B16 civic crx vs. me

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Kirill_na_PRESSO

Re: B16 civic crx vs. me

Post by Kirill_na_PRESSO »

Guys! How you measure 1/4 mile time? ^_^

P. S.: My girlfriend has got B16A1 stock CRX. Different human call it "cart with roof".
http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/114250.jpg

My father driving so much torque, the chassis twisted! © Fast & Furious
What

Re: B16 civic crx vs. me

Post by What »

Who cares about 1/4mile calculators and at the track, AWD and traction makes a much bigger difference than maadddd power. The most important thing about 1/4 mile racing for most of us will be off the light, and first 60ft. From there it's just no brain work transmission abuse between the gears. There is a lot of driver involved in the first bit, but there is a looot of car setup involved even more so... especially on light FWD cars.

Why does AWD make such a difference? You can show up with street tires, run 12s and barely squeak a tire. Getting moving in that first 60ft. makes a dramatic difference in times (they give stupid averages of .1 in 60ft. good for .2 in the 1/4mile). For a comparison example of two cars... my old AWD talon did 14.5@92mph, 60 ft. of 1.9s. My tractionless 1.3 litre Swift on lower boost ran a best ET of 14.4@97mph with a 60ft. of 2.4seconds. As I turned up the boost above 10psi, my trap speeds went over 100mph, but my times got slower.

Both cars probably ran the same amount of power at the wheels, yet at the track there was a whopping .1 sec of a difference despite 1200lb difference. In a street race, the Swift would have smacked the Talons *** like it was standing still. Why such a difference? The Swift was never set up for 1/4mile racing. The track in Calgary is known for slow cars, slow times, lack of traction (and at 3500ft.ASL). Looking at last years list of albertas 10 fastest street imports, 9 out of 10 were done at the track in Edmonton even though some were Calgary owned cars. Why babble about this? track, suspension set up, and even the track all play a role in addition to the driver. The guys who go out there and run 12s in a FWD never tell the whole story of what was on the car. But all of the quick ones will address lift and traction with their own little ways.... you don't just run 1.8s 60fts. in a FWD because of power.

Some of the best races I've had were vs. some turbo Hondas/Integras and out of all the races I've had, the Honda guys around here were by far the most respectful.. win or lose, even to a Swift. Hondas have beautiful chamber/port design and other plus areas, I wouldn't be knocking them or feel bad about being tied with a car that's been done right. Give respect where it's due.... a lot of projects on the road, and a lot of quick cars from different manufacturers.

As for Honda swaps- my friends H22a civic ran low 14s and close to 100mph as well (H22a or B16, they ARE heavier than 1800lbs). However, a lot of the B16s and such Civic swaps here at the track here in Calgary are only running mid 15s, some high 14s, and we have a lot of beat up Mustangs running low 15s or high 14s.

Seeing as I don't like bench racing... here's a vid of the Swift getting the win light on an SVT convertible Mustang with a guy I know from SoloII that is a good driver.

http://members.shaw.ca/beyondambient/images/swift_vs_mustang-2.wmv

Another vs. my buddies turbo Swift... I don't quite know what his excuse was... but his 2.9s 60fts. weren't helping his case for driver of the year award any. Sorry, no fart can sound from the cars.

http://members.shaw.ca/beyondambient/images/swift_vs_swift-1.wmv
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

This is Andrew's best run from the nightwars

89 HONDA CIVIC 12.865 @ 171.62kmph

The car runs full interior as to the motor no NOS and good head work
and exhaust.

I have seen a 2.2vtec stuffed into a crx lightened to the max and it
did him no good at all. Good to have power to weight but you got to
get it on the ground...
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The early CRX around 88 model did weigh around 1800lbs. Adding GSR cams, intake, and exhaus makes a BIG difference in the B16....not to mention the bone stock 8000rpm red line. The B16 can be reved to about 8500rpm on a stock valve train. With those mods it should be making roughly 180-200hp at the crank depending if it's the B16A1 or B16A2.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”