turbo for the 1.6 sohc?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
maldo

Re: turbo for the 1.6 sohc?

Post by maldo »

If you really only want 30whp of a gain then your clutch should be ok....for now. I only gave you that number because of the factory settings on many of the stock wastegates. These turbos are capable of much more.<P>You can use any fuel pump, RX-7 ones tend to be a bit pricey. The Pro LX injectors are only good for 184fwhp, about 150whp. If this is your goal than you will be fine with those injectors. If you want more, find a set of stock injectors from a North American GT/GTX, they are high impedance and can handle 264fwhp. I would recommend swapping to the Pro LX ecu since it will have a better fuel and ignition curve to help things out a bit. You will want a RR-FPR for those times when you are under boost. This is only really needed if going over 10psi on those turbos I mentioned. An Apex'i S-AFC will help tune the injectors, running the Pro LX ecu and GTX injectors will cause the motor to run a little rich. <P>Pick up an i/c off ebay, look for a Volvo or Saab unit, they offer a large surface area at a decent price. If you want a little better efficiency, go with one from a Starion. Any BOV will work, you may want to get a Bypass Valve so you don't run rich after each shift.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Well if I want to keep it reliable, I'll want to get a 8 psi boost so it's not a big hp gain.<P>So in that case:<BR>-Do I need to change the injectors?<BR>-What other fuel pump could I use?<BR>-Is the Apex'i S-AFC necessary?<BR>-Would I have to get the GTX manifold to a shop and have it modifyed or the few bolts that match will be ok?<BR>-What does fwhp stands for?<BR>-What is RR-FPR?<BR>-I'm still unsure about the turbo, you talked abou the one from old mx-6. Is that the best thing for me? You also said that the ones from old subarus would bolt on to the manifold, are they made by the same cie?<BR>-You also mentioned manifold from GT would bolt, what car are you talking about (is it the mx-6 GT?)?<P>Looks simplier than I thought, I guess the big problem is the cost and finding the parts.<BR>thanks!
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
maldo

Post by maldo »

You really need to do your own research. This stuff is available all over the net.<P>The GTX manifold is a bolt on piece, bolt on meaning it bolts on. There are a few holes that won't be filled by a bolt.<P>RR-FPR = Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator<BR>This is the only type of regulator that should be used on a boosted application.<P>GT, as in 323GT, as in the 2 wheel drive version of the 323GTR.<P>Fuel pump can be any fuel pump that is going to flow more than stock and still fit. IE) Eclipse, RX-7, even Mustang, etc.<P>S-AFC is a tuning tool, you make the decision as to whether or not you need it.<P>FWHP = Flywheel Horse Power<BR>This is in regards to what the injectors can handle. To get a baseline for Wheel Horse Power, subtract 15-20% for drivetrain lose. I gave you the 2 figures for the sets of injectors in question, you do the math and figure out which one will work for your application.<P>There is nothing other than the turbo from the MX-6GT that will bolt to the B6 series motor. They are completely different.<P>Please do some research.<BR>Go to my website, there are a lot of good links there for info.<P><A HREF="http://mx3rsr.tripod.ca" TARGET=_blank>MX3 RSR</A>
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Thanks!<P>2 last questions:<BR>-Do you know if the mx-6 turbo comes w/ the wastegate include in it?<BR>-Is there any major difference betwwen turbocharging the mx-3 SOHC and the DOHC?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
maldo

Post by maldo »

The wastegate is a part of the turbo, most factory spec turbos come with internal wastegates. This goes for any of the turbos that I have mentioned in this on going thread.<P>There really isn't much difference between turbocharging any 4,6,8 or 12 cylinder. As long as the proper fuel and ignition parameters are met, it is all done on the same basic principles. That being said, a turbo from a Cummins Diesel truck isn't going to work too well on a itty bitty 1.6L sohc. It will have great potential but that all depends on whether or not the sohc has enough exhaust gases to get it spinning.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

as for differences in block strength. there is a little bit of difference. the sohc block is derived from the 1.5l engine out of the old 323's. this block will handle a little less than the dohc engine. this is because the dohc is derived from the miata and turbo 323 which had bigger and stronger internals.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE

Return to “Forced Induction”