Mooneggs 92 MX-3 Race Car IP - 2013 in Review

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Mooneggs 1992 mx-3 "race car" IP 4/11 RS Spoiler, Seats

Post by PATDIESEL »

Uber rare is right- I've been here quite some time and this was before me. I have been trying to find a company to make a set of these for years and not had any luck. I want basically a set of Miata guages in my MX-3 and this is what I've been looking for- lol. red backlights and chrome rings and viola- Miata guages...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Re: Mooneggs 1992 mx-3 "race car" IP 5/15 bigger strut bar

Post by Mooneggs »

So I went to Corksport a picked up a different model of rear strut bar. It's similar in design to the front (beefier, stiffer construction)... I won't know if it makes a difference until I drive it again and maybe it won't... but it certainly looks cooler 8)

I also picked up a new headgasket kit, battery relocation kit, and enough primer for another cote :P
Now I just need to get motivated to work on it... :welder:

oh and I got another 5 '94 5 spoke rims! cleaned them up with some hydrochloric acid 8)

Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I definatly dig the new strut bar, is their front one just as beefy? If so I might have to replace mine sometime in the future
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Sleeper6 wrote:is their front one just as beefy?
Yes. I had their beefy front ones in both of my cars, but the MazdaSpeed front strut bar blows theirs out of the water as far as weight, design and looks :)
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Mooneggs wrote:the MazdaSpeed front strut bar blows theirs out of the water as far as weight, design and looks :)
Damn right. Looks good, much more beefy. Those wheels came up well!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Mark,

Please expound on your HCl wheel cleaning technique. I am planning on doing something with my 94' 5 spokes and I need to get them supa dupa clean. Is the HCl widely available?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

wytbishop wrote:Mark,

Please expound on your HCl wheel cleaning technique. I am planning on doing something with my 94' 5 spokes and I need to get them supa dupa clean. Is the HCl widely available?
+1. I got some 5 spokes that need a good cleaning.

I used to work for a logging truck company and I had to do the owners Alcoa wheels once with this acid, you brush it on and leave it for abit then rinse off real good and the difference was nuts.. Give us some details on what you did
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Congratulations on the stuff! Your car is getting to rare to drive, anymore. We'll have to built a Lexan display case for it, or lease it to Jay Leno.
Do you want to sell your RS garnish?
Those rims turned our great!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

fowljesse wrote:Do you want to sell your RS garnish?
no I'd like to hold onto it until I actually use the CF hatch for racing... I may end up using the RS since it weighs practically nothing and the GS weighs like 7 pounds! If I ever decide to get rid of it you'll be the first to know! :wink:

As far as the technique for the hydrochloric acid, it's just as solo described...

Rinse the rims off
Put on some rubber gloves
Pour the hydrochloric acid into a spray bottle (I don't water it down at all)
Spray the rim down pretty good with it
Let it sit for a minute or so
Grab a dishwashing sponge and/or toothbrush and start scrubbing all over
Rinse with water
Flip the rim and follow the same process for the inside

I bought it from a local auto accessories store that sells some specialty cleaning products. It was like $17 for a gallon. Here is a link to the exact product:
http://www.pssales.com/products/wheel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's #N15

Pics of the jug:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have also learned that certain porcelain cleaners (toilet bowl cleaners) are 23% HCl solution. Any industrial cleaning supply place would sell it to you.

and just an FYI mixing HCl with Bleach causes the formation of the toxic gas Chlorine. So be careful.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I was retiling a small bathroom, and let a few days go by with the sticky stuff on the floor. When I went in to clean it off, there were maggots all over, so I poured bleach all over. It didn't melt them, so I poured HCl on, too, and got really sick, really fast. I was young, and learned the hard way. I almost passed out, and if I did, I probably would have died.
Just fyi...
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mxmikey
antispam: No

Post by mxmikey »

I know this is off topic and a few years late, but when you painted your car with spray paint, I think high gloss water based house paint works even better it's about $20 a gallon. With that all you need is to water it down, to thin it up, and put it through a paint gun. There is probably enough paint in their to do three or four cars. Here is a picture of a Mercury I painted with house paint.

93 GS/SE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

hmm interesting... I prefer no gloss though 8) I like mine with no shine!! :mrgreen: :freak:
mxmikey
antispam: No

Post by mxmikey »

haha different strokes for different folks i guess
93 GS/SE
RUST31

Post by RUST31 »

HAY WAS UP IM NEW HERE HOPE IM REPLYING TO THE CORRECT PERSON.WELL YOUR CAR LOOKS GOOD MAN NICE CARBON FIBER HATCH.IM WONDERING HOW DID YOU GET IT LIKE THAT WHAT YOU PUT? ALSO IM WONDERING ON THE B PILLA BAR I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE OF THOSE. ANY IDEAS WILL BE VARY APPRECIATED

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”