fowljesse's GS/SE DE/ZE ;)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: fowljesse's GS/SE DE/ZE ;)

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Yeah I hate to say it Jesse but I highly doubt it will pass emissions with your setup :?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:| :cry: :crying:

I will find a way.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I feel it is my duty in this forum is to put crazy ideas in your head. Jesse your problem is Gasoline, it is such a dirty fuel. Once a year (emission test day) treat your MX-3 to a much cleaner burning fuel(denatured alcohol).

1000HP cars with no catalytic converters or any emission control equipment can easily pass emissions running denatured alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Buy 1-2 quarts of denatured alcohol from your local hardware store (Home Depot)
2. Run your tank down anywhere from 1/4 tank to the E line.
3. Put the bottle of denatured alcohol into your tank.
4. Warm up the car and drive it immediately to your emissions place. (it will run like Sheot).
5. Pass emissions with flying colors
6. Either run down your tank or siphon out the rest of the fuel. (it is corrosive).
6. Fill up a with a FULL tank of dirty old gasoline to dilute any denatured alcohol that's left.
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Sweeet! Thanks for coming through with the info! I was thinking about running Coleman white gas, but I suppose this would be better.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I tried the Denatured Alcohol. I think it works better on Carbed cars :( I got a little closer, but still failed. Fortunately, I can go as many times as I want for free. I played with the fuel, and spark, and ran it at stoichiometric for denatured alcohol. I even advanced the timing, since the Alcohol is high octane. NO avail. CJthor and I welded up a 2.5 inch exhaust with a much bigger Cat. I'll try again tomorrow.
One thing I discovered in the process that was good; I lowered the idle, thinking that it would put out less emissions. It didn't, but the good thing is that I can idle at 500rpm, and it's smooth! Even with an AWR solid front mount, filled other mounts, and a torque strut :D
I haven't noticed a difference with the exhaust, but I think the velocity is about the same, or less, since I have the big Cat in, and it isn't wrapped, like the last one (yet), and I've been screwing with the maps for emissions.
I got the adjustable timing cams, so hopefully I can put the rest of the power adders in soon!
cout
antispam: No

Post by cout »

Did you remove your smog pump? If not, what's to prevent you from pumping EXTRA air into the exhaust?

(I don't know much about emissions, especially since I live in a state without emissions checks, but I always thought the manufacturers' claim that the pumps are designed to assist the catalytic converter to be a bit fishy)
1993 MX3 KLDE (formerly KLZE) 5spd LeMons car
KLZE 24 Hours of Lemons worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have no EGR, or smog pump.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I passed! All I needed was the right size C at, and some Acetone. Also, I forgot to check the spark plug gap when I bought new ones. They were at .04 so I opened them up to about .05. Tonight, I'm putting in the MSD 6A I got a while ago.
cout
antispam: No

Post by cout »

Congrats!

What are you going to do to celebrate?
1993 MX3 KLDE (formerly KLZE) 5spd LeMons car
KLZE 24 Hours of Lemons worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks! I'm going to drive without [as much] nervousness about being pulled over!
Also, I'm going to sell my stock GS :( It's not in celebration, but I need to sell some cars. It has been the most reliable car I've owned, and got me into this scene, which got me my fast car, and new friends.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

cout wrote:Congrats!

What are you going to do to celebrate?
Drink warm beer!! LOL
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That's how this whole thing started!
It's nothing but warm Champgne, now!
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Grats jesse! One day Ill drop off my gs so you can make a clone car for me 8)
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Are you sure you'd want that? :lol:
She ain't pretty, but she's quick!

Soon she'll be a rev-Monkey!
I can't imagine what she'll feel like when I put in:
Fidanza flywheel
Unorthodox underdrive pulley
Colt 210 cams

She'll rev like a Formula1 car 8)
The downside is that she's close to being hard to drive in traffic. She's already touchy with the throttle. In rush hour, I have to leave room in front of me, because she screams through first, even with me being very careful, and even with new Kumho Ecsta tires, and heavy 17" rims, she tries to spin the front tire. Soon, the LSD will help with that, but then I'll take off, instead of spinning. I'll probably have to use launch control daily :roll: Come to thinnk of it, the Colt cams are supposed to push the powerband higher, so that might help.
Like Borat, I am excite! :2thumbsup:
Jaik
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Jaik »

Great work all the way through, I read all 17 pages.
When I was building my jeep up I fabbed alot of my own parts so I give you extra credit for making everything yourself.
Well done.
92 GS, Blaze Red, Short throw, Altezza's, Eagle Alloys, Chipped = Fun times
Just bought it, can't wait to put time and money into it.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”