Targa Top MX-3?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Targa Top MX-3?

Post by Josh »

Dragon1212 wrote:i was thinking could't i just put a roll cage in it, because cutting the roof out is a major rollover safety risk, the cage would fix the added danger of rolling over in a convertable, as well as support the frame and then the door frames wouldn't look too bad because the rollcage will be there anyway.
True, ideally you would want to add and arch just behind the door where you cut away the roof. I would try and clean up the appearance and build it the cage into the body being welded in several points along the sides and roof line, but a roll bar would do the same thing depending on the the type of cage. I would however do a welded cage vs a bolted cage.
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Dragon1212 »

Josh wrote:
Dragon1212 wrote:i was thinking could't i just put a roll cage in it, because cutting the roof out is a major rollover safety risk, the cage would fix the added danger of rolling over in a convertable, as well as support the frame and then the door frames wouldn't look too bad because the rollcage will be there anyway.
True, ideally you would want to add and arch just behind the door where you cut away the roof. I would try and clean up the appearance and build it the cage into the body being welded in several points along the sides and roof line, but a roll bar would do the same thing depending on the the type of cage. I would however do a welded cage vs a bolted cage.
yea I might do both bolted and welded.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

this thread has a few random pics: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58975

These are from my archive:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the Delslow wannabe looks like its T tops, and the other has the rite idea but so poorly executed... makes me cry inside. I hope that it isnt finished, and just a work in progress. the look is rite and i kinda even like the door frames. I bet you could work the roof rails and not mod the doors, and still have it look good.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

If you're going to make a targa, but just put bars/roll case there, you're just defeating the purpose. Why not just make a REALLY large sunroof and keep the factory rails instead? The green one had the right idea.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:If you're going to make a targa, but just put bars/roll case there, you're just defeating the purpose. Why not just make a REALLY large sunroof and keep the factory rails instead? The green one had the right idea.
because a really large sun roof still has a thick band and still has all the motor crap in it?

Liking the black needs to be cleaned up though if the Green one wasn't so damn ugle it would be a great idea for t tops.

Then again i could do a half targa half sunroof. make the whole roof panel move out instead of a sun roof!

so from the factory sides above the door, install sunroof style slides like i currently have, but have it do the whole roof as a piece rather than just the sun roof. i could go for that! but i still would be reinforcing the stock frame above the car door.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It would be very easy to reinforce the floor. A 1-1/2"x2" HSS tube alone the floor inside the unibody seam from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well with 3/4" carriage bolts through the floor with some 2 inch square 1/4" steel repads...done.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I actually REALLY like the idea of removing the top half of our doors... That's something that has always bugged me about the look of the car, It just doesn't fit it, at least in my head...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Appearance”