ProjectB10 - 1993 Eunos Presso HI-XS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
projectB10
Supporting Member

Re: ProjectB10 - 1993 Eunos Presso HI-XS Special Edition

Post by projectB10 »

I fitted a short shift gear lever a long time ago. I was always a bit disappointed in the resulting trade off between a short lever throw between gears with the slightly more notchy lever action between gears, (1st to 2nd gear).

My thoughts are that simply reflects the consequence of shifting the fulcrum point on the OEM lever.

I wanted something better and especially wanted to try moving the gear knob closer to the steering wheel. I wanted to reduce the amount of time the left hand (RHD here in NZ) spends off the steering wheel.

I wanted to try the 100mm gear lever entension modification that seems to be a reasonably popular modification for the Miata/MX-5. As I have that part of the interior trim in bits at the moment, for other reasons, now seemed as good a time as any to make the change.

Its loosly fitted and the installation is mocked up in the photos. It was a perfect fit both to the short shifter and to the mazdaspeed gear knob.

I cant wait to get it all back together and give it a work out.

Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
tdesws
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by tdesws »

Where did u get such interior? :O
weede_klze

Post by weede_klze »

Is MS p&p that simple to instal like they said in web page?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

lol no one is actually commenting on the shifter mod :freak:

I want to see more pics of the interior - what kind of seats are those? I have not seen those Presso mats before :o :shock:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mooneggs wrote:lol no one is actually commenting on the shifter mod :freak:
No, I'm not going there :wink: :shrug:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I personally like the idea of the shifter mod.

He's shortened the throw, and then made the shifter taller so he can minimize the time his left hand is off the wheel. Yeah, it doesn't fit the typical import image of "Look, I can stuff my hand in this hole and BAM, here's my shifter!", but it does the job he wants it to, and that is all anyone should ever expect out of any PERFORMANCE mod. Sometimes, it's not all about looks.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MrMazda92 wrote:I personally like the idea of the shifter mod.

He's shortened the throw, and then made the shifter taller so he can minimize the time his left hand is off the wheel. Yeah, it doesn't fit the typical import image of "Look, I can stuff my hand in this hole and BAM, here's my shifter!", but it does the job he wants it to, and that is all anyone should ever expect out of any PERFORMANCE mod. Sometimes, it's not all about looks.
"Performance" in relating to what? Ya to get from his wheel to his shifter it's closer, but your physical movement has been increased. It's more distance/movement to shift gears, especially back-to-back when he doesn't get a chance to put his hands back on the wheel.

In the end, it's all about leverage.

The upper section of the shifter can be made shorter. This doesn't change the amout of angle the shifter will move, but will decrease the physical arm movement (distance) to do the same job.

The lower section of the shifter can be made longer. This will change the total angle of movment since the longer the lower section, less movement (angle) is needed to move the components in the transmission (the trans linkage always moves a fixed distance).

Of course, a combination is both is what is done on manufacturered short shifters.

In both cases, the less distance for the driver to move the shifter, the more force the driver has to input into the shfter to make it move. Moreso when the lower section is shortened because that causes your torque/strength to be divided over stock.

The "notchiness" isn't a result of the shifter, directly, but from several side effects that can be individual or in combination:
- Because of the divided torque, little resistances in the shifting mechanisms of the gears get multiplied. Little imperfections that were "forced over" and unnoticed with the stock shifter become much more pronounced.
- Wear in the system, especially since the Mx3 uses linkages rather than a cable shifter. Bushings and and pivoting parts in the shifting system of course get worn. As they get worn, there's more play. Angles and distances get muliplied and increases as the shifter rod (upper and/or lower, but especially the lower) length changes. With that, the minute play in the worn system are get multiplied. These push the shifting linkages inside the trans in ways and directions that they don't like, causing resistances in the shifts and could push the internal components out of spec causing excessive wear and damage.

In the end, a shorter shifter over stock removes the natural "forgiveness" in wear that would literally hide the "slop" in a worn shifter and linkages. Basically his extended shifter is negating any benefit of a short shifter and rehides the flaws that were hidden, but now prominent with the short shifter.

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm going to save a little time, and only answer the part that was in response to my own post.
Nd4SpdSe wrote:"Performance" in relating to what? Ya to get from his wheel to his shifter it's closer, but your physical movement has been increased. It's more distance/movement to shift gears, especially back-to-back when he doesn't get a chance to put his hands back on the wheel.
Short answer? Relative to the owner of the car's preferred driving style. Personal preference and performance are pretty closely linked, as I imagine you should know. Look at your RHD passenger door card, I distinctly remember you posting that you prefer to hang onto that with your left hand, so you didn't have to brace yourself against the steering wheel. I'm sure that many would debate that this was an unnecessary mod, but it drastically affected your driving style, and I would call that a performance mod... See the following:
projectB10 wrote:I wanted something better and especially wanted to try moving the gear knob closer to the steering wheel. I wanted to reduce the amount of time the left hand (RHD here in NZ) spends off the steering wheel.
This wasn't the only reason he gave, but it's enough to explain why he did what he did.
Nd4SpdSe wrote:In the end, it's all about leverage.

The upper section of the shifter can be made shorter. This doesn't change the amout of angle the shifter will move, but will decrease the physical arm movement (distance) to do the same job.

The lower section of the shifter can be made longer. This will change the total angle of movment since the longer the lower section, less movement (angle) is needed to move the components in the transmission (the trans linkage always moves a fixed distance).

Of course, a combination is both is what is done on manufacturered short shifters.

In both cases, the less distance for the driver to move the shifter, the more force the driver has to input into the shfter to make it move. Moreso when the lower section is shortened because that causes your torque/strength to be divided over stock.
In regards to leverage, I doubt many of us in this section lack the basic understanding... The red selection is completely backwards however, I'm going to assume that you meant lengthened, and that it was a typo...

For what it's worth, I've spent countless hours adjusting my pacesetter shifter and driving with it set at various heights/adjustments/throws, as well as quite a few hours endeavoring to reduce shifter slop in my '92. If you are ever stateside, I want you to test the throw and slop(lack thereof) in my car. I am fully aware that adjusting the height of the threaded ball on the PaceSetter shifter affects both the length above, and below the fulcrum(the threaded ball, if you will), It's a concept I grasped at a young age, and applied regularly during the 16 years I sailed and raced boats.

You have to remember man, not everybody is clueless... You aren't required to like what he does with his own car. I know there are things I find distasteful on a few cars... but it's not up to me to build anybody else's car. I rarely even speak my mind negatively, unless it's safety related.(I'm sure you've seen my posts on stretched tires...)

I personally like the idea, even though I wouldn't duplicate it myself. Think of it this way... He bought a short throw shifter, therefor he lengthened the arm below the fulcrum, and then lengthened the one above it. Overall, is this a shorter throw than stock? Maybe, maybe not... Is it shorter than adding height to only the top section? Definitely.

He combined 2 mods, to meet his goals... I say props for thinking outside the box... I know that I spent a great deal of time getting my shifter just right for my tastes, and I'm very happy for the effort. I doubt projectB10 is any less pleased with his own results.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Stop. He'll figure out if he wants to keep it or not on his own without your commentary. ProjectB10 let me know if you want me to clean up your worklog.

Looking forward to hear if you like that setup or not...
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I like the lengthened shifter, reminds me of the old Chevy Cheyenne I learned to drive stick shift on haha.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I think it would be sick if it had a cupholder attached!
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

Mooneggs wrote:Stop. He'll figure out if he wants to keep it or not on his own without your commentary. ProjectB10 let me know if you want me to clean up your worklog.

Looking forward to hear if you like that setup or not...
LOL :D :D Thanks Mate. I appreciate your concern Moooneggs.

I have been away from the PC for a little while so just logged on and catching up on the posts. I am totally relaxed about the exchange of views going on here. Go for it I say!!!

I hope to get it back on the road this weekend so I will report back with my take on the results. It might be a total wash....it might be great..we will see.

Its a small diversion really. I have the inside to bits to fit the MSPnP2. Thats what is all about from a performance point of view.
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
tdesws

Post by tdesws »

projectB10 wrote:
What is that awesome interior you have? :crying:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

It's the 3rd gen interior of the MX-3 only available in right hand drive versions of the Eunos Presso/Autozam AZ-3.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Mooneggs wrote:It's the 3rd gen interior of the MX-3 only available in right hand drive versions of the Eunos Presso/Autozam AZ-3.
Its very very plush in person. Looks 10x better then both the american trims and because it sits in the front of the car more there is a way more room to fit people in the back so its more enjoyable for them
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”