fowljesse's GS/SE DE/ZE ;)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
IMACHU2

Re: fowljesse's GS/ZE/DE/SE ; ) Edited 5/16/09

Post by IMACHU2 »

fowljesse wrote:Good find. That's the kind of out of the box thinking that could cause you to end up like me :?
Before I clicked the link, I was thinking of M/C helmets back in the day that were dimpled like that. Then I was thinking of the swimsuits they use in the Olympics. If you don't wear one, you don't win.
Thanks for the link!
I was watching Daily Planet, and "Fast Skinz" was on there. He had it stuck to racing Porche's. Pretty kool technolgy. It was improving lap times by seconds!! I remembered your build objectives, and though Jessie needs to do this!! :D
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: fowljesse's GS/ZE/DE/SE ; ) Edited 6/10/09

Post by fowljesse »

From what I remember, it's out of my price range, but I'm going to look into it again!

I went for a drive for the first time in about a year :shock: (lost my driver's license).
I drove my stock car on a great twisty road, and it was awesome.
Tonight, I drove this car for the first time, and it was awesomer :D Man, I forgot exactly how fun this car is.
I tuned it for power, and fuel economy, but am a little scared about the latter. I've got it running at 17.5:1 AFR ONLY when I'm at 60-65mph, and the manifold pressure is low. Otherwise it's at about 13.5:1. The car ran great, and smooth. I can hear the exhaust clearly, and since there's little restriction, I can easily hear misfires, and such. I run 93 octane, and it's about 45° out. I'm at about sea level.
BUT, 17.5:1 scares me. Does anyone know how lean I can get away with?
The car is smoother, and quieter than I remember :) However, I need to clean up some mold :x
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Yikes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Lean mixtures produce hotter combustion gases than does a stoichiometric mixture, so much so that pistons can melt as a result." :crying:

13.5 in a N/A performance car is where you want to be. My Mustang is running at that ratio and it still gets very good fuel milage.
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

On cruise w/ a healthy engine you can push past 13.5. I don't know if I'd want the A/F to be above 16 for long periods of time though...
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Stock ECU and the probinator KLZE chip sit at 14.7-15.3 on my car cruising. 13s are a good WOT AFR IMO, LOL at TLA
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, I know it can be dangerous, but I'm the knida guy that says "Hit me" when I've got 19 showing, and the dealer has 15 :lol: Wow, that came out like a crack deal, which is dangerous, too. I read from a PT guru that the DE ECU runs about 15.5:1 at cruise. I'm going to lower it, though. It's too scary :confused2: MS hasn't detected a knock, though.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

its not knock, its temperature...

and I vote you should change your WL title to "Fowljesse's GS/SE DE/ZE" because gs/se is the trim, and de/ze is motor
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Oh yeah. You're right. I'm thinking about getting an exhaust temp sensor.
I'll change the title, since that makes sense :)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: fowljesse's GS/SE DE/ZE ;)

Post by fowljesse »

I richened it up to a whopping 16:1. I just don't want to take a chance until I get an EGT sensor.

I've gone through 2 tanks of gas, 677 miles in the past 3 days, and got 30mpg. Now that doesn't sound awesome until you consider what kind of driving I've done in the last 3 days.
Long story short: FUN! However, there was some stop and go traffic, and city driving. That means I should get at least 35mph HWY :D
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Finally got around to reading this whole thing! 14 pages! Whew...
Interesting worklog, Jesse, some innovative ideas :)
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:) Thanks for reading.
There's a surprising lack of slim visors, huh?

Well me and Mooneggs made some progress today; He drove while I tuned. However, I didn't realize that my MegaSquirt doesn't read AFR past 15.7:1 for some reason, so I kept leaning it out. I hope I didn't hurt it :oops: I know I didn't. Now it stays at about 13.5:1 at WOT all the way to however fast we went (probably 100ish).
Also, I cut my side skirt on the right side to push my exhaust up about 2", since I scrape it on steep driveway, which there are alot of here. It looks cool. I'll get pics.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah the exhaust looks alot better now! I didn't get a pic of it but here's when it was jacked up :welder:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Good news for me!

The hatch Markolon is being done, and I just got a great deal on a Fidenza Flywheel, 65mm TB, and Colt N/A cams! PLUS, I'm buying Mooneggs' CF hood! So, my car will be 100lbs lighter, and a few horsies stronger! Finally the power/ weight ratio will be at least 1HP/10lbs. I'm guessing the car will weigh about 2450, and the crank HP will be about 250.
I'm doing a medical research study so I can afford all of this. When the study is done, I'm going to sell off all of my extra stuff.

Then I just need to find the time, and space to put it all together
Going in will be; the cams, and TB. The Bully 2 clutch, Fidenza Fywheel, LSD, 626 gears, and solid rear motor mount.
:froggie_red:
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

great news Jesse! I love it when a plan comes together.
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey afs at cruising speeds dont matter much .. altough 17 lol wow thats high.. at cruising speeds I can be at 16, sometimes hit 17. Again cruising. remember that afs matter when you are UNDER BOOST or FULL THROTTLE. You want to be lean at cruising speeds. I think at 65 mph tho I am at around 15 afs, i try to stay lean tho, I get awesome fuel economy at 16 affs and have been doing this for quite a while. Have you checked yhr sensor to make sure its good?

When you release the pedal and coast down the afs should read "----"
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”