My first mx3 build

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: My first mx3 build

Post by Ryan »

I drove 10km with a MISSING injector O ring, fuel everywhere in the bay, No fire.

I've also had a stupid ford barb fitting leak gas through the alternator onto the exahust. No fire.

gas autoignites at around 450ºF. Of course, sparks get hotter than that, and with distributor ignition, its a concern...

being a redneck, I consider myself at least experienced with this stuff...

If you can't find an obvious leak, the little bit of vapour you can smell won't kill you, or anything else, but if there's a puddle, or you can see the moisture, then yes, I'd be concerned....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

I can't believe I'm reading this kind of "advise" from you.
So, because you're a redneck, and nothing happened to you in the past, you're comfortable risking someone else's safety, and maybe their life?
And then, if something happens to him, or to somebody else reading (and eventually following) the garbage you just posted, are you willing to take responsibility for your comments?

So the autoignition temperature for gasoline is 450 °F. Does that make it safe?
Not at all. You of all people should know this.
"Autoignition temperature" is the temperature at which a substance will SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST without the presence of an ignition source.
"Flash point", on the other hand, is the temperature at which a flammable substance will combust, if an ignition source is present. The flash point of gasoline is -43 °C (-45 °F), so I would say, considering that in an engine bay with the engine running there are PLENTY of ignition sources, that makes any leak VERY DANGEROUS, puddle or not.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Inodoro, if it was as dangerous as you say, why don't gas stations blow up every single day? Even if they make you turn off while filling, you drive past the six other people with the pumps on.

Plus, if he can't see the leak, what is autoigniting? the vapour? If its dense enough to propagate a flame, he'd be smelling much more than an odour, it would burn his nose and sour his tongue.

Okay, fine, sure, you SHOULD hunt down the leak... if its even there, not just unburnt exhaust...

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Again, if you are so convinced that a gas leak is not dangerous, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?
I asked you if you were willing to assume full responsibility for the effects of people following the advise you just gave on this thread. WHY ARE YOU AVOIDING THE SUBJECT?

The fallacy of logic you used in your last post, known as "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" (it happened after, so it was caused by), is nothing new.

So, yeah, why don't gas stations blow up every single day?

Of course, like with every other pseudo scientific argument, the same "logic" can be used to "prove" the opposite argument:

Why do you think gas stations are never built as closed buildings, even in places where heavy weather damages them regularly, causing losses in the millions of dollars?

Why do you think they never build an apartment building on top of a gas station, if they're so safe, considering that in some cities, the land occupied for a gas station can be worth a fortune?

Why do you think they have so many safety regulations, being that gas fumes are "nothing to sweat about"? :roll:

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'll put my money where my mouth is with my own vehicles, why would I be responsible for his decisions? I can read whatever I want on a forum, and if I act on it, I'm responsible...

Sigh. My entire premise here is assuming he actually doesn't have a leak. He mechanic couldn't find it, and we've both suggested he re-check. "gas odour" can be from incomplete combustion, a bad cat, or a leaky manifold....

If there are no signs of a leak, it probably isn't a leak, and probably isn't dangerous.

But feel free to take whatever measures you feel necessary.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Ryan wrote:I'll put my money where my mouth is with my own vehicles, why would I be responsible for his decisions? I can read whatever I want on a forum, and if I act on it, I'm responsible...

So you give somebody, who will intrinsically trust you just because of your post count, unsafe, irresponsible advise, and then you make THEM responsible for trusting you? :roll:
So what did you give advise for in the first place, if you're not willing to stand by it?
Ryan wrote:Sigh. My entire premise here is assuming he actually doesn't have a leak. He mechanic couldn't find it, and we've both suggested he re-check.
And what's your basis to assume he doesn't have a leak? Because the MECHANIC said so?
And NO, "we both" didn't suggest he re-check. I suggested he re-check. YOU suggested he "didn't sweat it".
Ryan wrote:"gas odour" can be from incomplete combustion, a bad cat, or a leaky manifold....

If there are no signs of a leak, it probably isn't a leak, and probably isn't dangerous.
"Gas odour" can mean many things. Sure it can be from incomplete combustion. It can also be a prankster pouring gas under his car. But it can also be from a dangerous leak inside the engine compartment. And he may not see a puddle for many reasons: maybe because the leak may be landing on the hot engine, and evaporating on contact, or maybe because the gas, being a VERY VOLATILE substance, just evaporates in the hours the car is off, after the fuel system loses pressure.
We don't know why he's smelling gas. That's why the RESPONSIBLE advise to give him is to FIND THE LEAK, and FIX IT, not to "not sweat it".

Last, I don't need to take any measures. I STAND BY THE ADVISE I GIVE. The fact that you don't speaks clearly as of its validity.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

For all of the times you claim language barrier for your arguments, I've always felt it wasn't the typical barrier. You know the words, but it seems all of the meanings are slightly tweaked....

I do agree with you, but I do not feel as strongly.

My post count is irrelevant... If you decide to trust a stranger, its up to you. There's many many examples of this. A common student body thought process is "question your professors". Just because someone is old, experienced, has a high post count, or is found to be knowledgeable, does not make them necessarily right, or reliable. If you feel differently, you're a sheep who cannot sort the gems from the crap under your own brain power, which is an unfortunate reality for some people...
Gas smell could be many things, but unless your MPG is being affected, I wouldn't sweat it. Really, gas only explodes in movies.
The point here was to imply that, if the leak is enough to be noticed, you should be concerned. Admittedly its not the best way of saying this... but that was the intent. If you're loosing enough fuel that you can detect it, its a problem.
If you can't find an obvious leak, the little bit of vapour you can smell won't kill you, or anything else, but if there's a puddle, or you can see the moisture, then yes, I'd be concerned....
Another way of saying the same thing. Every leak has an origin, and it won't vaporize immediately. That is impossible. A hose fitting that is leaking will LOOK wet, an injector seal will LOOK wet, a crakced hose will have a distinct wet spot on it... Nothing that carries fuel gets hot enough to vaporize it immediately.

At this point we're cluttering this thread to death, so if you want to say something else, I'm glad to continue the discussion in PM's... Moderators should feel free to clean this up...

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Ryan wrote:At this point we're cluttering this thread to death,
Finally we agree on something.

No, I have nothing else to say. At this moment it's evident, at least to me, that you're only interested in twisting your own words, in order to save face.
I think I have made my point abundantly clear. Now it's up to the op to make up his mind.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Why can't we be friends?
Why can't we be friends?
:lol:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Remember that one time.. When this was a worklog ruined by discussion of gas fumes and leaks.
Inodoro Pereyra

solo_ryder wrote:Remember that one time.. When this was a worklog ruined by discussion of gas fumes and leaks.
Hmmm...you mean the same one that's now being ruined by people whining about a discussion that ended 10 hrs. ago?
Yeah, I remember...

Diogenes of Sinope.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Did it end? Seems like you wanna keep posting in the thread.

:)
1st_mx3

Post by 1st_mx3 »

Ok....now I have a new problem...if it is not one thing it is another. Two of my vehicles are down. So my Mx3 has been making some crazy a-- noises so I took it to my mechanic and he informed me today that he is sure it is the transmission but what in the transmission he does not know until he took it out. The one thing that I was thinking was what could it be. I was wondering if I could just have him do a repair of the transmission or just buy another transmission for the time being. Right now is car audio season so I'm trying to get my truck up and moving. so I was trying to be a little cheap here but at the same time something I don't have to revisit for atleast a year. Can you guys help me out here please...oh ya it's a 5 speed manual and the problem was like the whole car was shaking and I thought a tire was going to fly off...lol
93 mx3 Gs v6
racycle

Post by racycle »

I'm barley a mechanic so I cant help with your problems. However I would like to say that your car is looking pretty clean inside and out. How much rust (if any) have you found on the car?

Also I noticed the link of the motor you want took me to a 13B. What are your plains with this? :P

racycle's Worklog!
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76991
-RIP

Current Toy
http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80470

Please don't tap on the hood. It disturbs the gerbils.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Tighten your wheel nuts.

Jack up the front (both tires) and let it idle in 2nd gear and try and pinpoint the issue.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”