering pump and the "new" alternator. We need to do the ignition wire FAQ steps as the alternator is the same as the Milllenia mod (thank again wytbishop). Just needed to swap the P/S pressure switch wire from the K8 to the ZE.
5) Swapped the coolant temp gauge wire from the K8 to the ZE so it would mate easier to the K8 harness
6) Reused the K8 fuel supply fitting to the fuel rail and removed the ZE extensions for the supply and return lines. Was able to use the return line form the ZE once the extension was removed.
7) For the vacuum brake booster was able to use a vacuum port on the driver's side part of the IM and swapped the rubber cap from driver's to passenger side.
8) Found an oil plug to fit the EGR port on the OBX rear header pipe - EGR is not on the ZE.
9) Cruise control went to a capped vacuum line on the driver's side of the IM.
10) No mods to the existing wiring - however we had to remove the harness tape, a metal mount, and a 90 degree plastic bend to allow the O2 sensor wiring to separate from the take-out for the two VRIS solenoid connectors. This added about 8" of length to the O2 sensor relative to the VRIS connectors - long enough to connect to the rear O2 sensor with no mods.
11) Throttle position and injector connectors went right on.

A note - I got a 6 port disty on this engine so the coil is integrated. While the unit looks different than the K8, the connections are compatible [update - no they are not - went back to the K8 disty to get it running - go here to see a comparison of the OBD-II ZE disty compared to the K8 OBD-I - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70342!!].

Also bought new outer tie rod ends and new halfshafts. For now, we'll reuse the intermediate shaft and bearing from the passenger side halfshaft -seems like you can't find a replacement for that...[update - to see how I resolved connecting the LSD to halfshafts go here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=70010

So, it looks like the only remaining required purchase is an exhaust system aft of the Probe GT Y-pipe....I guess the neighbors will have to wait a couple weeks for that - he he.....

[update: added a custom 2.5" exhaust - resonator where the cat is supposed to go (its just a test pipe, right?) and used one Mustang muffler - plan and result is a stealthy exhaust for cruising with significant presence during "spirited" driving]
Last edited by ganue on January 19th, 2014, 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

From my disty post:

OK - swapped to the K8 distributor and it started!!! After we warmed it up and checked all fluids we did a little run up to 5500 rpm:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33771555@N ... hotostream

So, what remains is to do a little work on the halfsharts as the splines are not as long as are needed for the trans. So, it sounds great, but no halfshafts yet.

So, to answer those following the transmission issue, splines from our US spec halfshafts are cut the same but appear to be about 5mm shorter than required to properly seat in the side gears of the differential.

We'll work on that later....I've learned to stop on a good note...so we did. Than it rained. A lot. See?

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

More on the K8 vs. ZE distributor:

OK - comparing the two there is a clear firing order change to the ZE compared to the K8. That said, we wired everything up according to the numbers on the K8 cap. Runs great. But should it.....We think that we need to revers 5 and 6 to correspond to the firing order of the ZE, not the K8.

K8 firing order (if you go by the distributor cap): 1,2,3,5,4,6 [edit - I was wrong here...there's a trick - see below]
ZE firing order (again, referring to the disty cap): 1,2,3,6,4,5

We'll swap and see what happens....report coming up...
Last edited by ganue on June 9th, 2009, 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Whats the serial number on the ZE disty. looks kinda like mine.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

OK - looked at some old posts and looked CAREFULLY at the inside of both the K8 and ZE distributor.

K8 distributor: Plug wire 5 is actually connected to a sort of bus bar that locates it between 4 and 6 maintaining the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 firing order.

ZE distributor: Plug wire 6 is connected to a bus bar that locates it between 5 and 1, again, maintaining the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 firing order.

So...all is right in the land of logic afterall.....

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That is clearly shown in the ZE disty wiring thread of mine. I"m just sayin'.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

A few pictures of the car in it's now "daily driver" state - >1,000 miles on ZE upgrade as of now:

Have the stock wheels too, but we like the Borbets....

The reason we are pretty much all here.....

As artsy as I can get with a camera.....

And what happens on the day that one GS-SE transfers from one of "us" to another one of "us"....

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

3 SE's?!?!?!?! You, are, god.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”