Turbo Piping

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
MX3ze@7psi

Re: Turbo Piping

Post by MX3ze@7psi »

I used 2" connecting from the stock 1.75" pipes connecting to a 2.25" at the Y and to the turbo. For the down pipe I used 2.25" because 2.5" is way too big to make room. Then I just flex piped the waste gate pipe from the exhaust flange. It ran pretty decent. It starts pulling around 3500 rpm. It depends on how big turbo is to find a location. I just used the IHI t-bird turbo. Its a little smaller to make more room but it has the same potetial as other T3's. It is very tight to do anything after it is in. I've got pics but haven't posted them yet.
MX3 KL-DE, probe/mx6 ebay turbo pipes, T3/T4 50 trim @ 8psi, millenia injectors, SAFC2, intercooled,Greddy RS BOV, turbonetic 38mm external wastegate. Wisco 9.5 forged piston, millenia S rods, and high performance rings coiming in soon. Shooting for 400whp this summer.
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I think someone misunderstood me, I'm using ONE (1) turbo...... I'm getting a Pipe bender.... It bends up to 2" piping......... Thats Why I'm asking about TWO(2) inch piping. I NEVER said twin turbos, just twin tubes (i'm refering to both sides of my block, v6).

Now in order to get the exhaust out quick, I'm using dual 2" pipes (Its only adding 10-20 more lbs over a 2 1/2" pipe, so the extra weight isn't that much)

So what you guys are saying is at the "Y" pipe into the turbo I should only go 2 1/2" pipe?
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

maybe i shouldn't have made the twin turbo comparison...i wasn't suggesting an attempt at a twin turbo setup...i was just making the point that there's no reason to have dual exhaust on a single turbo setup. 10-20 lbs is a pretty big chunk, not in comparison to the overall weight of the car of course, but keep in mind there's a lot of people out there that pay hundreds to drop that kind of weight (for instance titanium vs. stainless). how do you figure that you're going to get the exhaust out quicker with dual 2'' pipes? you guys have been talking about gas velocity -- what makes you think the velocity is going to be better on a single to dual setup than it would be on a larger single mandrel system? why would you pay more to have two pipes made when one does the job as well if not better for less weight? by the way i completely agree with josh. unless you are going to always run some rediculously low boost, or you just can't afford to get bigger, get 3" piping.
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

The reason for dual 2" exhaust is cuz I'm making it.... I'm not paying to have them made. If I were to go higher than 2" I'll have to pay to have the item made.

This is not for a drag race set up, I'm racing AutoX and don't need large amounts of HP, the most I'll wanna go is 200hp to the wheels. I'm guessing I'll only need a 75hp gain from the turbo, but anything else I can get will be great.

Return to “Forced Induction”