Staggered...

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
crazycanadian

Re: Staggered...

Post by crazycanadian »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:My buddies who sell tires asked me if I wanted to do a staggered setup for my new tires for the 8. Ended up doing some research and apparently wider in the rear creates understeer, so with the relative low torque of the rotary, until I got some power boosters, I won't run staggered, but I'd rather a balanced setup anyway.

On the mx-3, the next set would of been larger in the front for improved handling (see Pontiac GXP)

All depends on the Car... If you run a Porsche depending on set up you need a staggered set up to keep the front end facing the right way...
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Post by youdirtyfox »

Now this is what Im talking about :D Imagine how pimp that 'look' would be on an MX-3!

Tire roll.. whats that :P
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:My buddies who sell tires asked me if I wanted to do a staggered setup for my new tires for the 8. Ended up doing some research and apparently wider in the rear creates understeer, so with the relative low torque of the rotary, until I got some power boosters, I won't run staggered, but I'd rather a balanced setup anyway.

On the mx-3, the next set would of been larger in the front for improved handling (see Pontiac GXP)
Yeah that's what everyone was telling me when I did it. First it was "it will throw off the 50/50" then it was "you will have tons of understeer". I did it anyways. 9" up front and 10's in the rear, the car was balanced at almost a perfect 50/50 with me in the car. Understeer,.. all I could say is what understeer, maybe it was the Proxy R888's talking but I had nothing but grip. The car handled and drove so much better with the staggered setup it was night and day. I really miss how that car drove :(

@ youdirtyfox - That looks so good to me. with the rear end as light as they are I really think it would just improve the handling. but eh.. it looks amazing IMO.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Hellz yeah its probably running the same size tire all round too?! I know I will be (195/50) if I can ever decide on what wheels I'd want for a staggered set up.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

That Honda... :throwup:

Sorry, the stretched tires and excessive camber made me feel queasy. Looks decent I guess, until you have a blowout on the freeway and take out an innocent family. Then you've got garnished wages, a battered conscience, and no license until the day you die.

The stretched tire thing genuinely bothers me. They aren't designed to be used that way, and companies don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars making safe tires for no reason... Safe tires save lives. Imagine having a full blowout at 80 MPH on the freeway, on a drive/steering wheel, without ever expecting it.

The rest of the look is alright, I just don't think stretched tires should be legal. Are they, btw?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Technically speaking over here it is illegal to have any part of the wheel or tire outside of the wheel arch.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I guess that's to avoid throwing rocks around, or similar? I don't mind the offset one bit, It's not my thing but I doubt it's dangerous by itself.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

yeah and water spray.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

crazycanadian wrote:All depends on the Car... If you run a Porsche depending on set up you need a staggered set up to keep the front end facing the right way...
Well, referencing to handling on FWD cars...

Porsche, thats kinda a whole different ball game, motor being in the back and all
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
crazycanadian wrote:All depends on the Car... If you run a Porsche depending on set up you need a staggered set up to keep the front end facing the right way...
Well, referencing to handling on FWD cars...

Porsche, thats kinda a whole different ball game, motor being in the back and all
The post I referenced you were talking about an 8 and how a staggered set up on it would cause understeer... I assumed RWD Rx8...
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

MrMazda92 wrote:That Honda... :throwup:

Sorry, the stretched tires and excessive camber made me feel queasy. Looks decent I guess, until you have a blowout on the freeway and take out an innocent family. Then you've got garnished wages, a battered conscience, and no license until the day you die.

The stretched tire thing genuinely bothers me. They aren't designed to be used that way, and companies don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars making safe tires for no reason... Safe tires save lives. Imagine having a full blowout at 80 MPH on the freeway, on a drive/steering wheel, without ever expecting it.

The rest of the look is alright, I just don't think stretched tires should be legal. Are they, btw?

Ouch Blake!..

This is by no means "stretched", tires have been stretched loge before you or I were born. I agree with you to some extent and I personally don't like it, not my taste, although I respect many that can pull off the style. But this Del-slow is in no way shape or form hazardous to drive. That camber is like -2, not dangerous or hazardous at all! my 8 was -2 and that was within factory specs for the car.

This is stretched

and this is why you don't stretch

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hahaha :lol: Don't take it the wrong way, please! I failed to emphasize the stretching as the danger, my bad! If you can race safely with - camber, I don't see why you can't drive safely with it(with moderation, like anything else).

I can't get passed the stretched tires thing though... Tire companies have been sued to hell for the tiniest imperfections in unmodified, undamaged tires! These tiny imperfections have cost lives... The tire was never, and doubtfully will ever, be designed to stretch like that; If it were, I would expect it to have safety features to make up for the reduced footprint. :shrug: There's no way it's safe, whether or not people have driven 20K, 40K, or even 60K miles with stretched tires, it only takes one incident to hurt an innocent person.

Camber wise, unless you're running ridiculous numbers, and barely have your tires on the ground, the biggest thing you'll hurt is your wallet. :| I see the benefit to slightly negative camber, but this for example: Image

If a car like that skidded through an intersection because the ground was wet, or they overbraked, and someone you cared about was hurt in the accident... what would you do? If it were me... They wouldn't have long to regret their choice.

I'm not a fan of big body kits, underglow lighting, and other things of that nature... but show me someone who's been injured or killed by those? I guess a cheapo body kit falling apart could cause an accident, but I'm referring to body kits in general. :shrug: It's not "how you stretch the tire", it's that it was stretched to begin with. Scary stuff man. :/

The type of people who want -30 degrees of camber, with SUPER stretched tires, aren't exactly driving like a grandma either. I just can't see any positive great enough to overcome the negatives on that one, I just can't. :?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

That is |Japenese car culture at its finest :lol:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Unfortunately, that's part of what gives imports a bad rap around here... I drive down the street, and all people see is a young guy in a red 2 door import. It doesn't matter that I obey the laws, or that I've been driving for more than 7 years. :( The only thing that matters is that I APPEAR to fit a stereotype. I wouldn't be caught dead "street racing", but how can anyone else know that?
It might help if I looked my age(I turn 23 this year, but I still get asked where I go to highschool sometimes.) :lol:

I've been extremely pleased to see the crowd of people that actually DO engage in that ridiculous behavior shrinking monthly. I see fewer fart can Hondas and Nissans every year, but I've seen an increase in Subarus, VWs, and God help us all, Domestics.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Hey Josh, you could always run the staggered set up you want with the wider tires on the rear for the street... When you get to autocross just swap them around and have fun... Daily driving you most likely wont noticed anything by doing that... I wouldn't play with spacers though...

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”