Waterpump questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

When I filled the car up with water...the coolant system was bone dry.
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Bone dry meaning you didn't see any water under the radiator cap, or you pulled the lower hose and drained everything? The radiator and block still can hold over a gallon without being high enough to see any under the radiator cap. The system will eat up two gallons of water if it really is 'bone dry'.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

What happens if you fill the resevior tank above the full line. I basically filled it to the top of the tank by accident.
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

JYOUNYA1 wrote:What happens if you fill the resevior tank above the full line. I basically filled it to the top of the tank by accident.
A) You don't fill coolant at the resevoir tank.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

When I had the problem I filled the radiator with tap water, and since the resevior tank was empty I filled it with tap water as well...the next day the resvior tank was empty so I filled it with Antifreeze/Coolant, not the radiator. I filled the coolant resevior to the full mark, and checked it 30 minutes after driving, and the resevior was empty....so this time I filled it to the top. I just wanted to know what happens when you fill the res. tank to the top with a full coolant system...and what is the normal activity regarding Resevior tank...like why would it be empty, why would it be full?Thanks

~Jay
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you overfill the resevoir tank, then some will push out the overfill tube into your engine bay. No harm.

If your overflow is being sucked dry every time you drive, I'd guess you've got a leak somewhere.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

where is the overflow tube....there was antifreeze all over the passenger side on the bottom of the engine bay.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

JYOUNYA1 wrote:where is the overflow tube....there was antifreeze all over the passenger side on the bottom of the engine bay.
The overflow tube is attached to the overflow resivoir. If it's leaking on the passenger side, it's probably your water pump. Sorry.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Crap...Oh well I was gonna replace it anyway.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

ok, a new problem. Not only do I believe that coolant fluid is leaking from my passenger side (water pump, no doubt), but monday I was going to a Bobcats game and on the way I had down shift to 2nd going around a curve and when I pressed the gas nothing happen, no acceleration no nothing, then all of a sudden I could control the accelration, then a minute later it went completely out, and I couldnt start it. The next day I checked the spark plugs...all good...check the wires, and the 5th ordered wire housing had oil all in it, but not on the spark plug. Bad thing is I put the spark plugs back in, snapped on the wires, and tried to crank, and nothing...I pulled off the oil covered wire and the inside broke off onto the spark plug, and I cannot take the spark plug out, cause of a plastic peice completely to be to get a around to get to the bolt part of the spark plug...My car needs help bad...the engine compartment is so frail that the little plastic clamps break everytime I reach in somewhere. Do you guys think a tune up, waterpump & timing belts change will fix these.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Get some long needle nosed pliers to get into the plug hole and pull the boot off. Get some new plug wires. Sounds like those were on the way out anyways if they pulled apart. You can get some Bosch or something at Autozone. Lifetime warranty means you can trade them in for new ones every time you tune your car up.

Sounds like you'll also need a new valve cover gasket for whichever side of the engine is leaking oil onto your plug hole.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Thanks...I definitly need to keep up the maintenance on my MX, if I want to get it looking and running the way I want. It may take a couple of weeks to get all these things changed as well. Thanks alot...some other things I need...I need a V6 full intake, from the throttlebody to the filter, I know I have to keep the springy thing with the sensor (the VAC, VAF what ever it is)...I bought my strut bar cheap ($26), and I don't think it is doing anything, can anyone suggest a good front strut bar...and I also need a new exhaust, preferably from the headers to the muffler, but If some can suggest a good catback....right now I have a Pace Shetter, and I really dont like it....thats all folks, thanks for you responses, have a merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanza, and all other holidays...

~Jay
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Something else to consider is that your car cut in and out of power. This would not be just the result of loss of spark on one cylinder. You may have a vac leak. I wouold take a look at the intake of your engine and thoroughly check the piping between your TB and VAF as it may have a crack in it.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

ok I found out it was the distributor, slapped a new one in and vvvrrrrrooooommmm!!!!!!! The waterpump is the next challenge. I have purchased the new waterpump, and camshaft seal. My belts (serpentine, and timing) are still in great condition...so I wont change them. My problem is getting to the pump...(questions) 1.) is it ok to support the engine from underneath using an extra car jack, when unbolting the passenger side engine mount. 2.) (Custommx3 may have already typed this to me) But is it neccesary to take off the timing belt in order to remove the water pump? 3.) With the radiator empty and the engine drained of coolant, once the waterpump is removed, do I have to worry about engine oil, or coolant leaking somewhere it shouldn't? 4.) How do bleed the air out of the coolant system once the new pump is installed?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

1) Yes. I do it all the time. As long as the other three mounts are on, the jack will not be holding up that much weight. Maybe 50-75 lbs of pressure.

2) No, but it does make it easier.

3) A little more coolant will probably spill out when you pop the pump off. Not enough to drown you or anything though. Keep a roll of papertowls by your side and you're good.

4) Every time you start the engine cold, pop the passenger side radiator cap and make sure to top all the way off with water. After a few times, no bubbles should be present.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”