Mind boggling car trouble

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Have you considered it might not be something to do with spark?

honestly, my vehicle would do something of the sort because the fuel switch itself was shot and would either not turn on when I cranked it, or turn off randomly while driving down the road.

it was a loud switch, so you could hear it turn off. Just click! and I would be on the side of the road.

Just saying, if your spark is sparking, maybe it's time to consider another possibility?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
JCS

Re: Mind boggling car trouble

Post by JCS »

I'm open to anything right now. I'm not set the spark being a problem, but I wouldn't think the fuel would be an issue due to the fact that the vehicle doesn't bog at all. If it were fuel related, I would think it would bog/stutter or something of the sort.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

JCS, I missed any previous posts as to what has been done to the car completely.
Has the engine been rebuilt? ever overheated? shaved head?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
JCS

Post by JCS »

Engine hasn't had anything done to it. It's in stock form with the exception of a cd player that was in it when I got the car, and a GM HEI module swap that I did. The only other things i've done to it is general maintenance, new main relay, and new alternator.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

If it's the fuel switch, it won't bog. It'll drive, drive, drive... then die.

I've also heard of some temperature related issues? If someone can add to this, I believe someone was saying there was a sensor or something that if it's malfunctioning, it won't start? I know that's vague, but I remember someone saying something about that

Is your CAS in working condition as well? I've not had a faulty one, so I don't know the symptoms, but I know it won't start if it's bad :S
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
JCS

Post by JCS »

I'm glad you mentioned something about heat related issues, because I forgot to state that I did replace the coolant temp sensor awhile back. I guess I could look into replacing the fuel switch if it's not too much. All the help and ideas from everyone is much appreciated so keep it comin'.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Make sure there isn't any gunk or anything preventing a good ground for that sensor. Clean it up.

A faulty sensor will send the computer the incorrect temperature information, affecting the spark....

...Or so I'm told. I think it's good practice to keep everything clean anyways.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
JCS

Post by JCS »

I checked it all. Everything is clean enough to eat off of, no gunk build-up or anything. I'm at my wits end here so I just scheduled an appointment tomorrow at the dealership to have them run diagnostics on it. I'll post back tomorrow with an update, and hopefully a solution.
JCS

Post by JCS »

Apparently there was something wrong with one of the wires running to the coil. I've driven it maybe 10 - 15 miles so far and haven't had any issues, so we'll see. I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet because it started another time just fine and I drove it about 10 miles before it started acting up again. I'll post again in a couple days after i've driven it some more.
JCS

Post by JCS »

200 miles driven so far, give or take, with no problems. Guess i'll just suck it up and deal with the fact that, like an idiot, I overlooked something simple. Happens to the best of us, right?
Infinit GQ

Post by Infinit GQ »

So, for those of you that have a Crank but not start, no fuel no spark issue...check the relay mounted on the passenger side of the ECU, it just might be the problem.
could anyone provide a picture of where exactly to find the main engine relay?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”