Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Re: UK Sam's 1.6 Turbo MX-3 project

Post by youdirtyfox »

Had a good look round the breakers this afternoon to pick up some spare indicators so I can pull them apart for the clear mod. and happened upon these floormats!

I guess these are genuine OE? the black V6 they were in had the stitched gear knob but the top look liked it had been chewed by a dog! so didnt bother getting that. While I was there I pulled apart some of the power steering pipe work of a 1600 to find out what pipe sizes I need for my alu. tank and also measured up for an alu. tank to replace to windscreen washer bottle :D

Also received my plastic headlight covers today!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I am so jelly of the headlight covers... if you happen to come across another set let me know :)
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

will do :D

Just completed the clear indicator mod. Garfy's guide here is spot on
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=52661

Just a couple of things I would like to add that I did, heres what I started with.
Rested the light in a jug so I could rotate it at the same time as heating it.
once heated I ran the knife along here a couple of times and once
I reached the tab just lifted the knife blade slightly to pop the tab
forward, unpop all the tabs and gently pull the cover forward, if you hear cracking stop and add more heat
removed the orange bucket and scrubbed the lense clean with soft cut and a bit of bleach.
ImageImageImage
chrome/amber bulb works great!
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

ade a nice little discovery here I thought I would share. Been looking for the right size bungs to delete the rear washer jet for a while now with no joy, happened to be looking at replacing the under bonnet soundproofing as mine is tired, and low and behold looking right at me where the the little panel poppers holding the thing in place. the head is so flush its great however the spigot (pin) is quite shy so with a little bit of silicon hose around it... voila

ImageImage

So im also going use them inplace of the bonnet jets and relocate them to the wiper cowling. I think ive also found a bung for the aerial base too! :D Now to figure out how to remove and aeriel then all the bungs can go off for painting along with the boot delock.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

All the plugs/bungs have gone now gone off to the painters, as im laid up for a few weeks now after a back op. ive been doing some virtual modding. :lol:

First of all Aaron's ducktail has inspired me to want something similar of my own, along these lines, using a wraparound as a base.

And I think im going to buy a fit these side skirts, and maybe try and intergrate the mini side skirts into them or make some aluminium ones instead if it doesnt work out.

As you can tell Im a little bored of not being able to do any modifying just yet, but give me a few weeks and I'll be back in the game with a new smooth roofline and bonnet and maybe a few other little bodybits
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

youdirtyfox wrote:First of all Aaron's ducktail has inspired me to want something similar of my own, along these lines, using a wraparound as a base.
I really like that idea, would definitely be a unique mod!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

I think its worth a try :D

So this morning I learnt you can't mount the washer jets in the wiper cowl!
they shoot way up to high right up over the roof onto the boot :lol:
Will have to sort out some kind of wiper spray bar now so I can delete the bonnet jets.

Took the oppurtunity though to change over the manky clear 4mm ID hose and replaced with the obligatory lime green silicon stuff, also put inline a one way check valve to keep the water at the jets, so theres no lag now from pressing the stalk to actually getting water onto the screen.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

youdirtyfox wrote:ISo this morning I learnt you can't mount the washer jets in the wiper cowl!
they shoot way up to high right up over the roof onto the boot :lol:
Will have to sort out some kind of wiper spray bar now so I can delete the bonnet jets.
I did that because of the CF hood. They still got part of the windshield, but I had also heard you can get ones that you can adjust by putting a small pin into the hole. It could also be easilly solved by using a type of angled spacer.

I did none of the above and pointed them to the sides to be able to spray people and other cars. :lol:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Our stock ones you can adjust with a pin...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

Here's a thought. Pontiac grand am's use a wiper mounted jet. :shrug:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

AaronTietje wrote:Here's a thought. Pontiac grand am's use a wiper mounted jet. :shrug:
+1 Thats what I use on mine, works great.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

+1 for squirting members of the general public!

the ones I tried to fit were directional with a pin adjustment, spacer adjustment defo needed, but you can get ones that are on a stalk that work used for 4x4 etcs.

I've plumped for a pair of these now though of the shelf in 18" & 22"
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

cracked on with some yellow tyre pen this morning for a F1 inspired look! :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Sleeper6 wrote:
AaronTietje wrote:Here's a thought. Pontiac grand am's use a wiper mounted jet. :shrug:
+1 Thats what I use on mine, works great.
Not a fan of how that looks. Looks, well, GM-ish, lol
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I have run without for like ever, in the winter I had to stop at the gas stations all the time just to clean the windshield... I would try and mount them in the wiper cowl myself. that is the way the rx8 is any ways, perhaps you might be able to adapt something like that over more easily.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”