KLZE how much?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Trevor

Re: KLZE how much?

Post by Trevor »

Originally posted by synap:
quick question, has anyone done the ZE swap in a '96 mtx? I may be doing this for around 3g's. (i hope)
Your 96 is a 4 banger right? if it is u'll basically need a v6 for parts such as wiring harness, motor mounts, ect. I'd search for a BP or BPT if I were you
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Eggo:
quick question, has anyone done the ZE swap in a '96 mtx? I may be doing this for around 3g's. (i hope)
Your 96 is a 4 banger right?
Why would you assume that?
:shrug:
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
Your 96 is a 4 banger right?
Why would you assume that?
:shrug:
I assume this because I heard somewhere that 96 and above mx-3's in NA only came in 4 cyl models.

I could be wrong though
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

you COULD be wrong... :werd:

MX-3's came in 4 and 6 cylinder models during all its years of production. Just think about it, why would Mazda get rid of the V6 when it was the cooler model?
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I thought they got rid of the 6 in NA and made the GS package with the 4 cyl only
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Besides we all know the 1.8 ain't that Great of an engine thats why most of us are doing the ZE swap
synap
Supporting Member

Post by synap »

It's a V6. Talked to the shop today and they said getting the wiring/ecu/eng/maf should work. Just finding an eng with the maf is hard. Hope I can use the ze ecu and maf.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

What maf are you talking about, our car have a vaf. If you were to swap your harness to obd1 and use a klze ecu you already have the right vaf (called je-50). Our cars use the same vaf as a klze.
synap
Supporting Member

Post by synap »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
What maf are you talking about, our car have a vaf. If you were to swap your harness to obd1 and use a klze ecu you already have the right vaf (called je-50). Our cars use the same vaf as a klze.
I think the shop might be confused about the MAF/VAF the are similar. This is good news if I can get the wiring harness to obd1 and the ze ecu and keep my VAF! :) wee.. it's soo close!.... so i dont need a 2.5L VAF? just keep the stock K8 right? You guys rock.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

ok... the FUD alarm has gone off.

Production differences between USA and canada:
Canada:
RS 92-96
GS 92-96
(95/96 GSs are ODBII)
solid seatbelt mounts

USA:
RS: 92-96
GS: 92-94
motorized seatbelt mounts. There was a recall to put in the canadian solid mounts.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
I think the shop might be confused about the MAF/VAF the are similar. This is good news if I can get the wiring harness to obd1 and the ze ecu and keep my VAF! :) wee.. it's soo close!.... so i dont need a 2.5L VAF? just keep the stock K8 right? You guys rock.
I think it'd be a hell of alot easier to try the K8 ECU with KL02 VAF first. People with OBD1 cars seem to be able to use this combination OK. That's what I'm going to be using on my car first before I worry about another $200-$300 for another ECU. Save you having to do a wiring harness swap, and if your province does inspection with emissions, they might not pass you if you put an OBD1 computer in a car that's supposed to be OBD2. Not sure. I know in my state, they don't even do an actual emissions test when you take an OBD2 car into emissions. They just hook a computer up to it to make sure there are no codes. An OBD1 car wouldn't throw the right codes.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Originally posted by RoundTop:

Canada:
RS 92-96
GS 92-96
(95/96 GSs are ODBII)
solid seatbelt mounts

Are you sure 95 GS's are obd2? cause mine 95 is obd1.

<small>[ November 23, 2004, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: mxmaz ]</small>
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

All cars in North America are only OBDII If they were manufactured on or after Jan.1, 1996. In theory '96 model year MX-3 built and imported between 9/'95 and 12/31/'95 could still be OBDI.
Other differences in the Canuck MX-3 is all cars imported at rear wipers and Air bags were an option right to the end of '96. Also the '96 GS came with a 22mm rear anti-roll bar instead the 20mm as in previous years.

In the US there were no MX-3 in '96 and importation of the base model was discontinued in mid/late '95 due over stocks and poor sales. US models also had stiffer the stiffest of the three available OE springs rate in the front.
Originally posted by RoundTop:
ok... the FUD alarm has gone off.

Production differences between USA and canada:
Canada:
RS 92-96
GS 92-96
(95/96 GSs are ODBII)
solid seatbelt mounts

USA:
RS: 92-96
GS: 92-94
motorized seatbelt mounts. There was a recall to put in the canadian solid mounts.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

synap I think u can get a KL62 ecu to run the ZE and keep your stock wiring harness. I read on the board the KL62 is OBD2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

synap I think u can get a KL62 ecu to run the ZE and keep your stock wiring harness. I read on the board the KL62 is OBD2
If I wasn't so tired right now, I'd go slam my head into the god damned wall right now.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”