A Proper Big Brake Kit

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
wytbishop

Re: A Proper Big Brake Kit

Post by wytbishop »

I have been through this in every concievable permutation and from every possible direction for over 2 years now.

There is no need for anything more than the Miataspeed rears. they work great and their readily available.

As AaronTietje explained, the MX-3/323/Protege caliper is designed to bolt directly to the spindle, unlike other cars on which the caliper bolts to a bracket which in turn bolts to the spindle. Because of this the stock mounting points for the front calipers are positioned so that they will be in the way...unless you move the caliper away from the center far enough to clear the mounting tabs altogether. Which is why any aftermarket big brake kit will use a 13 or 14" rotor.

The other issue is wheel offset. A 4 piston caliper is going to hit the wheel if you use a rotor with the stock hat height because it's going to be wider than the stock caliper. A rotor with a much taller hat will contact the spindle. The answer to this problem would be to use a wheel with a much lower offset than ours...which again Aaron had to do for his F1 calipers...and cost a lot of money.

I did the Subaru 2 piston upgrade for about $800 and I will say with confidence that this is the ONLY way to do any sort of decent upgrade to the front brakes that doesn't require a larger wheel and a lot of money. Now that I have larger wheels and the 323F spindles I could do a much larger upgrade but it would cost me another $6-700.

I encourage you to try, but I couldn't find a way..and I'm no dummy.

Read this...http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... azda+brake
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

^^^^^^^^^
True True True
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

i will for sure be doing the 04 miata rear caliper upgrade but from your guys experience, was it hard?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It literally could not be easier.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

cool im ordering what i need right now
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The only thing I would caution about the Miata rear brake setup is that the E-brake cables are a bit too long for the new position of the calipers. You should try to figure out a way to move the mounting point of each cable back about an inch or two just to keep the cable from having to make a tight bend right by the caliper.

A piece of metal with two holes in it to elongate the mounting tabs at the trainling arm and under the body is all it would take.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

Rx7 caliper hits the rim, tried and failed.
4 pot willwood, sucess. Had these on for years now so all the parts are out there!

2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.

Return to “New Product Development”