Help! my MT trans is stuck! Hurry!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

Re: Help! my MT trans is stuck! Hurry!

Post by wytbishop »

If it's one of the front ones on the rad support it would be a lot easier to repair. Mine is on subframe so just a little harder to access. Either way it's doable jsut a big pain in the butt. It is safe to drive to a mechanic though. No worries there.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

Yeah, its one of the front bolts. I'm borrowing a drill tomorrow to see if I can get it. I still can't believe the majority of the engine transmission weight is held on by two bolts.
what kind of car IS that?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It isn't. The vast majority of the weight of the engine and tranny is supported by the right and left motor mounts. You can remove the transmission mount member and the whole unit will be well supported from the frame rails by those two mounts.

Also...I wouldn't bother with a drill. You're much better off to have someone cut a small window in the bottom of the rad support and weld in a patch with a new weld nut on the back.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If your going to drill start off with a small diameter drill bit and make sure you drill as close to the center as you can then use a bigger drill bit till your have the majority of the bolt drilled out. The heat from the drilling will help release the broken bolt from the anchor nut and some times if you put your drill on reverse and bind the drill in the broken stud it may come out just from the binding of your drill bit. :D

Oh ya, wear safety glasses so drillings don't get your eye then you'd have to go to the hospital. Good Luck :wink:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

wytbishop wrote:It isn't. The vast majority of the weight of the engine and tranny is supported by the right and left motor mounts. You can remove the transmission mount member and the whole unit will be well supported from the frame rails by those two mounts.
Just to be clear. I am not suggesting that the car can or should be driven without the trans mount member in place. I'm just saying that it is not responsible for supporting the weight of the engine and transmission as you suggested. It would be reasonably safe to drive it with one broken bolt.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

I hear what you're saying. I looked at the mounts, and it looks like its made to keep the engine/trans more steady that actually supporting the weight. That being said, I'm still going to try and fix this bolt. I pretty much snapped the head off halfway through, so I'm gonna drill a bit tonight or tomorrow and see if I can't get it out. :-|

I don't have a welder so anything like that is out of the question. I'm borrowing my buddy's drill for this.

I can't imagine how nice it would be to work on a mint, straight from the factory MX-3.

I can dream, yes?
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

So, that bolt's not gonna be able to be drilled out. I got the crossmember back on but I can still wiggle it a little bit. I'm going to take it to a shop when it's put back together and have them either figure out a way to get it out and/or make a bracket or...

have them weld it up and do everything from the top from now on.

I hate this car.

Here's some fun

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”