Splitting the exhaust!??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Splitting the exhaust!??

Post by Josh »

Actually I think there is a thread here somewhere from Yoda that talks about splitting the pipes from the headers back then merging them back together towards the muffler back into a single. and from what I remember is that they made the most power increase about 2/3's the way back and saw no gains beyond that, but don't quote me on that. You would have to merge them together just past the headers via H pipe or X pipe or it will not balance properly and you will get all sorts of backfiring. It would be cool to run a dual 1.5" pipes all the way back.

Edit: on the + side you could go around the shifter so you could really get some adjustment out of your short shifter.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's a few issues with dual where they must be done right. Designing an exhaust isn't all about being the biggest, it's about being in the butter zone for performance of the gases themselves. Backpressure if more of a myth and it's all about the velocity. With that there's the scavenging effect that helps pull the gasses out and accelerate them. The big one is heat. This also applies to those that hollow out their cats and don't fit a straight pipe inside, is the expansion of gases. The more they expand, the more the cool, and the more they cool, the more they slow down. Keeping the velocity up with half the amount of cylinders generating heat, half the amount of cylinders/half the pulses pushing the gasses, going the same distance. You'd have to do the math to calculate your exhaust piping size to maximise performance and get the gain you want rather than a decrease.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on December 3rd, 2012, 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Single or dual they both look nice BUT only when they're tucked up into the underside and not hanging down or sticking out the back. :shrug: I honestly think that Toyota looks ridiculous. The exhaust is too low and probably hits the road every time he drives it.

Now this is tucked. :2thumbsup:

Mike you raise a good point but because you posted no sexy pictures to go with your point I only read the first line then lost interest. :wink:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh wrote:You would have to merge them together just past the headers via H pipe or X pipe or it will not balance properly and you will get all sorts of backfiring. It would be cool to run a dual 1.5" pipes all the way back.
That shouldn't be an issue with a K series Josh, the pulses even out between the cylinders quite nicely. I'm struggling to remember which thread it was on PT, but one of the members went into great detail on this exact topic, and he worded it quite eloquently. The comparison he used was a V8 where the exhaust pulse timing required an X type pipe to equalize pressure in both banks...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”