ATTENTION ALL ONTARIO RESIDENTS

Off-Topic Discussions
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

One three car pile up on black ice that i couldn't have done anything about over 3 years ago and nothing else on the record and i'm still paying $2600 for liability alone. you bet i'm in on this. let me know how i can help.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

jschrauwen wrote:Do you actually believe that public insurance (provincial) is actually going to be cheaper than public insurance. My previous post as to what happened in BC should be proof enough that the Ontario government is not going to get into the insurance business. In my mind, the heart of the matter lies between the insurance companies collectively. Meaning just like when we see one gas station put up their price, the surrounding stations follow suit. More often, it's usually a few of these stations that set the price. The same can be said with insurance. There are are couple of big players out there that basically set the pace or benchmark and the rest follow suit. They have a name for this - collusion. Prove this, and you've openned up a real can of worms. Prove this and a lot of these insurance giants may come tumbling down. Think your lawyer can go toe to toe with these insurance company lawyers on those grounds.
Don't get me wrong, no claimed accidents in 30 years and 2 minor tickets in last 15 years and my rates still suck. Would I like cheaper rates - of course. I also like to fight the good fight.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to get the government into the insurance business. I just want the government to step in and end the discrimination. If the insurance companies don't like the new rules and wont abide by them, or threatens to cancel or refuse policies, then I believe they should lose their privilige to insure the public. All I'm asking for is an even starting point between males and females. Collusion will be next to impossible to prove. Unless they can be linked through brokerages.

For the record, I do not want to go straight to court with this. I, with the help of everyone I can gather together, want to go through the political process. If that fails then the courts would be plan B.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

mazdubber wrote: If the insurance companies don't like the new rules and wont abide by them, or threatens to cancel or refuse policies, then I believe they should lose their privilige to insure the public.
Insurance companies already refuse to give policies on modded cars. Even having rims and an exhaust some insurance companies wont insure you. It sucks but the government isnt doing anything about it. I know tons of car guys, sport compact and muscle car drivers alike that had trouble finding an insurance company to insure their car
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Perhaps a bit of good news. Those in the GTA area may have heard on MOJO radio that the insurance businesses had a boom year last year. Last years PROFITS for Ontario insurance companies totalled over 4.2 billion. This, along with registered complaints and allegations reported to the Consumer Association of Ontario has prompted to have the Provincial Government review this situation. The report went on to say that "we" should see a change in our policy this year to address both issues (huge corporate profits and improper business practices.
So, possibly some good news. This should not stop those who were of a mind to actively persue their case. In fact, now we see that the best forum to collate these individual cases is the Consumer Association of Ontario.
http://www.insurance-canada.ca/consinfo ... uminfo.php
Hope this helps.
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Okay guys, sorry I havn't updated lately but I've been trying to do much more research to figure this stuff out. I have found a very cool owner of a performance brake company who is spearheading a change in insurance for modified vehicle owners and weekend racers who fear the big bad insurance companies. His idea is to educate the insurance companies about responsible enthusiasts with the power of as many voices as he can get.

For those of use with highly modified or older cars where comprehensive coverage isn't necessary, there is a Co-op style acount that allows for liability coverage only. I'll let you all figure out the rest.

http://www.solocanada.ca/modules/news/a ... ?storyid=8
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Honnestly, I can't complain about my insurance...my rate are comparibly quite low, and I'm only 24, I guess Driving School (Aapex) and a perfect record helps, but still, i should technically still be considered a risk being unser 25. Although I'm hoping to see my insurance drop another 10% in May when it gets renewed. The only thing that worries me is my vehicle modifications, people having their insurance drop cause of performance upgrades, or I've even heard storied about people being dropped cause they have a bodykit. Why don't they just void anyone's insurance with fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror :roll:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Isn't anybody interested in this? There is so much possibility here. As far as the discrimination stuff goes, I'm in contact with the Consumer Association of Ontario. The insurance industry made $4.2 BILLION last year. The biggest chunk of that was on our young male backs!
92 GS
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I dont mind my insurance policy. I could pay more but I dont. Besides if you take on the insurance company they may end up charging you more in the end because of different premiums. They may become anal about cars being stock or if you have 2 at fault accidents they will drop your policy. They do have the right to drop your policy at any time for any reason. There is no law saying the insurance company must insure you. Your ideal outcome isnt a bad idea but this is a big business and they WILL find loopholes around anything you change. remember you may have a lawyer working for you but they have many
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Yeah i agree. There is loopholes everywhere and they will find them. Im paying over 4 grand for collision alone. sucks for me
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

BIG NEWS! A scarborough M.P.P. has introduced a new bill that would guarantee the same prices for males and females for the same product or service. If this bill is passed it would have to include insurance. I think it's called the Private Members Bill. So get to your local M.P.P. and show your support for the bill to get passed!!!
92 GS
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

That just means that the females rates will get jacked up to what the males are paying currently.... LOL
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

yeah man I wouldnt look at it as the insurance dropping our rates but raising the female rate.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

[quote="mazdubber"](From me)
The next day he called back just as he said he would. He then gave me a
quote for about $2200 for a six month period. I was very content with that
and left him with my Ontario drivers license number in order to go through
with the offer. The next day I received a call from the same broker. He
told me that he made a mistake with my quote. (I immediately thought that
he had left a ticket out or something) When I asked what the mistake was he
told me that he had entered me in as a female instead of a male. He then
told me it was going to be $1000 dollars more to insure me!
quote]

$540.00/month to insure a 21yr old male with a 'sports coupe' in GTA with your record is reasonable. Why? You guys down in Toronto all drive like idiots. I swear i come so close to getting in an accident everytime i go down there.....cause you guys are all so damn impatient.
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

quicksliver wrote:$540.00/month to insure a 21yr old male with a 'sports coupe' in GTA with your record is reasonable. Why? You guys down in Toronto all drive like idiots. I swear i come so close to getting in an accident everytime i go down there.....cause you guys are all so damn impatient.
Quicksilver,

Why do you have to be such an arrogant person all the time? More and more i notice your posts being negative and degrading to people on this board. There are nicer ways to voice your opinion and nto generalize everyone into one category.
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Well, i wish i'd seen this thread earlier. I'm always up for fighting for cheaper insurance rates. And here's a little story that might raise an eyebrow or two.. i bought my first car (91 toyota corolla 4door) when I was 20 (almost 7 years ago), and i paid about $850/yr for liability and theft. I thought that was pretty sweet, considering i was 20, and it was my first car :D . Anyway, one day my car got keyed down both sides. I called the insurance company and they sent an adjuster to look at it about a week later. At this point, no monies have been spent to fix the car. About two weeks after the adjuster came, still nothing had been done, and lucky me gets t-boned by a girl who ran a stopsign. Car's now destroyed, and i guessed correctly that it would be written off. I called my insurance company, and told them that I wanted to withdraw the claim for vandalism, as nothing had been done with it, and now my car was wrecked. They said "sure!", and relatively promptly got everything in order, and soon i had a cheque from the girls insurance company for 7K.
Now here's the kicker.. when my insurance came up for renewal, my rates went from ~850/yr to 3100. WTF??? So i went and asked my rep why this happened, and he says that it was due to the frequency of my claims. Well, thats all well and good, and i would have agreed with it if:
1) They had actually paid out any money.
2) They were my fault.
3) They hadn't told me that they were withdrawing the vandalism claim.

I got to looking into the company, and it turns out that my rate hikes had nothing to do with my claims at all. They were trying to get rid of all their clients under 25 years of age. Eventually even my broker tried to go to bat for me, saying it was rediculous, and all he got back was "oh well, thats our decision. If he pays the rates he can stay, but we don't really want him as a customer."

I guess what I'm saying is that the insurance companies can blow me, and I'm in to get these practices done away with. :D
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!

Return to “Off-Topic”