Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Taras

Re: Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs

Post by Taras »

You know, this is arguing over nothing. Use whatever bulbs you want guys.

Curt, I tired to find a thread on Philips site for you that describes how Philips Vision Plus was designed and what makes it better. But they took it off the archives now. Funny.

As far as I remember, the improvements were due to higher quality components, more exact placement of filament, and more efficient filament that increased its luminance compared to others. Now, they say that Philips VP is a +50% bulb. Yes and no. +50% increase in brightenss was measured at a sertain point in the beam, not everywhere. Mind you E-code beams are pretty even in the low-beam setting. That increase was calculated only for H4 bulb and for the low beam setting. Hi-beam was +20%. And H7 bulb was only +20% in low beam. So here you go.

Sylvania Silverstar is a +30% bulb, and that is different that Osram Silverstar (E-code), with the latter being very similar to Philips VP.

But then again, +30% for what type of bulb and at what point in the beam. Being that DOT 9004/HB1 beams produce a distinct bright spot right in the middle of a single beam, I bet that is where the brightness would be calculated as being the highest. 9004/HB1 beam produces pitiful results as far as beam spread is concerned, so any increase to the side of the main spot would be beneficial.

Just to hypotheticallay compare: If I park my car with H4 headlights and regular GE/Philips/Osram/Narva, etc bulbs, they will produce better results at the horisontal extremities of the beam compared to a car with 9004/HB1 DOT headlights equipped with Sylvania Silverstars, but I bet that my car with H4 Philips Vision Plus (that I actually do own) would fair worse in the direct middle of the beam (hot-spot) than your 9004/HB1 DOT headlights with Sylvania Silverstars. Why? because DOT 9004 optics produce a very bright hot-spot as opposed to distributing the beam.

Sylvania Silverstar is a good bulb, but like anything coated to produce whiter light, it would suffer from decrease in output due to the coating. And that is what I think Aiden was trying to convey.

Comparisons are hard, because none of us owns a light meter. I think that a better comparison than a regular halogen bulb, would be a Philips Hi-vision, it is the same as Philips Premium found in ECE markets. It is also +30% bulb, so would be a better compared against Sylania Silvervision. Should be similar, but the colour of light for which you pay double.

:)
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
curtklze

Re: Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs

Post by curtklze »

Originally posted by Aiden:
This is my last post on this thread, then I've leaving. I don't give a **** anymore.

A normal halogen bulb with NO coating will perform better than the Sylvania Silverstar bulb that HAS a coating. When I say normal I mean the kind you can get at Canadian Tire, or anywhere else that are just NORMAL bulbs.

They're brighter since they don't have the coating, but they appear not to be because the coating on the Silverstar bulbs shifts the light spectrum more towards white and tricks your eyes into thinking they're brighter.

You CAN get ECE Silverstar bulbs here, but they're hard to find and no store will sell them. Only on the internet can you get them.

There really is no point to spending lots of money on Silverstar bulbs though with 9004 headlamps.

If people really want to have better lights, but don't want to spend the money and retro-fit in some quality OEM projectors, then I'd buy BRAND NEW lenses, clean out the inside of the housing, polish the chrome paint up, and put some regular bulbs back in there.

Curt, YOU may like the light that Silverstar bulbs put out. IF you do, great. Go for them then. They certainly do put out a whiter light, but there's less ACTUAL light being put out, and to me that's all I care about.

There, now good bye.
THANK YOU!!!!!! THATS ALL I WANTED.

a simple explanation of your view point, now everyone can understand what you were talking about.

You have a way of being a d ick and not explaining your self that makes your postes seem stuid and lacking in facts.

"there are better bulbs out there"

WOW what an insitefull post!

Thanks for finaly clearing up your first post and explaining your viewpoint.

If you just do that in the first place you would avoid all this cra p.

Now people can make an informed desision on what bulbs to buy and why one bulb may or maynot be better than another.

Im going HID N E way. :)
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”