Sealed, Deep Cycle AGM batteries

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Sealed, Deep Cycle AGM batteries

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Truck's been running a Yellow Top since before I jointed the army, but in Quebec, we hit -20 for a few weeks straight. It hit below -30 for a few days, but I wasn't there at the time, so I can't tell you for -30 and below, but -20, no problems here.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Silkwyrm

Re: Sealed, Deep Cycle AGM batteries

Post by Silkwyrm »

Hey I realize this post is old and you probably got a new battery for future reference though, I went through a couple Red Tops. Eventually did some research on them. Chances are they aren't really dead. My MX-3 has a slow drain on the battery I'm still trying to track down, in the process of of figuring this out I've completely lost the charge on my batteries. First two times I thought the batteries were bad because when I took them to Autozone to charge them they said the battery was bad. Since it was still under warranty, I just got replacement batteries. The last time it happened the warranty was expired. I couldn't believe the amount of problems I have had with these supposedly awesome batteries. So I did some research and found that most battery chargers don't work right with the Optimas, something about not reading enough of an initial charge after a certain amount of time and then just shutting down reading the battery as bad. The fix is to hook up another good battery in parallel with your Optima and then leave it on the charger for a few hours. Then switch to just the Optima till it has a full charge. So I figured I couldn't tell Autozone they were doing this wrong and needed to hook up another battery to mine. So bought a cheap battery charger from Harbor Freight hooked it up with the battery from our other car and the redtop. Did exactly what Optima said to do, and sure enough it took a charge and has been working ever since, and this is a battery Autozone assured me was bad. So even if a shop tells your Redtop battery is bad, try this. Hook the Redtop up to another good battery with jumper cables positive to positive, negative to negative, then hook up the battery charger to the Optima. Let it charge for about two hours. Then remove the other battery and just charge the Optima.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”