hey whats the top speed of a mx3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
azmtbkr81

Re: hey whats the top speed of a mx3

Post by azmtbkr81 »

MX-3s are pretty fast cars. I don't know if any of you have ever driven from Flagstaff to Phoenix but there is a HUGE hill that climbs a couple thousand feet in a few miles, the speed limit is 65 and most cars can't do much better than 55 up it and semis slow down to like 35, but the good old MX can haul *** at 85 up the hill in 4th gear, there have been very few cars that can hang with me. Our cars may not have the hp numbers going for us but they are so well engineered that they can outperform many other cars with more hp.
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
jdogsd1

Post by jdogsd1 »

well i first have to say that n e one saying that it is impossible to get a 4 cil mx3 to 120 is full of sh*t because i die it i was going down a hill but i did it. then i also have to agree with azmtbkr81 i live in san diego and have driven out to az and there r some nice hills to drive i love being able to drop it in to 4th and have instant power i just tend to pass people with ease.
:D
sep42

Post by sep42 »

sure as hell revs high though! going 120kph (75mph) it's 4000rpm in 5th gear!!
Kinda nice, but I wouldn't dare run it that fast for 3hrs or such, a roadtrip would require
:)
http://www.nerdinthebox.com <- cheap domains, web hosting and other network services.
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

S.N-don't worry, our cars are designed to go that fast for sustained periods, I have driven from Monterey, California to Phoenix which is like an 11 hr trip and rarely did I drop below 75, in fact I did 85-90 across the Mojave in Aug. ~105-110 degrees and the car was fine.
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
jdogsd1

Post by jdogsd1 »

nice job, i have takin mine on a few rode trips but never that far its nice to know that i could go that long :D
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MX-3 Ricer:
I have had my SOHC crusing down the freeway doing 135mph I didn't even notice it at first because it was running so smooth. My 1000watt amp reduces my topend about 12mph if i'm blasting it.<hr></blockquote><p>Whatever, dude- I think you are looking at the KPH- not MPH. :roll: <p>Vaughn, Jeff, Jeff, Barry?<p>Back me up?<p>Do you agree that its impossible for a SOHC or even a DOHC to go that fast on an open hwy?
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
jdogsd1

Post by jdogsd1 »

i have to agree that 135mph is pushung it but it is possible to get a SOHC up to 120
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cjthor:
Do a search for "top speed". It has been brougt up 3 or four times..I have been up to 134 in my modded dohc rs.<hr></blockquote><p>That's what I got in my bone stock GS. I stayed at 134 for about 5 mins trying to get that 135MPH mark, but never could quite get it. Plus I got scared of cops. I was goin thru Wyoming, so I dunno if I should have worried. The only cars I saw were the 2 trailers driving side by side that made me slow down and drive a steady 45MPH. That sh!t sucks after you've gone 89MPH faster.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
gutszi

Post by gutszi »

I got a stock rs, dohc, and I can't make it go faster than 163km/h, I was stuck at that for about 3 minutes, I tried down shifting and using 4th, but even that didn't help, and for all those who wanted to know in 4th, it was at about 6200rpm.<p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: gutszi ]</p>
gutszi
"the Stupid One"
MX-3 Ricer

Post by MX-3 Ricer »

Funny you say that atlantamx3 because i know someone that works for Borla and he trecked out a honda with a SOHC to just over 400hp, are you telling me that he can't go faster then 135mph. because he told me he can hit 180mph without a problem. By the way it was MPH not KPH I know how to read a speedo. And it has stock rims and tires to its not off either. Dont forget a SOHC is a little lighter then a DOHC. In reality anything is possible as long as you know what your doing and have the money to back it.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Well- with 400 HP you can do about anything. And the SOHC isnt THAT much lighter than the DOHC. <p>Well- not enough to make a difference anyway.<p>The guy in the post above said his was stock. <p>Sorry- 66.5 HP to the wheels (What I dynoed in my 1992 SOHC) will not get you to 135 MPH. Period. <p>And I doubt that that guy had much more to the wheels than I do.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

lazzie what your tire/wheel combo size and what tranny or final drive do u have? if its a stock gs tranny it should be limited to 135mph. i drove 135mph for about an hour and a half of 2 hours, driving to vegas from san bernardino on the 15 freeway. the rpm needle was in the red and the other needle pointed 135 so theres no way you could have gone more than 135mph on a stock trans and not hit the fuel or ignition cut.
sep42

Post by sep42 »

you must really hate your car to drive it 1.5hrs in redline at 135mph.. in the desert...
http://www.nerdinthebox.com <- cheap domains, web hosting and other network services.
Mx-3SHO

Post by Mx-3SHO »

Just a personal note on whats possible and whats impossible. A stock GS MX-3 can only do 152.46 Mph no mater how much hours power you have. The top speed is limited only by the gear ratios, power and drag. I got numbers of the gear ratios one the last download artical of a 92 GS in Car&Driver Aug. 91 which states that in fifth gear your mPh in creas 19.8mph for every 1000 rpm so at at 7700rpm you are going 152.46 (19.8X7.7) that is if theres no other facters such as drag. the only way to get it to go faster is incress rpms or change gear ratios. I personaly got my mx-3 to 120 on I-17 comeing from flagstaff and that was into a head wind.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Stock rims, stock tire sizes, downhill 140 on the speedo, drag sucks...,klze :)<p>[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: lazzyie ]</p>
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”